Home

How does anyone win in this game

This is a discussion on How does anyone win in this game within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How does anyone win in this game

This may be the first year I skip 2K. I cant get anything going and once the CPU gets a lead its over.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Im am not all that good on the sticks anymore, and Im sure most here, on OS are better than I am, but I dont know how anyone would have trouble winning games against the CPU, unless you just refuse to lower the difficulty.

There is no shame, in playing rookie if you have too. And if for some reason you cant play on rookie, adjist the sliders even more in your favor. There is no reason for anyone to not be able to find the right settings to be able to win in NBA2k.

I use to be able to play on the toughest settings, as I have been playing NBA2k since the very 1st game they ever made. But do to age and poor health, my skills, reaction time and reflexes, just arent very good anymore. Nor do to pain meds, and just being in pain, can I concentrate and think fast enough to play on HOF or even SS.

I actually had to put the game on rookie when it 1st came out, and I even lost a few on rookie. I play on pro now, and I get good game, both wins and losses, blow outs, and close games, that go both ways.

In yrs past, do to being able to utilize the ACE system to make the CPU make adjustments, to stop you, and to expose your weaknesses, you have to play on SS or HOF.
But this yr ACE is being utilized on all difficutly levels, so even on rookie, the CPU will make adjustments during the game.

So there is no reason to have to play on the higher difficulty now, and then adjust sliders where they over power the CPU and dumb down your AI players on your team. You can play on rookie, and know your getting the full benefits of ACE, which just makes the CPU smarter in their gameplan, and changing it up, but it dont give a unfair advantage on the lower levels anyway, that give the CPU super abilities.

This is one of the few things that Im happy with this yr, is the CPU has a brain on lower difficulties, but its just to stop you from running the same effective play over and over again with no penalty, and if you dont change up to stop a play thats working for them, they will continue to go that route, till you make the change.
But unlike in past yrs your not seeing a comeback code, to the point of where something kicks in and you cant do anything right and the CPU cant miss.

Now maybe on higher levels the CPU does have some type of boost under the hood that kicks in, to where you feel cheated, but on rookie or pro that aint happening.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Play default AllStar on default 5 min qtrs and call it a day. 2k has always had fake momentum for CPU, but it's worse than ever on pretty much all difficulties.

AllStar is win-able with some blowouts with a good team that you're used to, and challenging but fair losses with bad teams and bad matchups.

These modern games are not tuned for realism or playing against AI

Sent from my cp3636a using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree with CaseIH. The only way to play a decent game, is to play on Pro or AS. Superstar and HOF, forget it, unless you love to get punished by the CPU.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #21
Rookie

parky_17's Arena

This game is completely broken, every defender shadows your every movement and is impossible to get by, if you do get a hint of space another defender will come and bump you and you lose the ball then when the AI has the if I try and body them up they just glide right by for an easy bucket its so unrealistic

Sent from my HTC U11 using Operation Sports mobile app

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
WASHINGTON CAPITALS
DETROIT PISTONS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2018, 01:20 AM   #22
Banned

How does anyone win in this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_17
This game is completely broken, every defender shadows your every movement and is impossible to get by, if you do get a hint of space another defender will come and bump you and you lose the ball then when the AI has the if I try and body them up they just glide right by for an easy bucket its so unrealistic

Sent from my HTC U11 using Operation Sports mobile app

I agree 100%! All of the sports games on the ps4 and Xbox1 are broken! What happen to the fun factor? Make the ai hard but not unrealistic. I am trying to play All-Time Bulls against All-Time Celtics but the Celtics Defense is stifling! Are you kidding me? Jordan, and Scottie would have run circles around the Celtics from the 60’s!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
Rookie

[quote=parky_17;2049637220]This game is completely broken, every defender shadows your every movement and is impossible to get by, if you do get a hint of space another defender will come and bump you and you lose the ball then when the AI has the if I try and body them up they just glide right by for an easy bucket its so unrealistic

Agreed 100%...There doesn't seem to be much separation skill wise between a superstar like Durant or Lebron for example and any type of defender. I swear you can't beat even a decent defender, with the best offensive players in the game. And then on the off chance you blow by them, another defender has magically vacuumed to close you off.

I really wish they'd make this game a tad bit "arcade like". It doesn't have to be as much as Live, but they need to tone down on the "you have to use your head...You have to call time outs...You have to think about your plays...You have to practice your plays for hours" nonsense. Not everyone has time for all that and the game is already hard enough to "pick up and play" as it is, thanks to the hundreds of controls schemes. I used to LOVE 2K, but I'm a family man now and I simply don't have time to put in the work it takes to memorize every move, assign plays, practice, etc.....for the first time EVER, I might have to skip out on 2k next year if they don't make some serious changes and bring this game back to be more user friendly. Tired of getting whooped by the computer with even bad teams on their predictable and magical comeback runs.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
Rookie

You can make this game play pretty much however you want by adjusting sliders. You can't hit green release and shoot way worse than the player should? Higher the user shooting. You can't dribble - lower the on-ball d. You feel cpu defense is too quick to react - lower their defensive awareness. Pretty much everything can be adjusted.

What the game can't do is to teach you to play smart basketball. Having auto run plays is a good start to have some tactics involved... Higher the difficulty gets and closer you are to real game time - more thinking is needed to the point where you have to make corect coaching adjustment in timely called timeouts or on the fly, play completely in the flow and context of the game and limit mistakes.

For some - playing 48 mins mental fights is rewarding. Others are more into 20 some minutes of fun.

While changing difficulty won't fix stuff like cpu dribbling through you (body-up slider that controls lot of the contact game) or make cpu not have glue hands on steal attempts (steal success slider) or have cpu and user contests perform equally (defence strength sliders) or cpu taking every loose ball even after being blocked with ball falling behind him (no cure, but performs much better if hustle slider is down a bit) etc. /yeah, lots of problems in the game/ it will make the game play more casual.

Lot of it is down to momentum system or hot/cold streaks system as 2k now calls it. You have to recognise when your team/player is on a roll and when it's not going well. Don't get complacent when you're up 10. It's not a big lead in bball. Bla bla bla... We could talk for hours, point being - no fun? Lower difficulty. Wanna get better - practice more on higher. Experiment with sliders - put it to 0 then 100, change several related ones, understand what they do, make it play how you want.

Might went overboard (I'm on a bus and bored lol) - there are things to fix and barely fix in the game by adjusting sliders some - but it's not the games core principles or what it "demands" of you.

Agree with some that arcade and sim settings should part ways - never will everyone be happy with one setting as we all have our own ways of having fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »