Home

What is the cause of drastic gameplay changes season to season in NBA Eras?

This is a discussion on What is the cause of drastic gameplay changes season to season in NBA Eras? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
What is the cause of drastic gameplay changes season to season in NBA Eras?

There is something other than sliders that causes this game to move wildly different from season to season and sometimes from game to game.

You can spend time balancing sliders and shoot relatively decently with good games and bad games, then you sim a season and players will go 0-10 on open shots multiple games, with teams shooting high 30%’s.

I’ve played almost every basketball game since Live 2002, I have never seen this much inconsistency in gameplay.

CPU players will play drastically different as well in terms of shot selection.

I was thinking maybe it’s tendencies, but even if I adjust the tendencies this still happens.

In this 2k alone I have started over 15 different NBA Eras and this will happen each time.

Do I have to reload sliders each season?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: What is the cause of drastic gameplay changes season to season in NBA Eras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixEverything2k
There is something other than sliders that causes this game to move wildly different from season to season and sometimes from game to game.

You can spend time balancing sliders and shoot relatively decently with good games and bad games, then you sim a season and players will go 0-10 on open shots multiple games, with teams shooting high 30%’s.

I’ve played almost every basketball game since Live 2002, I have never seen this much inconsistency in gameplay.

CPU players will play drastically different as well in terms of shot selection.

I was thinking maybe it’s tendencies, but even if I adjust the tendencies this still happens.

In this 2k alone I have started over 15 different NBA Eras and this will happen each time.

Do I have to reload sliders each season?
All the under the hood gameplay tweaks and changes is what leads to all this difference in play. Again it’s too bad because 2K determines their gameplay changes mostly based on online play every season and not for the offline players.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:17 AM   #3
Pro

I think it may be a bit more than the tweaks.

Started another MyEra,

Adjusted sliders off of pro, consistent with the other MyEras, the shooting is a bit too high in percentages through several games this first season. CPU players shooting reasonable as well, shot selection not too bad etc.

I’m going to leave the sliders like that, and not touch anything. Hopefully the next season they don’t start shooting abysmal again, and taking terrible shots.

This is more than just a few bad games I’m talking in one season shooting 40-60+% from 3 (which is very high, there is some bad games mixed where it will be low 30’s with poor shooting teams) and then in the following seasons every game played shooting 20% below, even if it’s a team of snipers. User and CPU. To me that variance doesn’t even make sense. I would understand if it was more game to game, but this has happened several times consistently across seasons.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:16 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

I'll bring in classic teams, but the fact that eras is not completely open to editing like modern, to me, makes it a no go. And I feel like in the same way you can't edit it hard like you can modern, there are also, as dudes said, under the hood issues... so I'm not feeling it. Take your classic rosters or w/e to modern, cut the teams down, change rules... gg. My sliders are 90s bball anyway. They should def have the camera filters as options if they don't, or the displays. But yeah, that's my solution. heh.

-Smak
Old 06-12-2023, 11:56 PM   #5
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Have you looked at if guys are going on hot/cold streaks, or becoming overly fatigued from intense practices?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #6
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
I'll bring in classic teams, but the fact that eras is not completely open to editing like modern, to me, makes it a no go.
Is that really the case? Asking as someone not on next-gen. My understanding had been that MyNBA Eras is not actually a distinct mode, but is just the term used for the various retro starting points now available for MyNBA. What are the limitations you're referring to?

As for the topic of the thread: I totally called this back when they first announced these gameplay features. People seemed so excited about new Era-specific gameplay adjustments, completely ignoring the fact that every year people go insane on the sliders trying to get plain ol' modern NBA gameplay to feel right. Like, why in the world would anyone want under-the-hood, non-adjustable gameplay changes happening over the course of a MyNBA save? It's much better if the hardcoded gameplay mechanics are static and one simply uses different slider presets for different Eras.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:11 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Can you give more examples of these drastic gameplay changes you are seeing. I saw you cited 3P% earlier. Are you playing in the 90s? If someone shot 50% from 3 in a season, are you checking their 3PA? I sometimes see players w super high or low percentages and I'm surprised, until I see they've only taken like 10 3s on the year.

I'm on my 3rd year in 1994, and haven't noticed any drastic changes from year to year. I do dislike that MJ shoots like 60-65% every year lol. I lowered his shot IQ to like mid 70s, but he's still shooting around high 50's %. Anyone have any idea on what to edit to get his FG% down but to still play like MJ in gameplay?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »