Home

New controller input for future NBA2k games.

This is a discussion on New controller input for future NBA2k games. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon1 New controller input for future NBA2k games.

Thank you for your assistance in improving the document together. Here's a brief introduction to help you better understand my intentions.

The first time I played NBA2k was in 1999, and I have been playing it every year for over 10 years, sometimes regularly. I have witnessed many innovations from the developers in creating the best basketball simulation. It was not an easy task, but with their passion, attention to detail, and creativity, they have risen to the challenge.

Unfortunately, in recent years, I have not seen the same level of creativity and attention to detail. For example, in NBA2k23, we have to choose between the actions "get open pass" or "handoff pass," and it is impossible to have both. We are forced to choose between "help defense" or "double team": it's ridiculous. Additionally, the controller commands are imprecise, complex, and sometimes contradictory, making it difficult for the game itself to understand our intentions.

I could criticize the game for hours, but instead, I have dedicated many hours of my free time to propose controller commands that would solve many issues in the game. I hope to convince you that it is possible, sometimes even easily, to improve your game by demonstrating passion and creativity.

I am sharing with you a document that summarizes all the controller inputs I have envisioned. I eagerly await your feedback, hoping it will be both enthusiastic and constructive. I am open to criticism (as I am not fluent in English, please let me know if what I write is not understandable). I have spent over 10 hours imagining, verifying, and creating this document. With your feedback, I hope to improve the document and eventually submit it to 2k with your support.

(nb : zip file for HD resolution)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commande nba2k.jpg (242.6 KB, 134 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip control nba2k hight res.zip (3.29 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by spinoff; 05-30-2023 at 03:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2023, 03:47 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: New controller input for future NBA2k games.

I've created an image for each category, so it'll be easier
(note that prostick no longer lets you shoot, the right stick only lets you layup/dunk, dribble and defend).

The underlined text signifies that the action has been modified. The asterisk (*) indicates that it is an action that does not exist in NBA2k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran (52).jpg (139.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by spinoff; 05-30-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:49 AM   #3
Rookie

Here's the rest of the gamepad controls.

The underlined text signifies that the action has been modified. The asterisk (*) indicates that it is an action that does not exist in NBA2k.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture d’écran (58).png (1.06 MB, 137 views)
File Type: png Capture d’écran (59).png (1.25 MB, 138 views)
File Type: png Capture d’écran (60).png (1.18 MB, 141 views)
File Type: png Capture d’écran (61).png (1.28 MB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran (62).jpg (150.0 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by spinoff; 05-30-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:00 AM   #4
Rookie

Regarding handoff passes, I kept it simple because I feel it's underutilized in the game, and I had other ideas like the handoff pass and go (which is still possible to do if you're an experienced player).

I would also like to be able to take two steps for a standing layup. It may sound strange, but it would sometimes make the animations more realistic by giving the user the ability to perform a single dribble and then go for a layup while standing still. NBA2k already does this for shots, but not for layups.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

I'm here because you linked this, and it looks interesting. I have to read it closely at some point HAHA. Just saying tho, we in here! I agree with the premise, for sure.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2023, 07:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
I'm here because you linked this, and it looks interesting. I have to read it closely at some point HAHA. Just saying tho, we in here! I agree with the premise, for sure.

-Smak
Thank you for your message. The problem with the internet is that in order to be read you have to keep it short, but by keeping it short you can't develop your ideas. I'm aware that my table is indigestible, so to make it easier to digest, I'd like to make a video presenting the ideas behind the new gamepad controls. The problem is that I don't speak English, only French. If anyone would like to lend me their English voice...

There are two things I'd like to say: my table contains errors, and I need to improve it. And the second thing I'd like to say is that my aim is not to say "I'm right", or "I want to" or "I know how to do things better". My aim is to get the community thinking and REALLY talking about gameplay, to make 2k understand that there are gamers out there who want real improvements, not just cheat cards or a useless city for myPlayer....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »