Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #73
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

So I kinda been out of the loop here with this discussion and I’m more of a madden player than 2k but..how can I adjust my sliders to have more realistic scores? Seems no matter what team I use or how many good defenders I have I keep giving up 115 points or more a game..C rated or average shooters are shooting like curry lol.

Is it more my defense sliders or just their shot success slider?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 4

Im confused because you said at 0 LDS and JSDS the computer plays better defense but later in the post you say to make those sliders “higher” if you want the cpu to play better defense.

For example, before you said “
As a general rule, I would say to keep Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) low (40-50 should be fine, or higher for more of a challenge) while (Release) should be high. How low and how high will vary from person to person”

But if release is high as opposed to being more challenging wouldn’t that make it easier? Because it affects the release less if the slider is higher.

Last edited by rdouglas125; 05-17-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #75
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdouglas125
Im confused because you said at 0 LDS and JSDS the computer plays better defense but later in the post you say to make those sliders “higher” if you want the cpu to play better defense.

For example, before you said “
As a general rule, I would say to keep Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) low (40-50 should be fine, or higher for more of a challenge) while (Release) should be high. How low and how high will vary from person to person”

But if release is high as opposed to being more challenging wouldn’t that make it easier? Because it affects the release less if the slider is higher.
You're misreading the post. The sliders are not reversed in the sense that 0 = better defense. Higher settings still lead to better defense.

They're reversed in the sense of which slider (user or CPU) you tweak. If you want the CPU defense to be better against you, you need to increase the USER Defense Strength sliders. If you want the user defense to be better against the CPU, you need to increase the CPU Defense Strength sliders.

The way they're labeled you would think "If I want the USER defense to be better, I'd obviously increase the USER Defense Strength sliders". But that's not the case, as you'd increase the CPU slider instead. Obviously if you want both to be better you'd increase both USER and CPU sliders.

Definitely re-read the first post, it's all described there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #76
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
So I kinda been out of the loop here with this discussion and I’m more of a madden player than 2k but..how can I adjust my sliders to have more realistic scores? Seems no matter what team I use or how many good defenders I have I keep giving up 115 points or more a game..C rated or average shooters are shooting like curry lol.

Is it more my defense sliders or just their shot success slider?
It all defends on what issue(s) you're seeing on the defensive end.

- If the defenders are contesting shots but they're still going in, increase the Defense Strength sliders as described in the first post.

- If the defenders are getting burned too easily on the perimeter and letting the dribbler get into the lane at will, increase On Ball Defense and/or Lateral Quickness. OBD if the defenders just get crossed up easily, and/or Lateral Quickness if they're not getting crossed up but simply can't move left to right fast enough.

- If the defenders are sticking with the dribbler but still constantly riding the hip to the basket instead of cutting off the lane, increase Body-Up Sensitivity.

- If the defenders are giving too much space on the perimeter and not closing out well enough, increase Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather). If the CPU defenders are suffering from this, increase this setting for the USER. If the USER defenders are suffering from this, increase the CPU setting.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #77
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
I haven’t done my own fine-tuning yet to be able to give you a good answer. And the “optimal” value of these settings will vary based on other sliders (shot success, on ball defense, body up sensitivity, etc.) as well as personal skill level. This is why I went the route of explaining what the sliders do as you increase/decrease them so that everyone can tweak their own slider set to match the results that play best for them.

As a general rule, I would say to keep Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) low (40-50 should be fine, or higher for more of a challenge) while (Release) should be high. How low and how high will vary from person to person.

Your guess is as good as mine! They still haven’t explained what half the sliders do, and the rest are self-explanatory. Maybe the devs don’t even know?

I wish they did a better job of exactly what the slider adjustments do. They have been terrible forever

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #78
Just started!

Eccentric. When will you make an Eccentric edition of NBA 2k19 sliders?
I love them.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #79
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann2019
Eccentric. When will you make an Eccentric edition of NBA 2k19 sliders?
I love them.

Maybe during free agency, if I do at all. Being a Lebron fan and avid Lakers *****, I just never was able to get hyped (or even somewhat interested) in the NBA this year. If the Raptors keep it up in the finals I might get drawn back in, otherwise it will take huge free agency moves to get my interest high enough to test sliders this year.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #80
Rookie

Nice Post. I Liked it

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »