Home

1989-90 Roster: Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Remake (PS4)

This is a discussion on 1989-90 Roster: Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Remake (PS4) within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 1989-90 Roster: Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Remake (PS4)

Prime Jordan is 86-93.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleone79
This is going to be awsome, if you need help caps or Arena creations let me me know. I love that ****. Also Jordan at 99 at that year? Ahh maybe most 96 bc he wasnt at his prime yet.
Heh, in order to keep things consistent, I'm calculating overall rating based on a combination of PER, VORP, and Win Shares / 48. The calculator spit out a 99 for MJ, and I figured if anyone gets a 99, it should be MJ :-)

I have not touched uniforms or arenas and I'm not even really sure how to do that, so anyone who wants to work on that aspect of it is welcome to.

I have taken a break from direct editing to test the Sixers and Bucks over a series of CPU vs. CPU matches, to make sure the ratings and tendencies system I've been using is relatively accurate. It looks... decent? So far? For some reason I can't make Hersey Hawkins not suck, I've boosted his attributes and added a ton of badges and he's still shooting <.350 from the field in every game. Free throw and 3 point rates are right on target for both teams. Barkley is hilariously dominant. Would like to see more mid range jumpers but it's not bad overall.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #83
Rookie

So just to clarify, when you are using basketball reference to build your teams, how do you base that on the last day of the season. How do you prevent putting the same players on a team, if that player let’s say got traded halfway through the season? I’ve made custom rosters in the past and have run into that problem. There’s just too many players that I forget about them.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #84
Rookie

Hey mate I’m not sure what you mean by this. I should repost. Not as a reply?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #85
Rookie

williamsc025's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcf250
So when I was a kid, the first basketball video game I ever played that used real life players was a game for the Sega Genesis called Lakers vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs. It sort of reproduced the final eight of the 1990 playoffs (ie, the playoffs after the '89-'90 season), and it was a blast. The graphics were terrible but the teams had full rosters and you could make substitutions and Michael Jordan could dunk basically from the 3 pt line.

This year, I'm going to try to reproduce that game on NBA 2K20 for the PS4. That 1989-90 season was the year all the pieces were finally in place for the next decade of NBA basketball. David Robinson was finally in San Antonio; the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Suns, Pistons, Sonics, Sixers, and Blazers were all title threats but nobody was an obvious favorite.

Within the next five years, Magic and Bird were forced to retire early, Reggie Lewis, Drazen Petrovic, and Hank Gathers all died, Roy Tarpley cocained his way out of the league, and MJ retired and unretired. What we got was a decade dominated by the Bulls and a bunch of other teams punching each other in the mouth. It was all fine, but I've always wondered how the decade would have played out with Magic still playing, with Lewis gradually taking the torch from Bird, with no MJ hiatus, and with all that talent we lost still in the league.

So! I started yesterday. As I finish teams, I will post to describe them here as a way to keep myself moving and honest. Hoping to finish one or even two today!

When will this roster be ready? I’m looking forward to playing with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #86
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjAllTheWay1138
So just to clarify, when you are using basketball reference to build your teams, how do you base that on the last day of the season. How do you prevent putting the same players on a team, if that player let’s say got traded halfway through the season? I’ve made custom rosters in the past and have run into that problem. There’s just too many players that I forget about them.
Basketball-reference has a "Transactions" tab for the team that tells you every free agent signing and trade they made during that season. So, for example, right now I'm working on the Cleveland Cavaliers. According to B-R, on November 5, they waived Gary Voce (so on my roster, he goes in the FA pool). Then, on November 16, they traded Ron Harper and some picks to the Clippers for the rights to Danny Ferry and Reggie Wlliams (so on my roster, Harper is on the Clippers and Williams and Ferry are Cavs - well, actually, Williams isn't because they waived him later). And so on. It's time consuming!

Speaking of which, I am still moving forward in little increments. I really want to be finished by the end of 2019! I hope to wrap up the Cavs later today.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #87
Rookie

Just in case anyone is still following along, I haven't stopped moving forward; I just haven't actually posted here in a while. Basically I have the following teams left to do:

Charlotte Hornets
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Washington Bullets
Utah Jazz
Minnesota Timberwolves

And then cleanup and coaches and rotations and stuff. Still targeting the first of the year.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #88
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcf250
Just in case anyone is still following along, I haven't stopped moving forward; I just haven't actually posted here in a while. Basically I have the following teams left to do:

Charlotte Hornets
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Washington Bullets
Utah Jazz
Minnesota Timberwolves

And then cleanup and coaches and rotations and stuff. Still targeting the first of the year.
AWESOME news man, can't wait to see this....

the only thing that's going to hold up the dynasties is there isn't a compilation of great draft classes ready to go yet. but looking forward to the roster

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »