Home

1998-99 Roster Project (PS4)

This is a discussion on 1998-99 Roster Project (PS4) within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 1998-99 Roster Project (PS4)

Are you uploading as you go? Or will you be waiting until it's complete to upload it?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #10
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenKing94
It gets harder the further you go back making 90s rosters extremely difficult to get truly accurate. I'm working on a 06-07 roster and the method I use is a lot of cross referencing. Before the game out, I made a spreadsheet with the players salary from that year. You can find it through basketball reference or google search a players name followed by "salary hoopshype" for example, "Patrick Ewing salary hoopshype" and it details the players salary for that year. Again tho, going into the 90s is difficult because this information wasn't as out there much. Next look at salary per year and you can get an idea of the length of a contract. If I see player A make 2 mil a year for 3 years, followed by 15mil for 4 consecutive years followed by 8 mil for 2 consecutive years, those are likely the lengths of contracts. Cross reference with wikipedia to see what was going on as well, if there were player or team options. You may need to dabble in google archive if you really wanna perfect this. Lastly, you need to convert it to modern numbers because of inflation and the salary cap much higher now then previously. You can use this formula:

X = 1998 player salary
Y = 1998 Salary Cap
Z = modern salary cap (101,869,000)

X/Y = A

A*Z = 1998 salary converted to modern.

Classic roster are awesome just know there is A LOT of time behind making them. More than a weeks worth of time
I can echo this, last year I found a pretty good base roster someone had created for the 1998-99 season, but between age edits, number edits and converting contracts to the modern salary cap I never finished as it was an immense amount of work. The contracts are by far the most tedious
Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Rookie

Been working hard at getting this roster right and having a heck of a good time doing it. I have now completed 15 teams (that number even surprised me, I thought I only had 12 max), so we're more than halfway home!

But teams get much more challenging now; there are far fewer players currently filling out teams like the Cavs, Nuggets and others. I've also gotten much more efficient at creating players, so I can definitely see myself working through these at a decent rate.

The teams I have finished are:

Philadelphia 76ers, Milwaukee Bucks, Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, Utah Jazz, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, Seattle Supersonics, Portland Trail Blazers.

Question for All: I see two reasonable options for the necessary 30th team: either a team of low-rated players who were signed to teams and played a couple of games but didn't make the final cut of 15, or a realistic team of players who were either still under contract, starring in Europe or, for one reason or another, were out of the league.

Here are my thoughts for the latter team. Also taking suggestions as to the identity of the team:

PG - Bobby Hurley
SG - Lionel Simmons
SF - Ken Norman
PF - Zoran Savic
C - Sharone Wright

PG - Tyus Edney
PG - B.J. Tyler
SG - Craig Ehlo
SG - Kevin Edwards
SF/SG - Sasha Danilovic
SF - Ed O'Bannon
PF/C - Roy Tarpley
PF/C - Dino Radja
PF - Martin Muursepp
C - Stacey King

This is the kind of roster I believe could compete among the league's lesser teams, looks like a genuine roster of guys at the time, and gives guys who would've been playing regularly something to do without ruining the possibilities in the FA pool with Jordan, Clyde, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chederer
Are you uploading as you go? Or will you be waiting until it's complete to upload it?
I hadn't even considered sharing it prior to completing; must be a force of habit from work

That said, yeah, I should. You guys know a lot more than I do about certain players and could help me along with attribute and tendency issues. I know a lot of these players aren't perfect yet, neither are the teams. I'd say the base rosters are going extremely well but I still need to perfect attributes, contracts, coaches, etc.

I plan to keep plugging away all day, we'll see what kind of tweaks I make. If I'm happy with it I'll share it before going to bed tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
Rookie

Haha damn right on man. Yeah keep on truckin', you're far far ahead of where I am at. Again feel free to take anything you would like from my roster or draft class, they're up on PSN. I've updated them both today. The 98 Draft class has 35 ish guys from 81-51OVR, and all the 2k generated randoms have been lowered to 50. PSN Name is Chederer.

If there's any specific way I can help I would be glad to. Either way I will start really working out the 99 draft/future draft classes tonight.

My 0.02 on the 30th team, I'm going to make it a team of fun guys (Spud Webb and Manute Bol, Clyde Drex, among others) as the OKC Thunder because I just personally like the team and think they have a good fanbase. But I may instead use an old ABA build (Spirits of St Louis or Kentucky Colonels maybe). There's a cool Spirits of St Louis build out there on the PSN. My roommate actually made a really nice build for a Montreal team too.

Awesome work though dude, can't wait to start a playthrough with these rosters.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Haha damn right on man. Yeah keep on truckin', you're far far ahead of where I am at. Again feel free to take anything you would like from my roster or draft class, they're up on PSN. I've updated them both today. The 98 Draft class has 35 ish guys from 81-51OVR, and all the 2k generated randoms have been lowered to 50. PSN Name is Chederer.

If there's any specific way I can help I would be glad to. Either way I will start really working out the 99 draft/future draft classes tonight.

My 0.02 on the 30th team, I'm going to make it a team of fun guys (Spud Webb and Manute Bol, Clyde Drex, among others) as the OKC Thunder because I just personally like the team and think they have a good fanbase. But I may instead use an old ABA build (Spirits of St Louis or Kentucky Colonels maybe). There's a cool Spirits of St Louis build out there on the PSN. My roommate actually made a really nice build for a Montreal team too.

Awesome work though dude, can't wait to start a playthrough with these rosters.
If it's no trouble with you, I may take a peek at some of your 1999 roster and see if there's any DNA you have that could aid my process along. With proper credit given upon publish, of course.

I've finished a couple more: the Grizzlies and Nets. We're getting there!
Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #14
Rookie

Oh for sure man, go nuts.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
Rookie

Hey man not sure if it's yours or not but somebody appears to have uploaded another crack at a 98 roster, it's called "1998+" on PSN. Used some of that roster to help fill out mine last night. It's incomplete but there are a good amount of 98-99 players in there lurking around. I have to run to work today ugh, but I'm gonna give that a good comb through this afternoon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
Rookie

UPDATE: I now have only four teams remaining!

The Wizards and Heat should be done in no time, but the Cavs and Clippers are much more daunting, and I also have to build the 30th team from scratch and build up the free agent pool as well. I don't imagine these taking terribly long; I'm having a lot of fun.

I know I said I'd share last night but I'm getting awfully close to having the base roster done already and feel that would be a good time to share. Liberally, I can see it happening tonight. Conservatively, I'll have it ready by Tuesday or Wednesday. Once you all have that, I'll get to work on coaches, contracts and perfecting attributes.

Quote:
Hey man not sure if it's yours or not but somebody appears to have uploaded another crack at a 98 roster, it's called "1998+" on PSN. Used some of that roster to help fill out mine last night. It's incomplete but there are a good amount of 98-99 players in there lurking around. I have to run to work today ugh, but I'm gonna give that a good comb through this afternoon.
I'll take a look!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »