Home

Regular season games added following the end of group play in MyERA

This is a discussion on Regular season games added following the end of group play in MyERA within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 11-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
Regular season games added following the end of group play in MyERA

So I noticed earlier this morning that the NBA has released the rest of the regular season games that weren't released when the schedule was finally given out back in August. The first week of December was left completely blank because that week is of course the knockout round and semifinals and finals of the in-season tournament. After you finish the group play games in your MyEra file you will see that particular week filled up with games ... HOWEVER I did notice that for the other 22 teams that don't make the knockout round for the tournament the games they play during that week DO NOT match the actual NBA schedule. For example:

The Orlando Magic are now scheduled to play Washington on Dec 6th on the road and the Philadelphia 76ers on Dec 8th on the road. According to the NBA schedule the Magic are scheduled for a road game on the December 6th at Cleveland and then host Detroit at home on December 8th.

Here's another small issue. In MyEra file the Miami Heat play at home against Charlotte on December 6th and then play at home on December 8th against Denver. Now Denver is in the Western Conference and as I scrolled down the Heat schedule guess what I find. The two games against the Nuggets that they would play like every season (Feb. 29 @ Denver; Mar. 13 vs. Denver) ... so I have a Western Conference team and Eastern Conference team that will play each other 3 times instead of 2 times during the season.

Going through the other teams I noticed that some teams either will be on the road for both games, some are home for both games and some have 1 away and 1 home.

I'm not saying this ruins the game for me but it does somewhat irritate me that something like this comes up. I can't remember the last time I was able to just play my franchise without having to do workarounds to things that shouldn't be issues.

Anyways, just giving everyone a heads up. Feel free to share any odd schedule making post tournament group play that you notice in your MyEra

Former Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
Eaglerock562 NBA2K MyEra Reference Guide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
MVP

PhlliesPhan6's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Regular season games added following the end of group play in MyERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerock562
So I noticed earlier this morning that the NBA has released the rest of the regular season games that weren't released when the schedule was finally given out back in August. The first week of December was left completely blank because that week is of course the knockout round and semifinals and finals of the in-season tournament. After you finish the group play games in your MyEra file you will see that particular week filled up with games ... HOWEVER I did notice that for the other 22 teams that don't make the knockout round for the tournament the games they play during that week DO NOT match the actual NBA schedule. For example:

The Orlando Magic are now scheduled to play Washington on Dec 6th on the road and the Philadelphia 76ers on Dec 8th on the road. According to the NBA schedule the Magic are scheduled for a road game on the December 6th at Cleveland and then host Detroit at home on December 8th.

Here's another small issue. In MyEra file the Miami Heat play at home against Charlotte on December 6th and then play at home on December 8th against Denver. Now Denver is in the Western Conference and as I scrolled down the Heat schedule guess what I find. The two games against the Nuggets that they would play like every season (Feb. 29 @ Denver; Mar. 13 vs. Denver) ... so I have a Western Conference team and Eastern Conference team that will play each other 3 times instead of 2 times during the season.

Going through the other teams I noticed that some teams either will be on the road for both games, some are home for both games and some have 1 away and 1 home.

I'm not saying this ruins the game for me but it does somewhat irritate me that something like this comes up. I can't remember the last time I was able to just play my franchise without having to do workarounds to things that shouldn't be issues.

Anyways, just giving everyone a heads up. Feel free to share any odd schedule making post tournament group play that you notice in your MyEra
I'm not sure the exact methodology used by the NBA for the schedule here, but it makes sense that in MyNBA the schedule won't match exaclty that week since in your season different teams will advance to the quarterfinals. The remaining schedule is made from teams that did not advance.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlliesPhan6
I'm not sure the exact methodology used by the NBA for the schedule here, but it makes sense that in MyNBA the schedule won't match exaclty that week since in your season different teams will advance to the quarterfinals. The remaining schedule is made from teams that did not advance.
Just from a quick look around at articles, the Miami Herald was the only outlet I found that mentioned any kind of methodology:

Quote:
In scheduling the missing two games for the 22 teams that did not make the quarterfinals of the tournament, the NBA attempted to match up two teams from the same conference that were initially scheduled to face each other only three times instead of four.
So...I guess 2K could make sure their game logic prioritizes opponents from the same conference for creating those two games, but I can't say it's something that I'd ever notice or would bother me. It's never going to match the actual NBA so I'm fine with those two games being random opponents too.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

What a headache this must've been for 2K to getting the tournament in, but they did it. And even by patch. I give them all the credit in the world for attempting it. Meanwhile The Shows developers had to have MLB bail them out of figuring rotating interleague schedules.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2023, 05:18 PM   #5
MVP

This can be found on the nba website under their in-season tournament faq:

Each of the 22 teams that do not advance to the Quarterfinals of the In-Season Tournament will be assigned two regular-season games (one home game and one away game) that will be played on Wednesday, Dec. 6 and Friday, Dec. 8. A formulaic approach will determine the matchups for these 22 games using the Group Play standings in each conference (fifth through 15th).

Two of the 22 games will be scheduled cross-conference because there will be an odd number of teams in each conference that do not advance to the Quarterfinals. These cross-conference games will be scheduled between bottom-finishing teams in Group Play subject to travel constraints, and no team will play more than one of its two games cross-conference. The other 20 games will be scheduled within conference featuring teams that are otherwise scheduled to play each other three times over the course of the season wherever possible.

The losing teams in the Quarterfinals in each conference will play each other in a regular-season game on Dec. 8.

So 2 east and 2 west teams would play each other according to the explanation above. First year doing this I don't expect it to be accurate in the game of course, but going forward maybe they could add the logic into the cpu?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Considering I thought there was no way they'd even get this in this year, as the coding to implement something like that into an already established mode must've been hell, I'll give them a pass for this. The schedule will never match up with the real NBA anyway unless the exact same teams move on in your franchise vs real life
Old 12-02-2023, 02:21 AM   #7
MVP

Well I sim all the other games according to the results in real life so actually all 8 teams that made the knockout round did so in myera file, with just one slight difference. Indiana plays New York and Milwaukee plays Boston ... the reason why its not Indiana vs. Boston and Milwaukee vs. New York is because of the point differential. Lakers vs. Suns and Kings vs. Pelicans on the west side is accurate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »