Home

Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project...

This is a discussion on Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project... within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
I think you are grossly underestimating the scope of the project you are undertaking. It took me eight years, in free time mind you, to really get the quality bar where it's at for my own project, and I'm a senior level engineer. What you guys see is just the end result spreadsheet, but not the whole database that powers the system, or the 10,000 lines of script code that efficiently aggregates all the data, or the hundreds of hours spend writing special edge case code because NBA dot com or basketball-reference dot com or Synergy have inconsistencies or holes in their data.

Plus, you have to take into account unexpected costs, like, for instance, I pay 30 dollars *per month* for stats from Synergy.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a friendly forewarning that the estimates you're giving here are highly, highly ambitious.
Umm? I've finished about half of the current roster already. I enjoy this, and it was hardly difficult. I know what I'm getting into, and I've already tested everything before in terms of if I could complete this. Trust me, I can do this. I would not have started this thread not knowing this. This isn't some idea that just popped into my head.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Honestly, you might even be better off joining an already established group with similar lofty goals and a strong foundation.

Right now, we're about six members strong getting ready for September and always looking for new people to bring into the fold. If that interests you at all, drop me a line and I'll introduce you to the team. If not, good luck with your project.
Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to pass. I'm sorry. You can doubt that I can do this alone. In a month I've completed a good share of the present day roster, all while also creating a relatively new rating system for how the players are judged sorta like archetypes based on play styles, tiers, and a few other factors. I've tested the simulation, found what increases what and vice versa. I can do this solo. It just takes time. So much so that I can't just do this without any extra incentive. And it's not like I'm charging right away, no, I just need notice that people would be interested. Charging wouldn't come until the project was finished.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

Update:

Would anyone be interested in draft classes? I won't be uploading them, but would anyone be interested in a draft class guide?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
Pro

Would like to see some of the progress that has been made. Solo projects are not for everyone. Good luck. Honestly
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Would like to see some of the progress that has been made. Solo projects are not for everyone. Good luck. Honestly
Okay, I can copy out a few players of your choice for a separate file to screenshot and show you. I'll let you pick the players. Just a few.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »