Home

Roster/Draft Class creators heads up: Intangible Rating Effect

This is a discussion on Roster/Draft Class creators heads up: Intangible Rating Effect within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Roster/Draft Class creators heads up: Intangible Rating Effect

Or as i like to call it: The Franchise-Value-Adjustment-Rating or the Determine-Lineup-Rating (Or, Overall-Adjustment-Rating if you want to be less esotherical about it)

Does not exactly roll off the tongue but i am 99.99% sure the rating does not impact play on the court or behavior in MyGM or stuff like Chemistry.

There is a reason why it is hidden away at the veeeeery end of the rating column.

Part 1: Current Roster/Roster Making

Basically it is used to mask the inability of the AI to value players for their on.court ability (as a 5th starter/role player, a 75 rated player who is a lights out shooter and great defender would be much more useful than a 76 rated alround player who does nothing really good)

There are tons of players at the upper echelon with super high rating there (even Cousins who has a 98 ), on the other hand you have players that everybody knows are usefull/well rated on the court that get a very low rating by the game to ensure they don't get rated too highly by the CPU in Franchise modes.

Take a guy like Ilyasova who is 75 with 50 ITGBL. Give him 80 and he'd be rated 78 OVRL. Or Rubio at 50. You can't deny his great passing and defense rating, so what can you do to lower his OVRL ? ITGBL at 50, problem solved.
It also seems a lazy way out to lower players "rating" after bad seasons or who are in decline without actually having to adjust that many ratings that impact play on the court. Take a look at Carmelo Anthony or Dwight Howard, who still has great ratings where it counts but now just 40 Intangibles. He'd be rated 86 instead of 81 if he had the same ITGBL rating as Cousins. Carmelo would still be an 89 instead of a 84. EA clearly uses the rating in this instance to drive home the point to it's sim engine that Howard is "washed up, please don't value" without actually having to impact his play on the court too much.

On the flip side you have a guy like Brook Lopez who has has quite a few significant on-court ratings for a big very low (defense, rebounding), but thanks to his 98 ITGBL is still rated an 84, making him a player with some value as far as the AI can determine.

Essentially, the 2K Roster would have even lower base ratings without the inflated ITGBL Rating for many players.

Last edited by Whomario; 09-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Roster/Draft Class creators heads up: Intangible Rating Effect

Part 2: Draft Classes/DC Makers

Now, how is it relevant here ? The game does NOT dynamically adjusts these during franchise, so a players Overall-ceiling is in fact capped by his starting ITGBL rating which mostly is much lower for draftees. Thus they never quite reach their potential OVRL despite continuing to develop individual ratings year after year. This IMO is part of the reason why in future saves, you see so many great shooters, great passers or great "XYZ" players, even when lowering draft class quality significantly.

Because the draft classes would seem to be even more over-rated if they would not have such low ITGBL Rating to begin with.

A 75 rated player with 50 ITGBL will be 73 with 25 (lowest possible) and a 79 with 99. That's a big swing.

This rating also does not change over time, so this could be used to adjust progression/regression of OVRL without having to touch the default settings for actual progression/regression/training effects.

It is definitely something to watch when creating Draft Classes and Rosters, because as said: A game generated with 75 rating and 40 ITGBL on the court could be the equal to a 78 with 80 ITGBL.

If you want some "fun", just mass edit the rating down for all players, than raise it to 50 and see what happens to the OVRL structure.

2023 League (because it still has the current crop of dominant players near their peak), remember it is customized with regard to Reg/Prog/Training effect and uses decently balanced classes i quickly created/adjusted for the top 20 or so players.

Numbers in brackes = Starting Roster/Game created "rookies"

ITGBL default = 90+ = 7 (6/1) /// 85+ = 25 (23/2) /// 82-84 =20 (15/5)
ITGBL all 50 = 90+ = 1 (1/1) /// 85+ = 17 (14/3) /// 82-84 = 21 (11/10)

While this is not super conclusive and only one test that was not tuned for this from the start, i think it does show that one needs to account for the rating. If turning down draft class quality (in MyLeague/MyGM or before hand manually), one has to either adjust the starting Roster by removing the absurdly high ITGBL ratings or create really low rated draft classes and then raise the ITGBL.

Personally, i would suggest to set every player to the same number from the Go. I used 50 this test, but would actually suggest 62 as it is the "happy medium" between 99 and 25. I was just too lazy to redo the test
Old 09-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

I am actually testing out 25 INTG for everyone and seeing if that fixes the contract issues in future years where guys dont get signed. I also dropped everyones potential by 5 points and am in the process of changing peak ends. I'll keep this updated
Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogurtProducer
I am actually testing out 25 INTG for everyone and seeing if that fixes the contract issues in future years where guys dont get signed. I also dropped everyones potential by 5 points and am in the process of changing peak ends. I'll keep this updated
The thing is that the original roster is perfectly fine in terms of ratings-spread, so personally i would go with a more conservative number But yeah, this should definitely help in that regard and while it is a crutch, it's at least a useful one ...

Issue i am seeing is that the original roster is actively using the 25-99 spread in that rating, so i would personally again pick sth in between to not punish the legitimate top players (like A. Davis) too much. Maybe i'll go 50 and then manually actually edit the players ability (guys like Melo etc down)

Keep us updated on that test, definitely.

Last edited by Whomario; 09-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Intangible Rating is just an Overall Rating tool to raise and lower the Rating.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Intangible Rating is just an Overall Rating tool to raise and lower the Rating.
Which is what i detailed and which makes it troublesome since it is largely randomized and generally much lower for incoming rookies. Basically it is a crutch that is used by 2K, but is then not used anymore as you go further into MyLeague/MyGM. I mean, the Roster makers lower the rating to make veterans OVRL go down, but the game does not do the same.

Ergo: There is a problem.

Like said, i think the way to go would be to standardize it as in MyLeague/MyGM guys do decline in their core ratings at the end of their career and even after injuries.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomario
Which is what i detailed and which makes it troublesome since it is largely randomized and generally much lower for incoming rookies. Basically it is a crutch that is used by 2K, but is then not used anymore as you go further into MyLeague/MyGM. I mean, the Roster makers lower the rating to make veterans OVRL go down, but the game does not do the same.

Ergo: There is a problem.

Like said, i think the way to go would be to standardize it as in MyLeague/MyGM guys do decline in their core ratings at the end of their career and even after injuries.
I think it was made so if a Real NBA player complained about their Rating being too low, it could be raised quickly without much effort. That is just my opinion. Sorry i wasn't trying to downplay your research, it was very detailed. As far as Draft Classes that is why I customize my own classes. If you don't you have an issue.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
I think it was made so if a Real NBA player complained about their Rating being too low, it could be raised quickly without much effort. That is just my opinion. Sorry i wasn't trying to downplay your research, it was very detailed. As far as Draft Classes that is why I customize my own classes. If you don't you have an issue.
Even if you do, you have an issue unless you standardize it and make a system, IMO. I mean, the current crop of players continues to have 90+ ITGBL no matter what your classes are that you import.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »