Home

1983-84 NBA Season (PS4) Work-in-Progress Thread

This is a discussion on 1983-84 NBA Season (PS4) Work-in-Progress Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 1983-84 NBA Season (PS4) Work-in-Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlplayboy23
Maybe just fill the teams with a some.free agents from that year or some players that retired the season before

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Normally I would do this - but filling seven teams that way is going to eat up all of the players, and then I won't have anyone to be a free agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsmaniac
I like running a MyLeague somewhat realistic to real-life of the season, so I always blank the extra teams out with bottom rated guys, let them go 0-82 or close, and try to keep the win totals of the real teams realistic (no one winning 70 or anything like that), but I know that's not as fun for others, so I'll just do it myself when the roster drops lol
I guess that works if you're only going to play one season. I'm trying to make this long-term playable, though - like make sure the 84 and 85 draft classes are filled in so a person could theoretically play out the 80s. But almost no matter what I do, those seven teams are going to be the worst teams in the league and therefore draft the best players in each draft. Michael Jordan going to to Grizzlies, or whatever, seems pretty disappointing.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #18
MVP

MavsManiac4Life's Arena

OVR: 11

Fictional versions of those franchises with lower rated fake players of free agents of the time/globetrotters/USBL players etc. seems most logical to me if you're trying to go long-term.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Pro

Hey Fcf are you still planning to release the 83-84 roster?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentthealien
Hey Fcf are you still planning to release the 83-84 roster?
I plan to, yes. I'm still running into a brick wall when it comes to filling out the missing teams. Targeting the end of the year if all goes well.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #21
Rookie

I don’t think there’s a perfect bullet solution for filling out the seven teams that didn’t exist, but here’s one idea.

Protect six players on the existing teams, maybe the top six in win shares. The next two best in win shares per team go into a pool, a sort of expansion draft pool, and they’re distributed among the seven empty teams.

You could even assign which players go from which teams. For example, the Raptors get the Celtics, Bulls and Pacers’ reps. It should amount to eight players per team.

Then you could fill out rosters for both existing and non-existent teams with recently retired players or even a select few international players. If there were seven added teams in 1983, chances are, some retired players or ones whose career ended in 1983 would have played slightly longer anyway.

The goal would be to have at least 10 “real” players per team. Then fill out the remaining slots with dummy players.

Is it flawed solution? Yes. Will it dilute existing teams? Definitely. Might it rob realism? Of course. Might the filled out expansion teams still suck and hog the draft picks? Distinct possibility.

But the way I see it, having seven teams with dummy rosters isn’t any more realistic, so why not at least use real players?

It’s a shame 2K doesn’t allow customization of league size. I actually think it would be fun to go through the years with the league set at, say, 24 teams to see how the talent would coalesce from the years where there were more teams.

Last edited by Bubbler; 11-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbler
I don’t think there’s a perfect bullet solution for filling out the seven teams that didn’t exist, but here’s one idea.

Protect six players on the existing teams, maybe the top six in win shares. The next two best in win shares per team go into a pool, a sort of expansion draft pool, and they’re distributed among the seven empty teams.

You could even assign which players go from which teams. For example, the Raptors get the Celtics, Bulls and Pacers’ reps. It should amount to eight players per team.

Then you could fill out rosters for both existing and non-existent teams with recently retired players or even a select few international players. If there were seven added teams in 1983, chances are, some retired players or ones whose career ended in 1983 would have played slightly longer anyway.

The goal would be to have at least 10 “real” players per team. Then fill out the remaining slots with dummy players.

Is it flawed solution? Yes. Will it dilute existing teams? Definitely. Might it rob realism? Of course. Might the filled out expansion teams still suck and hog the draft picks? Distinct possibility.

But the way I see it, having seven teams with dummy rosters isn’t any more realistic, so why not at least use real players?

It’s a shame 2K doesn’t allow customization of league size. I actually think it would be fun to go through the years with the league set at, say, 24 teams to see how the talent would coalesce from the years where there were more teams.
Nonononono

Lähetetty minun LG-M250 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

http://sportgeek.wixsite.com/sportblogs
Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
Rookie

If your looking for good cap formulas, there is a specific thread just on historic cap players, check it out!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »