Home

Some insight for the roster world

This is a discussion on Some insight for the roster world within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Some insight for the roster world

This gave me a couple things to think about for roster development.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Some insight for the roster world

Using imagination to justify an attribute incongruity

It has bothered me since Speed With Ball attribute was added that some players can move faster with the ball than without because their Speed attribute is lower. I have a brand new #2 overall draft pick created by the game and of course, he is great. In the middle of his first-ever career game, I paused to marvel at his attributes and to see what I was working with. Not long and I noticed the pet peeve mentioned.

In reality, I know this is not logical biomechanically otherwise someone somewhere would put on shows with a ball out-sprinting others without a ball. And personally, coaches everywhere have had players experience this through wind sprints with and without the ball.

It has just donned on me: It could describe the onscreen player's motivation and attitude. All of us have played with or against that guy who seems to only go 3/4 speed until he gets the ball: Then you find out how athletic he really is. If he is on your team you cannot talk him into 100% all the time; he is motivated only by offense and scoring.

Framed like this, the Speed With Ball problem is not a problem for me anymore. It actually gives the player a bit more personality.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Some insight for the roster world

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
Using imagination to justify an attribute incongruity

It has bothered me since Speed With Ball attribute was added that some players can move faster with the ball than without because their Speed attribute is lower. I have a brand new #2 overall draft pick created by the game and of course, he is great. In the middle of his first-ever career game, I paused to marvel at his attributes and to see what I was working with. Not long and I noticed the pet peeve mentioned.

In reality, I know this is not logical biomechanically otherwise someone somewhere would put on shows with a ball out-sprinting others without a ball. And personally, coaches everywhere have had players experience this through wind sprints with and without the ball.

It has just donned on me: It could describe the onscreen player's motivation and attitude. All of us have played with or against that guy who seems to only go 3/4 speed until he gets the ball: Then you find out how athletic he really is. If he is on your team you cannot talk him into 100% all the time; he is motivated only by offense and scoring.

Framed like this, the Speed With Ball problem is not a problem for me anymore. It actually gives the player a bit more personality.

When they first introduced the speed with the ball rating, I thought it was odd, that some players would be faster with ball, than without, because it dont work that way IRL.

I just treat it as another hustle attribute. Because there is players, who are lazy and typically only go 100% out when they have the ball in their hands. I realized I could actually edit Harden, to play more like himself, as he isnt one who usually exerts a lot of energy unless the ball is in his hands,lol, and you could say the same for Westbrook at times too,lol.

Plus you take players, that tend to have to use a lot of energy offensively because the supporting cast isnt great, even if that said player is a solid defensive player, at times, they will take a play or 2 off once in a while on the defensive side of the ball.

So instead of editing it down the speed with ball rating, so its a little lower or the same as with ball, I treat it like the hustle rating, when Im editing rosters, and draft classes. With default 2k rosters, the hustle rating has always been way to high IMO for a lot of players, so its 1 of the main attributes I edit way down on certain players, that tend to be lazy, like Okafor, is known for, as well as Wiggins. But a player like Harden, you hate to lower the Hustle rating too low, and same with Westbrook, because it will impact areas like rebounding and even steals to some extent too. So this way, I dont need lower Hustle rating way down, for Westbrook and Harden, and instead can just given them higher speed with ball rating, than their speed without ball.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »