Home

Barnsey's MyLEAGUE player Progression/Regression sliders (2k19)

This is a discussion on Barnsey's MyLEAGUE player Progression/Regression sliders (2k19) within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Barnsey's MyLEAGUE player Progression/Regression sliders (2k19)

Barnsey,
Do you know how the new contract/salary/trade sliders work? I would like to know the logic behind them all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #26
Rookie

Ar4bAce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
My personal rule, as it applies to peak-end anyway, is it can be no later than 32 unless you have a special case (LeBron/Jordan/Giannis/Kobe) and then only a two year increase, tops.

I think with modern medicine/training, 32 for an all-world athlete is about the highest you can go for 95% of the NBA -- some guys come on late and the 32 peak end accounts for that, at least in theory.

In general, I agree with your theory that 25-30 really is the range for most peak start/ends.
Lebron's peak end is probably 45.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
I haven't tested the contract stuff yet, i've only been paying attention to progression/regression. Once i perfect it i'll move on to contract stuff, draft class quality, trade value, etc. Thanks for the feedback so far everybody
The contract stuff will be the challenge. I posted a thread asking if anyone had come up with solid sliders for contracts. I did some simming with largely default sliders and it was an unmitigated disaster for free agency, with no tems signing Klay or Randle until the season started (both took 1 year vet minimum deals) and guys like Tyler Ullis get 9m per year and DJ Wilson hitting over 10m for a one year deal.

I love the progression/regression work. I've been unhappy for years as players regress almost equally, losing points in things like IQ as they get older. I'd argue that stuff shouldn't regress but actually go up in many cases. At the same time watching guys continue to gain speed and three shooting every season created no separation between players and caused shooting to be ridiculously high.

My other concern though is how regressing in athleticism categories will impact contracts/free agency. With my sim experience on the off season I found a few things:

1. Almost every deal below the superstar level was a one year deal
2. Many vets didn't get signed because they would come down in price
3. On the other hand high potential guys got PAID despite zero track record
4. A disturbing amount of scrubs got contracts in the 8 million per season
5. Quality players like Klay, Randle, Hollis-Jefferson, Tyreke, Thaddeus Young, etc. never got signed, while guys like Cameron Payne were getting 8 million dollars for one year.
6. 3 and D guys got killed. So many guys who specialized in one skill sat in the free agent pool halfway through year 2 while a bunch of kids who had done nothing (DJ Wilson for example) but had great physical attributes got ridiculous deals.

Trying to balance progression/regression vs. contracts will be a challenge. The AI already values athleticism and OVR far more than it does being able to contribute as a 3 and D guy or a player with a great IQ for the game.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #28
Lurking

kongemeier's Arena

OVR: 8

Just wanted to thank you for the work on the progression/regression sliders. These are excellent IMO. Finally we can have realistic progression and regression in 2K.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 AM   #29
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
The contract stuff will be the challenge. I posted a thread asking if anyone had come up with solid sliders for contracts. I did some simming with largely default sliders and it was an unmitigated disaster for free agency, with no tems signing Klay or Randle until the season started (both took 1 year vet minimum deals) and guys like Tyler Ullis get 9m per year and DJ Wilson hitting over 10m for a one year deal.

I love the progression/regression work. I've been unhappy for years as players regress almost equally, losing points in things like IQ as they get older. I'd argue that stuff shouldn't regress but actually go up in many cases. At the same time watching guys continue to gain speed and three shooting every season created no separation between players and caused shooting to be ridiculously high.

My other concern though is how regressing in athleticism categories will impact contracts/free agency. With my sim experience on the off season I found a few things:

5. Quality players like Klay, Randle, Hollis-Jefferson, Tyreke, Thaddeus Young, etc. never got signed, while guys like Cameron Payne were getting 8 million dollars for one year.
6. 3 and D guys got killed. So many guys who specialized in one skill sat in the free agent pool halfway through year 2 while a bunch of kids who had done nothing (DJ Wilson for example) but had great physical attributes got ridiculous deals.

Trying to balance progression/regression vs. contracts will be a challenge. The AI already values athleticism and OVR far more than it does being able to contribute as a 3 and D guy or a player with a great IQ for the game.
If you ever figure this out, please let me know. I love the new sliders but they are a mystery to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #30
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongemeier
Just wanted to thank you for the work on the progression/regression sliders. These are excellent IMO. Finally we can have realistic progression and regression in 2K.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
I'm so glad to hear that other MyLeague nerds are enjoying these sliders. I knew there was a reason i put hours into it! Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis

This is total speculation on my behalf but perhaps athleticism is tied to the player marketability rating, which is tied to the "fame" value in the sliders? I wonder if reducing player fame would iron that out? Something to test...

I've moved onto working on a fictional draft class + roster for now, somebody else will have to test the contract/salary/trades stuff for now

Last edited by Barncore; 09-21-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #31
Rookie

Barnsey, I tested your sliders and overall progression and regression looks good

Just one information to everybody: if you want the IQ sliders to stay stable, 0 wonīt work, the ratings will still drop, sometimes 2-3 points, so some older players will lose 10-15 points in their IQ rating compared to their peak.
I think this is not realistic, you donīt lose your BB IQ with age.

Iīm currently testing them in the 10-15 range and I like the results. You will see some players drop by 1 point from time to time, but overall I think itīs more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro24
Barnsey, I tested your sliders and overall progression and regression looks good

Just one information to everybody: if you want the IQ sliders to stay stable, 0 wonīt work, the ratings will still drop, sometimes 2-3 points, so some older players will lose 10-15 points in their IQ rating compared to their peak.
I think this is not realistic, you donīt lose your BB IQ with age.

Iīm currently testing them in the 10-15 range and I like the results. You will see some players drop by 1 point from time to time, but overall I think itīs more realistic.
Which IQ attributes are you referring to exactly? Because some attributes with the word "IQ" in it don't have much to do with IQ from a functional standpoint within the game. I.e. things like "pick & roll IQ" is simply just how well they defend the pick&roll. Players DO become less capable of defending the pick&roll as they get older, we can't just rely SOLELY on athleticism attributes to reflect that, so i'm okay with it if Pick&roll IQ (and some others) drops a few points, just as long as it is not as much as other ratings like athleticism/shot-off-dribble/draw-foul/etc

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »