Home

Different Approach Seems to be Working

This is a discussion on Different Approach Seems to be Working within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Different Approach Seems to be Working

Bold updated as of 1/08/14. Played SEVERAL more games, and I've gotten it to a pretty good place post patch, but not perfect. There's some issues inherent in the game that are preventing me from having a perfect game. Ive noticed that theres too many points in the paint by the cpu, and not enough fouls by the user. its really tough to foul to prevent interior scoring, and the CPU does score enough fast break points. There also seems to be little resistance in allowing the CPU to pass the ball into the paint. I'll try to work on these issues soon. Lastly, the CPU shot attempts are very high, but that may be due to the high number of user turnovers and lack of free throw attempts by the CPU, as well as lack of turn overs by the CPU.

Hey All,

I've been reading all the slider stuff on these threads for probably 10 years or more, and absorb all the observations and incorporate them into my settings. I feel obligated to contribute this time because this game is pretty good out of the box and I think only needs a few tweaks to make it really really enjoyable. So I'll start out with my one big thing that I think a lot of other people are overlooking, and move on to my other theories and sliders. If you trust what I'm saying, I think with a little feedback we can actually make some significant strides. It's all about communication. (My slider settings are at the bottom of this long, long post, if you wanted to just check them out before you commit.)

1. HELP DEFENSE STRENGTH

This slider makes all 5 defenders react to the ball handler, rotate, help helpers, etc. I had been playing with this slider at 50, like most everybody else. But I was giving up too many paint points, and I felt like the defenders weren't rotating at all. Another interesting thing about NG is that they made a few small changes to some defaults that they didn't think we'd notice. One of the biggest things was they made on ball defense and defensive awareness on simulation higher. This was the "quick fix" to making defenses more effective. However, I noticed that defenders were pretty much artificially sticking to players, and containing them without helpers (very unrealistic). So long story short, this slider should be maxed out on NG...you'll immediately be playing a better game (I'm not sure why, but this slider on CG didn't work nearly as effectively as this NG one. Some people even thought it was reversed on CG.).

2. PLAY ON ALLSTAR ONLY

The difficulty levels of the game are only artificially inflating or deflating the rating attributes of the players. This isn't really new news, but I think people are losing sight of this fact. Basically, Allstar is the closest to even/neutral/original rating attributes for the players. However, there are still a few sliders that have to be adjusted to make the CPU players reflect their intended ratings. These are: Strength (42-I'll explain this one in a second), Ball Handling (47), Hands (43), On-Ball Defense (47), O & D Awareness (40). Once these are changed, ensure that all the rest of the sliders for EVERYTHING else are at 50 for now, including all USER sliders.

3. START TWEAKING SLIDERS FROM 50

For some things, we know we have to change, because we know what the slider does with a great deal of certainty. But for the things were not 100% positive of, leave them at 50 to start. The game was designed for most things to be in the middle based on the way the player ratings interact with the sliders. I think there was much more time and emphasis placed on individual player ratings, and if we accept that they are fairly accurate, then we should allow them to do what they do. And the best way for that to happen is default global settings.

4. CERTAIN SLIDERS WERE CHANGED FOR NG BY DEVELOPERS...AND THEY MAKE SENSE

For example, User and CPU Quickness sliders were turned down to 45 on simulation mode. This makes the player movement fairly smooth, and not jittery, giving off a more realistic appearance. These changes should be adopted. However, the speed setting should be put back to 50, as deflating it to 45 makes medium fast players run too slowly on a fast break, and lightning fast players like J Wall or Westbrook are just sorta fast.

Another one they seemed to have gotten right is the strength slider. They set it at 45 instead of 50. This makes the post players have to use more skill to get to the rim, instead of just using soft Pau Gasol to back guys down like hes Shaq. Now he can't just back down to the rim for a 2 ft layup. So the user slider should be set to 45, but since this is one of the sliders that needs to get offset to balance the CPU player ratings, it should be 3 pts less than the user to maintain that balance. So CPU strength should be 42.

The last thing I'll accept from the developers was the change of Fatigue from 57 to 52. This seems to make users actually consider fatigue when making subs, and by the 4th quarter, some guys really are tired. I'm not positive this can't be improved, but for now 52 seems reasonable.

So, that's about it for my philosophies. I've been playing some really great games with these. But I think if people can start with the settings I've posted below, and make suggestions 1 point at a time to perfect it, we might have a near perfect game on our hands. Keep in mind that unless you have a really good reason to move something off of 50, don't. I'll make some comments next to certain ratings that I think are relevant.

GAME SETTINGS (only the relevant settings listed)
Fatigue - 0n
Shooting/FT Type - User Timing
Game Speed/FT Difficulty - 50

SLIDERS
OFFENSE (USER/CPU SAME)

inside shot success - 39
close shot success - 39
mid-range success - 39
3PT success - 44
Layup success - 44
Dunk in traffic freq – 59 (bigs not dunking under the rim any lower)

Dunk in traffic success -49 (occasional missed dunk now)
Pass Accuracy - 49 (occasional wayward pass)
Alley-Oop Success - 49
Contact Shot Success - 50

DEFENSE (USER/CPU SAME)

Driving/Inside Contact Shot Freq - 100
Layup Defense Strength Takeoff - 49
Layup Defense Strength Release - 50
Jump Shot Defense Strength Gather - 49
Jump Shot Defense Strength Release -50
Help Defense Strength - 100 (really important!)
Steal Success - 50

ATTRIBUTES (USER/CPU Different)

Quickness - 45 both
Vertical - 50 both
Strength - 35/32
Speed – 45 both
Stamina, Durability - 50 both
Hustle - 100 both
Ball Handling - 50/47
Hands - 50/43
Dunking Ability - 50 both
On-Ball Defense - 50/47
Stealing - 50 both
Blocking – 50 both
Offensive Awareness - 100/90
Defensive Awareness - 100/90
Offensive/Defensive Rebounding - 50 both
Consistency - 50 both
Fatigue rate - 50 both
Injury Freq and Severity - 50 both

TENDANCIES (USER/CPU SAME)
50 for everything except GO FOR ON BALL STEALS (40 for both, otherwise too many reaching fouls), and:
contest shot - 100
attempt putbacks - 100

FOULS (USER/CPU SAME)
Over the back, charging - 100
Blocking - 65
Reaching - 60
Shooting - 60

Loose Ball - 100

COACH SETTINGS
Whatever you want

CONTROLLER SETTINGS
Defensive Assist Strength – 100
Automatic Shot Contest - Always
(This makes it so that your CPU controlled defenders won't just be zombies and stand there while a guy drives by them or shoots it right next to them unguarded. All 4 other defenders actually look alive making basketball actions on the court. Hand down man down.)

NOW...If you guys can play a few games with these settings, and post what you think the issues you see are. Then let us know if you made a 1 point incremental change to certain sliders. My recommendation would be that you only change the Offense and defense sliders. I'd really leave the attribute sliders alone. And I just about never ever touch tendency sliders. That's a recipe for disaster and the game really gest thrown out of whack. Long post, but I think we may be onto something with these.

Last edited by raw51188; 01-08-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: update
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Different Approach Seems to be Working

Great post. I have tried these for a game and noticed a lot better mid range game,with cpu players pulling up for shots much more. My cpu teammates definitely rotated better. Early days,but I definitely like this. I agree totally also on not touching the cpu tendencies as it sets of a world of trouble.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Def gonna try these.

You didn't think CPU rebounding and used blocking needed to be toned down?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Will have to try these out later. Definately agree with you about Allstar level, I believe also in Next Gen it will give you the most realistic challenge and gameplay.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGiani
Def gonna try these.

You didn't think CPU rebounding and used blocking needed to be toned down?
I'm not ready yet to say that they do need to be turned down, but I'm not saying they don't. Basically I don't have enough evidence that they need tuning. I think that once you make some other adjustments, you may find that they don't need to be changed, particularly regarding blocks. Part of me thinks that the high user blocks may be tied to the fact that CPU wasn't ever settling for jumpers. Now with the proper defensive rotations, the CPU isn't forcing points in the paint constantly, which reduces user blocks to a reasonable level.

As far as the rebounding, again I think you'll find some longer rebounds getting scooped up by perimeter players on account of the fact that all the shots aren't coming from the paint, which was allowing bigs to get offensive rebounds for the CPU.

I'm gonna play some more games tonight and see if theres any issues I think need to be addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Rookie

Just writing a quick follow up to my update. The game is gritty now. Especially if you play a dominant defense like the heat or pacers. Really tough to score, but feels right. Scoring is very rewarding, and you really have to think through the game, draw fouls, run plays, etc. You're not being defended one on one but by the opposing team. The dunking in traffic slider may need to go up a few points, but right now its great to see guys drawing fouls by going to the rim with the purpose of dunking. And when they pull one off, maybe once or twice a game, you'll be out of your seat.

Try out these adjustments and let me know what you think. Mike good call with the blocks btw. But I don't think you'll have many concerns about the rebounding.

Last edited by raw51188; 12-19-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Pro

Tried these out last night. I liked them. Why did you crank the awareness sliders up?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Pro

Probably gonna have to adjust these because supposedly the new patch tweaks the gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »