Home

bigdougswan's 2K19 Fictional Draft Classes

This is a discussion on bigdougswan's 2K19 Fictional Draft Classes within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #49
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: bigdougswan's 2K19 Fictional Draft Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinScott
My favorite last year was Langston Flynn! I never had him on a team but I used your classes in my MyLeague where a player lock onto a created player and he was always fun to go h2h against. Definitely understand keeping it fresh though!

You know Langston Flynn I remember that guy, ended up on the Pacers in my save with my Jacksonville expansion team.

He destroyed me regularly when I went up against him. Just played about 2 1/2 seasons on this league though, because I go with 82 games and 12 min quarter length and it takes a lot of time. Just remember this guy winning the ROTY in season 2 while I ended up picking Dennis Givens I think his name was. He was actually pretty good as well.

Shoutout to you, bigdougswan for creating the best fictional draft classes imo. As I don't own 2k19 yet, I will probably go back to 2k18 and start over again with custom updated rosters and your draft classes, simulate 1 or 2 seasons with a bad team and start from there. And I'm definitely checking out those classes as soon as I get my hands on 2k19 eventually.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 3

These are really, really cool. I've been thinking about doing a MyLeague with the Sonics as an expansion franchise, and might give these a run. Three quick questions:

1. Does the game do a good job of just saying the players name, or am I going to get stuck with a bunch of nicknames like "Hotshot" and "The Prophet"?

2. Do you recommend randomizing things when it gives you the option like when you download the rosters, or just keeping it as is?

3. How close are these ratings to real-life draft classes? I don't like drafts with an abundance of 75+, or with mega-rated players, I like very realistic classes. Obviously some classes are better than others. It looks like that's the case with what you posted for V2. But is it like unrealistic where 4-5 people are 83+? I don't want to spoil myself, so I'm not going to look myself.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Ryan_M
You know Langston Flynn I remember that guy, ended up on the Pacers in my save with my Jacksonville expansion team.

He destroyed me regularly when I went up against him. Just played about 2 1/2 seasons on this league though, because I go with 82 games and 12 min quarter length and it takes a lot of time. Just remember this guy winning the ROTY in season 2 while I ended up picking Dennis Givens I think his name was. He was actually pretty good as well.

Shoutout to you, bigdougswan for creating the best fictional draft classes imo. As I don't own 2k19 yet, I will probably go back to 2k18 and start over again with custom updated rosters and your draft classes, simulate 1 or 2 seasons with a bad team and start from there. And I'm definitely checking out those classes as soon as I get my hands on 2k19 eventually.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed 2K18 classes. I'm hoping that I learned something for 2K19. I definitely think the draft guides took a big step forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut7
These are really, really cool. I've been thinking about doing a MyLeague with the Sonics as an expansion franchise, and might give these a run. Three quick questions:

1. Does the game do a good job of just saying the players name, or am I going to get stuck with a bunch of nicknames like "Hotshot" and "The Prophet"?

2. Do you recommend randomizing things when it gives you the option like when you download the rosters, or just keeping it as is?

3. How close are these ratings to real-life draft classes? I don't like drafts with an abundance of 75+, or with mega-rated players, I like very realistic classes. Obviously some classes are better than others. It looks like that's the case with what you posted for V2. But is it like unrealistic where 4-5 people are 83+? I don't want to spoil myself, so I'm not going to look myself.

Thanks!

An expansion MyLeague with the Sonics sounds amazing.

1. I'm doing my best to use names that have commentary audio because I, like you, can't stand hearing nicknames. I would probably have to simulate a few more seasons and play more games to be sure, but you shouldn't hear many of them. While I try to use names that have commentary audio, I also don't like the idea of reusing certain names just because the audio plays. For example, I'd hate to use a somewhat unique last name like Lillard or Ibaka or something just to have the commentator say a name.

2. I would probably recommend playing through once without randomizing, because I've tried to create a couple of interesting busts. My understanding is that randomizing will change their peak start/end and I don't feel like you're going to see many true busts with it randomizing. So I'd say play through a franchise once without randomizing, and then randomize the next franchise you play through because you'll then have an idea of who the busts will be. I've also toyed around with the idea of releasing new versions of the draft classes every so often so that the outcomes vary a little more.

3. Great point. If you see my "Draft Guru" posts on here, that number is supposed to represent one draft expert's estimation of the potential of those players. They definitely won't come into the league above an 85. I believe at one point while creating classes for 2K18, I created a guy who came in at 83 to 84. That was like a once in a generation player. If I put a guy in at 82-84 this year, you'll definitely see a storyline talking about him potentially becoming the greatest player ever. One rule of thumb I try to use is that there shouldn't be more than about five players coming in rated above 75 unless it is an outstanding draft. In addition, there should really not be more than 15-20 players who will become really good starters. The biggest thing I'm considering when releasing these draft classes is that I want the progression to feel authentic. One thing I noticed about 2K19 is that rookies start to progress quickly, even before their rookie seasons. I've adjusted to this by bringing down starting ratings a bit. Still, you'll see some guys getting to the high 80s by the summer after their rookie season. That also feels pretty authentic, especially when you look at last year's rookie class. Tatum, Simmons, and Mitchell are already superstars. For the best of the best, it shouldn't really be a 5 year grind to become highly rated. That being said, there are also going to be classes where only one or two players ever get to a superstar level. I think the classes this year are definitely mindful of all of that, and if anything plays any differently please let me know and I'll make some changes.

Last edited by bigdougswan; 10-29-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #53
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdougswan
An expansion MyLeague with the Sonics sounds amazing.

1. I'm doing my best to use names that have commentary audio because I, like you, can't stand hearing nicknames. I would probably have to simulate a few more seasons and play more games to be sure, but you shouldn't hear many of them. While I try to use names that have commentary audio, I also don't like the idea of reusing certain names just because the audio plays. For example, I'd hate to use a somewhat unique last name like Lillard or Ibaka or something just to have the commentator say a name.

2. I would probably recommend playing through once without randomizing, because I've tried to create a couple of interesting busts. My understanding is that randomizing will change their peak start/end and I don't feel like you're going to see many true busts with it randomizing. So I'd say play through a franchise once without randomizing, and then randomize the next franchise you play through because you'll then have an idea of who the busts will be. I've also toyed around with the idea of releasing new versions of the draft classes every so often so that the outcomes vary a little more.

3. Great point. If you see my "Draft Guru" posts on here, that number is supposed to represent one draft expert's estimation of the potential of those players. They definitely won't come into the league above an 85. I believe at one point while creating classes for 2K18, I created a guy who came in at 83 to 84. That was like a once in a generation player. If I put a guy in at 82-84 this year, you'll definitely see a storyline talking about him potentially becoming the greatest player ever. One rule of thumb I try to use is that there shouldn't be more than about five players coming in rated above 75 unless it is an outstanding draft. In addition, there should really not be more than 15-20 players who will become really good starters. The biggest thing I'm considering when releasing these draft classes is that I want the progression to feel authentic. One thing I noticed about 2K19 is that rookies start to progress quickly, even before their rookie seasons. I've adjusted to this by bringing down starting ratings a bit. Still, you'll see some guys getting to the high 80s by the summer after their rookie season. That also feels pretty authentic, especially when you look at last year's rookie class. Tatum, Simmons, and Mitchell are already superstars. For the best of the best, it shouldn't really be a 5 year grind to become highly rated. That being said, there are also going to be classes where only one or two players ever get to a superstar level. I think the classes this year are definitely mindful of all of that, and if anything plays any differently please let me know and I'll make some changes.
Welp spent about 2 hours tonight working on a Sonics rebrand, simming a realistic first season where I controlled some movement in the league, and finally got to the draft and got my boy Kendall Hayes. Try to advance past Qualifying Offers, and the game crashes. Get a CE-34878-0 error. Seems like I'm stuck
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Welp spent about 2 hours tonight working on a Sonics rebrand, simming a realistic first season where I controlled some movement in the league, and finally got to the draft and got my boy Kendall Hayes. Try to advance past Qualifying Offers, and the game crashes. Get a CE-34878-0 error. Seems like I'm stuck
Hopefully you autosaved and can jump back in. I've been seeing some crashes at various points in the offseason, but so far haven't had any problems advancing through after I restart the PS4. The most frustrating thing for me has been having it crash after spending an hour or so editing drafts. I save very often now!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #55
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdougswan
Hopefully you autosaved and can jump back in. I've been seeing some crashes at various points in the offseason, but so far haven't had any problems advancing through after I restart the PS4. The most frustrating thing for me has been having it crash after spending an hour or so editing drafts. I save very often now!
Yeah it autosaved but it crashes every time I try. Really sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2018, 01:09 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah it autosaved but it crashes every time I try. Really sucks.
Bucknut, check this out if you haven't already done so:
https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/arti...age-CE-34878-0

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »