Home

Shot/Touches Tendencies

This is a discussion on Shot/Touches Tendencies within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

OVR: 5
Shot/Touches Tendencies

Do any of you roster makers have a rough formula for shots and touch tendencies? For instance if a guy is say 88 shot would you put his touches +5 or how do you go about it?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Shot/Touches Tendencies

I just do it based on my own knowledge.

Touches is how often they'll be involved in playsets.
Shots is more like a "trigger" likelihood.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I usually take the tendencies of 2 similar players and then adjust off of that based on how the guy played compared to those 2 guys. However, this is with the caveat that some of the NBA2K tendencies make no sense. I've seen Ray Allen with like a 75 shot and a 45 touches....which makes some sense as he was more of a shooter than a ball handler. But then I've also seen a Chris Webber from the Kings years with 88 shot and 57 touches and that makes no sense as the Kings ran their offense through him. There definitely isn't a limitation on post players to explain that one either because I saved the ratings from the Barkley - Dream Team version that was out a couple of years ago and he has upper 90s for both shots and touches.

If I didn't know the player well enough to come up with a solid rating for touches, then I would look up his stats (FGA, FTA, assists and TOs) to get an idea of how much he touched the ball during the game.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
I just do it based on my own knowledge.

Touches is how often they'll be involved in playsets.
Shots is more like a "trigger" likelihood.
That's how I do it too. I didn't know if some of the roster makers had a better formula for it. I just go off my gut
Old 09-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo3772
I usually take the tendencies of 2 similar players and then adjust off of that based on how the guy played compared to those 2 guys. However, this is with the caveat that some of the NBA2K tendencies make no sense. I've seen Ray Allen with like a 75 shot and a 45 touches....which makes some sense as he was more of a shooter than a ball handler. But then I've also seen a Chris Webber from the Kings years with 88 shot and 57 touches and that makes no sense as the Kings ran their offense through him. There definitely isn't a limitation on post players to explain that one either because I saved the ratings from the Barkley - Dream Team version that was out a couple of years ago and he has upper 90s for both shots and touches.

If I didn't know the player well enough to come up with a solid rating for touches, then I would look up his stats (FGA, FTA, assists and TOs) to get an idea of how much he touched the ball during the game.
Wouldn't you want touches higher than shot tho so they would get enough touches to reach there shot tendency level. Idk just wondering. Some of 2k tendencies are confusing. Like for instance not stars cause both would be high but average players I will have something like this. Say his shot is 74 I'd have his touches about 78 or 79

Last edited by JBCAROLINAKID; 09-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCAROLINAKID
Wouldn't you want touches higher than shot tho so they would get enough touches to reach there shot tendency level. Idk just wondering. Some of 2k tendencies are confusing. Like for instance not stars cause both would be high but average players I will have something like this. Say his shot is 74 I'd have his touches about 78 or 79

I don't believe they are intertwined like that. I believe touches would be the tendency to touch ball on offense in any given possession and shot would be the tendency to shoot when the player does have the ball...at least that's what I've seen when testing out my CAPs. So a guy like John Stockton would have touched the ball basically every time down the court and usually multiple times per possesion but he didn't shoot a lot (touches should be significantly higher than shot). Then you have guys who play off the ball and were more spot up shooters....Steve Kerr (older years), John Paxson, etc. Those guys didn't handle the ball a lot but they got their shots up when they got their chance (shot should be significantly higher than touches. Finally, you've got the guys like Iverson and Arenas who were ball dominant and gunned up a lot of shots (both shot and touches should be high). Like I said though, some of the NBA2K tendencies for the legends seem spot on and others have no rhyme or reason to them.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

Ok gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it for me. Some things are kinda self explanatory but I know some tendencies affect things you might not expect them too so figured I'd ask the experts

Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCAROLINAKID
Do any of you roster makers have a rough formula for shots and touch tendencies? For instance if a guy is say 88 shot would you put his touches +5 or how do you go about it?

I've been experimenting with a Shot Tendency formula using the regular season stats:

FGA/MP*100

After reading the discussion here, it made me re-look my Touches Tendency. I updated it to:

(FGA+FTA+AST+TO)/MP*100

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »