Home

Blocked shots

This is a discussion on Blocked shots within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1
Blocked shots

I'm really not seeing any sliders where guys are constantly getting 3+ blocks for at least one team. Every game seems to end with blocks at 2-1.

My question for everyone is if you do see blocks, when do they occur? Right now from my view point it seems like blocks almost solely happen when contact is made.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Blocked shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
I'm really not seeing any sliders where guys are constantly getting 3+ blocks for at least one team. Every game seems to end with blocks at 2-1.

My question for everyone is if you do see blocks, when do they occur? Right now from my view point it seems like blocks almost solely happen when contact is made.

Any thoughts?

I agree most games there are only a few blocks. Some games there are more. If you up the blocks slider there are more but still not enough and if you have the block slider up to high you will see blocks by both the CPU and the USER that just don't look realistic at all.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

I disagree I have blocks at 100 as well as OBD at 100 and Def Awr at 100. Still can't get more than a couple blocks. One team the other night (can't remember who off the top of my head) in the actual NBA had 12 team blocks. Now I know were prob never gonna see a 12 block game on 2K but 8 once in awhile would be more than enough to keeps things interesting and on average with the actual NBA.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Before Christmas Patch Drummond was blockin' 2 for a game. After Patch, I boosted for Poke's Slide, the blocks at 100, but Drummond blocks 0.1%
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Yep. Many posters here have tried all sorts of things, but CPU shotblockers certainly play a very limited role.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Long story short it just needs to be patched, I've tried literally everything. This is an unfortunate problem that can't be fixed by sliders...

My earlier thoughts on the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Long post inbound...TL;DR version at the bottom.

I see virtually no blocks from big time shot blockers. like Anthony Davis / Hibbert / Dwight etc...and I'm relating it to 3 things, Help Defense, vertical, hands, and the contest shot slider. So let me break it down. Remember in the other thread I had that theory about Contesting shots? I had my doubts, but I'm thinking I may have been on to something:

One of the first things slider makers have been doing for years now in 2K is maxing out this slider, well I have a theory...

What if contest shots refers to just that? CONTESTING THE SHOT, and not attempting to block it. As in right stick defense? Is it possible that if we put it at 0 or even default for a less drastic change we would have more defenders attempting to swat at shots? As in the Y, Triangle type of swat? Just a thought, might be worth testing...

But other than that the questions we have to ask ourselves is 1. Are are big men in the position to get blocks? 2. Are they attempting to go for blocks when they are in position. and 3. Do they have the ability to actually succeed in blocking the shot if they attempt to go for the block when they are in position.

So basically I broke shot blocking down into 3 areas:
-Positioning
-Attempt
-Ability

Note:From here this is purely my opinion from errors that I believe most slider guru's have been making in the last 4-5 years.

Positioning

So when we talk about positioning obviously our bigs can't block shots that they aren't anywhere near. So the question at the moment is why aren't they there? Some of the attributes that play into that are quickness, Help Defense, and defensive awareness.

One thing that I am consistently seeing is the Help defense slider either jacked all the way to 100 or all the way at 0 or something low like that when in actuality it should be somewhere in the middle around 40-60. What we have to understand is both of these extremes have severe negatives that greatly impact other aspects of the game. With the slider at 100 what you need to understand is your defenders will no matter what be inclined to run to cover the open man. Is there someone open in the corner? At 100 Help defense my center or my PF will immediately sprint out to the corner to cover that guy, and guess what...now he's not in the paint to block anything. At 0 Help defense defenders are 100 percent inclined to stick with their man no matter what! they will never stop the ball, so guess what if you drive the lane you can walk right by the PF or Center because his man is in the high post and because you have that help defense slider so low he refuses to leave him.

Also the Defensive Awareness slider effects whether or not the defensive player is AWARE that someone is driving, but in more specific situations. This slider gives a boost to ratings like Pick and roll defense IQ or Help defense IQ so this is also a slider that should probably be upped a little bit.

In terms of the quickness slider and I see this a lot too, a lot of people drop this slider which is going to effect your defensive rotations and how your bigs are able to slide over into help defense (I.E. Lateral quickness).

The above factors is a good reason why people often report better shot blocking with the default sliders, because crucial sliders haven't been reduced, or overly bumped yet.

Attempt

One thing that I have noticed is big men in general just not even attempting to block shots, and I believe that this is directly to the contest shot slider. I came up with this theory and so far with my own and other users testing it may actually have some weight to it. I believe that just like the HUM can either flick the right stick or press triangle/Y the CPU defenders also have 2 ways of going after a shot, those 2 being to attempt a contest or to attempt a block.

Like I said earlier since 2K10(?) when they first introduced the contest shot slider it has been slider guru's first move to just jack it up to 100 because that would be the most "sim" without really knowing what it does. (I always say that if you don't know what a slider does you shouldn't touch it). I and other users are starting to think that this may have a negative effect on CPU defenders going after the ball. We need to do more testing on that, but I believe we are on to something.

Ability

Lets just say your 7'2" center was in perfect position...hey lets even say he actually went up to attempt the block. The ball goes up and What do you know...it goes right through your guys hand and into the hoop. Wtf right? Well don't be mad because what I didn't tell you is this scrub has a 25 shot blocking rating.

A lot of times we actually DO get the perfect positioning / opportunity for the block, but it goes through the players hand, and unfortunately that is the way 2K makes its ratings play out as shown here:

Spoiler

I believe this tangibility rating is a combination of the hands, and blocking sliders to be honest this combined attribute that we can call tangibility really only comes into play if A. The player is in position for a block and B. The player actually attempts and is on target with said blocked shot. If all those things work out properly then the game can still use this failsafe tangibility rating to deny the user a blocked shot just like the video above and unfortunately there are tons of sets that have the hands slider at 0 which will definitely effect the shot blocker negatively.

The last slider that I want to talk about is vertical. People NEED to understand what this slider does, because it does NOT effect how HIGH your player jumps.

At 0 does your center jump 1" off the ground? No, at 100 does your center jump 10 feet of the ground? No! ALL this slider does is A. Impact the speed / willingness of your defenders to jump, and B. effect WHAT animations play out when you press the Triangle/Y button.

When you have the vertical slider at 0 watch your rebounders, they will ALL do that silly rebounding animation where they stay grounded and reach back for the ball. Bump the vertical up to 100 and you will see guys soaring across the paint, they aren't jumping any higher, the difference is they are actually jumping, because the low vertical rating wasn't allowing them to.

Conclusion
In order to increase big men blocks what we have to do as a community is first of all stop bumping sliders that we don't know their effects and stop bumping / dropping them so drastically. Realistically slider edits should be made in clicks of 5-10 to see the best results. I am thinking of something in the ballpark of:

Help Defense Strength - 55/55
Vertical 65/65 (Rebounding sliders will obviously have to be tweaked)
Blocking 60/60 (I don't want guards getting 3 blocks a game...I don't think 100/100 is the answer here...)
Defensive awareness - 100/80
Hands 70/70
Contest shots 30/30
Defensive Consistency 60/60

Whenever I end up releasing my slider set the values will probably look something like this^

TL;DR
Keep the help defense slider close to default
Bump the Vertical slider
Lowering the contest shot slider should help with shot blocking...
Old 01-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

It seems that 2k compensated for the lack of shooting fouls by decreasing the likelehood of blocks.

I think that the block issue will be resolved next year.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Rookie

drewbaby1414's Arena

OVR: 7

I've been frustrated by the whole block thing for a couple years now. Espeacially now that I play with the Pelicans in ML and love Anthony Davis.

One thing that works pretty well is to turn the fouls way down for blocking and shot fouls. This allows the shots to get off which can be blocked without a foul....It is a give or take. It's a couple more blocks vs a few less free trows

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »