Home

Why doesn't NBA 2K push or promote the WNBA playoffs?

This is a discussion on Why doesn't NBA 2K push or promote the WNBA playoffs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #17
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why doesn't NBA 2K push or promote the WNBA playoffs?

People can be pretty toxic when it comes to women’s sports. Especially when it comes to the WNBA which has been treated as a punching bag in many jokes. You already know how toxic the NBA 2K community is now imagine 2K promoting the WNBA.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #18
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
We do in EA's FC 24.
Not getting "defensive"; just sayin.
EXACTLY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
People can be pretty toxic when it comes to women’s sports. Especially when it comes to the WNBA which has been treated as a punching bag in many jokes. You already know how toxic the NBA 2K community is now imagine 2K promoting the WNBA.
That's for sure. I saw one person complaining that they couldn't dunk. Stupid stupid stupid.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #19
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshunleon33
WNBA players vs NBA players would be a disadvantage to the WNBA players in Myteam.
How? This is an arcade mode where advantages or disadvantages are totally artificial. Have you seen some of the real-life bums who dominate this mode?

Quote:
I get it because I'm a W fan too but not conducive to winning or profit.
I’m actually not a WNBA fan at all. Virtually everything I know about the WNBA and its players is second-hand from following NBA-related accounts on social media. I just recognize the disconnect between the game and the way it’s marketed, as well as 2K’s poor effort to cross-promote certain modes/features within the game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider
I have an inside source. The rest of my views are opinion. This part is factual.
I'll take your word for it, but for all you know, your guy is one of the 4 devs who hated the idea of bringing in the WNBA, whereas the other 16 thought it was a great move and unbeknownst to all of them it was even such-and-such 2K executive who first had the idea over drinks with the company’s main NBA liaison. You just can’t know. I’ve had legit 2K sources too and they’ve been wrong / in the dark on the rollout of certain features that they thought they were informed about. It’s impossible to have a real understanding of what’s going on in an org without being there in some executive-adjacent capacity or having very open, consultant-type access, and I doubt your source has that or else they wouldn’t have risked their job gossiping about it to you (no offense).

Quote:
I doubt the women (or league) would be in favor of this. These are PEOPLE, not video game characters. You're not really sensitive to the perceptions that would create either.

It's ultimately why they're kept separate. WNBA players don't need to get dunked on and have misogynists pulling Too-Small taunts etc. Or the vice versa of using WNBA players specifically to emasculate other gamers.
Sure, maybe that idea's a dud, but Liz Cambage is 6'8", same height as TMac, who was apparently a beast in a 2K23 MyTeam. A quick gander at https://2kdb.net/ shows an Otis Birdsong on the front page. He is 6'3". A'ja Wilson is 6'4". Height is no excuse. No one's saying they have to drop MyTeam cards for the entire WNBA.

Quote:
I assume we don't have mixed-gender competition in any other sports titles.
Well first of all, how many of the major sports game franchises are even based on a sport that has a female, professional equivalent? There is no WNFL or WMLB. There are female divisions of the combat sports, but that’s a different beast altogether given the obvious domestic-violence overtones of ‘intergender combat’.

Really it’s just football/soccer, which does have mixed-gender competition in what seems to be EA FC’s MyTeam-equivalent mode, as a user above pointed out. Here's an article, and it addresses some of the issues you have expressed re: integrating the WNBA into MyTeam -> https://www.ign.com/articles/eas-mes...is-right-there
Old 10-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #20
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Why doesn't NBA 2K push... WNBA playoffs?
Probably the same reason MLB The Show doesn"t promote the AAA or AA playoffs: its a minor league.
#44Syracuse
Old 10-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #21
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
Well first of all, how many of the major sports game franchises are even based on a sport that has a female, professional equivalent? There is no WNFL or WMLB. There are female divisions of the combat sports, but that’s a different beast altogether given the obvious domestic-violence overtones of ‘intergender combat’.
One of the old UFC games in the early 2000s that came out on the PS2 did it. Around like 2004. But there was only one female fighter that you could fight. Went under the radar because all the games before THQ were ***.

https://youtu.be/7ynMhND7ud0?si=9dXdZA9knjtfNecl

UFC Sudden impact

Last edited by zello144; 10-02-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2023, 02:42 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
The wnba has failed cause women havent supported the league. Don’t make this about the 2k community who frankly paid for the NBA portion or men.

I recall when members were lambasted on here for saying the wnba mode was a waste of resources. Not going to say we were right but the data in terms of how many people played the wnba mode is out there lol

Last edited by loso_34; 10-03-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:53 PM   #23
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
The wnba has failed cause women havent supported the league. Don’t make this about the 2k community who frankly paid for the NBA portion or men.

I recall when members were lambasted on here for saying the wnba mode was a waste of resources. Not going to say we were right but the data in terms of how many people played the wnba mode is out there lol
All that doesn't really answer the question of why they are not in my team. It's very simple. Even from a game design. It's literally an arcade mode. I hate this excuse of women not supporting women. Bill Burr right? This isn't the same thing. I'm not talking about real life basketball arenas. I'm talking about in 2K. The W players should be My Team and WNBA PNO should be a thing. I think that's simple as ****. It's not about women supporting a game they don't play. Come on man.

It's like someone said people chase players cards. Players they don't even ****ing know lol. That's hilarious!! Why can't the W players be in that part of the game? You would easily promote them that way.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:37 PM   #24
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34

Personally I'd rather see Euroleague, NBL, and maybe some Chinese teams added instead of the WNBA but even when they had the Euroleague teams barely anybody used them and 2K didn't do anything with them in the modes.

I'd like to see female Myplayers in regular park/city but that will never happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »