Home

NBA2K19 Roster/Game Issues (Rant)

This is a discussion on NBA2K19 Roster/Game Issues (Rant) within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 11-23-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NBA2K19 Roster/Game Issues (Rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
I was good the first week or so because I mostly lived in practice mode and the fact they had old school Sonics jerseys kept me on a nostalgia high. Once I started to play some, I was kind of disappointed. Itís their fault for setting the bar high & raising my expectations but this year is a let down.

The cpu play calling is very limited. Instead of using the full playbook, the CPU keeps going to what it perceives as a mismatch. The offense gets really predictable. In the past, once the game is tweaked a bit, Iíve always gotten great games from the CPU. Very challenging. Step back in this area.

My other issue is the crazy defense from every player. I wouldnít mind it from elite defenders but itís everyone just sticking right to me once I cross half court. Ratings donít mean as much.

Iím hoping those two issues can still be patched because thereís a good game in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Major letdown! I was same as you as I started testing plays and then exited Celtics then said I better see how this translates before going any further. The no running plays is a absolute joke and game killer. I canít even imagine having it like this since release and the post up iso issue that has since been patched. To me itís a major step back in almost every way. 18 was such an amazing game! Best games I have ever had vs CPU it felt like I was playing a human. Then this I feel like i was transported back 10 years. I get some people just want to find ways to enjoy the game and try and put polish on it, but at the end of the day the [email protected] is still going to be [email protected] Lol

I think 5 of the things I listed were issues last year counting the guard post mismatch being used over and over. Sometimes I think there is no need to reinvent the wheel. They were so close to perfection in a lot of ways. Itís just frustrating!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Pro

CelticLG's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Major letdown! I was same as you as I started testing plays and then exited Celtics then said I better see how this translates before going any further. The no running plays is a absolute joke and game killer. I canít even imagine having it like this since release and the post up iso issue that has since been patched. To me itís a major step back in almost every way. 18 was such an amazing game! Best games I have ever had vs CPU it felt like I was playing a human. Then this I feel like i was transported back 10 years. I get some people just want to find ways to enjoy the game and try and put polish on it, but at the end of the day the [email protected] is still going to be [email protected] Lol

I think 5 of the things I listed were issues last year counting the guard post mismatch being used over and over. Sometimes I think there is no need to reinvent the wheel. They were so close to perfection in a lot of ways. Itís just frustrating!
The problem with number 1 is ACE. If you have ACE turned on you'll see the same 5 plays called. Before starting a game you should make sure that ACE is turned OFF for both teams (by switching sides with your controller), and you'll finally see the full playbook

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 AM   #11
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLG
The problem with number 1 is ACE. If you have ACE turned on you'll see the same 5 plays called. Before starting a game you should make sure that ACE is turned OFF for both teams (by switching sides with your controller), and you'll finally see the full playbook

Lol! Flashbacks to madden with the 2nd controller workaround to assign cpu custom playbooks. I did that though too. Number 1 it’s not ideal and ridiculous we even have to do it that way. Number 2 what happens to CPU ACE after doing this? Does it effect other things? Do we know with 100% certainty?

Also, I didn’t see any but a slight difference. Still saw same action over and over all game... YMMV though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #12
Pro

CelticLG's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Lol! Flashbacks to madden with the 2nd controller workaround to assign cpu custom playbooks. I did that though too. Number 1 itís not ideal and ridiculous we even have to do it that way. Number 2 what happens to CPU ACE after doing this? Does it effect other things? Do we know with 100% certainty?

Also, I didnít see any but a slight difference. Still saw same action over and over all game... YMMV though
CPU will not make live defensive adjustments but I really prefer this rather than the same 5 plays called over and over again. If you set the correct defensive instructions for both teams and you have the help defense sliders over 75-80 you can not notice the difference for me, I'm playing with ACE off since the day that we founded this problem.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Hmmmm... ya I was tweaking foul sliders and then wanted to test it. Horford picked up 3 fouls in 1st 5 minutes of game twice no sub. I was just attacking rim to see... are you using workaround or advanced rotations?
I think I have my settings set to advanced rotations, but I will say I have played a few games against the CPU and have seen it sub out a player with two quick fouls in the 1st quarter. The CPU playcalling (lack of) and CPU A.I. trying to force every shot in the paint has been driving me nuts this year
Old 11-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
All Star

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Vann try to copy Player DNA for 2 teams. Delete the original players then input your Playbooks to the teams. I could be imaging things (lack,of sleep, meds, etc,) but it felt like I was seeing more plays being ran. I still feel something is hardcoded into players from 2k Rosters and Copying the same player using Player DNA unlocks something. As I say i could be imaging things.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3

I donít get why the play art was changed either. It was clear and unobtrusive before. Just enough to help you learn a new play. Thatís a weird change to make.

2k is spread really thin with so many modes. I canít imagine how good this game would be if the focus was strictly on gameplay and there wasnít a steady stream of complaints no matter how the game plays. Just difficult circumstances under which to make a game. Making a cpu that reacts realistically canít be the priority when much of the focus has to be dealing with how players cheese certain moves online.

Other than the bad clipping last year, I thought defense was pretty good. By the end of the year, the clipping had been reduced so I was happy.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
I don’t get why the play art was changed either. It was clear and unobtrusive before. Just enough to help you learn a new play. That’s a weird change to make.

2k is spread really thin with so many modes. I can’t imagine how good this game would be if the focus was strictly on gameplay and there wasn’t a steady stream of complaints no matter how the game plays. Just difficult circumstances under which to make a game. Making a cpu that reacts realistically can’t be the priority when much of the focus has to be dealing with how players cheese certain moves online.

Other than the bad clipping last year, I thought defense was pretty good. By the end of the year, the clipping had been reduced so I was happy.

I’ve said it for years and recently had this confirmed behind the scenes. They are spread too thin in certain areas which is why we always here the time issue. Couldn’t get to it. Yes, time will always be an issue if 1 guy is working on 6 different things. You can do 1 or 2 things great or half *** all 6. I think we know the answer of what’s happening.

The play art baffles me! It’s so bad! I cant even really see the yellow on my 70 inch Samsung. Too cluttered, passing windows too late. Don’t fix what was never broke. That ish is for little Timmy which is great! I get trying to teach new players and casuals about plays. I don’t have a problem with that or it being set to default either. But give us the old option. Not to mention that was a resource used for no reason that could have been spent in other areas. Lol

I’ve been thinking about defense and freedom of movement lately after this years horrible design decision with on ball defense. I thought 18 was great for freedom of movement but by in no ways perfect. The help defense and rotations needed work but at least it could be fixed through team sliders and regular sliders last year. I think what is really needed is scrambling logic after rotations. Think scramble drills you used to do when you played. That’s missing. But what I was really thinking about is 18 had the defense right but if it was tweaked by using the Right stick to jump gaps with a more intuitive animation where you are rewarded with a bump if timed right, beat player to spot, etc like irl. Guys like Khawhi have a bigger window or bigger animation jump to cut off then a poor defender. This could allow freedom of movement yet still reward good stick skills or defenders. Best of both worlds. 2K has failed to get this right for years but I think 18 was close and really good as far as being somewhat realistic. I will also add I think with the 18 defense we would need better gap defense with help defenders with stunts and recovery option along with jump driver (we have option in game), but this is where better scramble logic needs to be applied better as well...

Thoughts?

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 11-24-2018 at 05:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »