Home

NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #5441
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
Stretches of time not missing is different than "never" missing. Sure, what you mention can happen.
It shouldn't happen tho. Ever. I should never pay $60 for a game that you simply cannot win at. That there's literally no way to counteract the programming in the game. I remember you saying you're an older guy, so you've seen how video games have progressed over the years. In action-rpg games the hardest bosses might take 30x to beat. You may get utterly frustrated and put the game down. You may eventually come back and beat it whether by sheer repetition, or by looking it up online. In fps games you may dominate the single player, but go online and get stomped. But through practice and repetition you can get better and eventually get that ******* that camped you 5 times in a row. Maybe you start being that guy yourself. In rts games, you can up the difficulty and make it so hard you die in 30 seconds and try to make a game out of just surviving. In other sports games the computer might pick you off 5 times in a row, but you start running the ball more and make more careful passes and tighten up on defense or hockey, I dunno much about it but I'd assume there's ways get better there too. The funny thing about this game is that it's not long stretches of like 5 minutes, it's a whole quarter. Sometimes it's the whole game. And it's not just on hall of fame either. It's how the game is built. The game relies way too heavily on the momentum system and when you're only controlling one player it's Damn near impossible to over come it. Maybe if our own user input wasnt so restricted and bogged down it might be easier. But there's literally times when the computer takes over my own player and makes the worst scenarios happen with no control of mine what so ever. When I'm going to the lane and see someone standing right under the basket 3 things happen if I try to pass him. The computer will go psychic and super speed reaction time to intercept it, I'll get the pass off but he takes so long to go up with the ball he gets swatted or misses entirely, or he'll bobble the ball and lose it if doesn't make it. A dump off pass is supposed to be easy buckets 90% of the time, not 20. If he does make it, then it's immediately followed by a foul on the other end, or a 3 in my face most of the time. And God forbid I miss or turn it over, it's guaranteed points on the other end. I'll literally chase him down, meet him at the rim, and not a signature skill on this earth will help me. Eraser, chase down artist, or lockdown defender, I'm hosed. But wait, if I do get the block? THE COMPUTER GETS THE REBOUND AND SCORES ANYWAYS! BEFORE MY PLAYER TOUCHES THE GROUND OR HAS A CHANCE TO REACT!

If you haven't played 60+ games in this mode, you have zero credibility in this thread. Seriously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #5442
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

I have a very very very basketball friendly scenario for you.

I can't guard every player on the court for 24 seconds. Can't do it. Period. But, say I literally am there for every single place the computer is trying to go, they're passing the ball around and I'm sniffing everything. 3-2 seconds left and the ball is down low, I run down to get the block, kick out to my man drain it. So next time I stay home, 3-2 seconds I'm standing in front of him with the ball, my big man loses his guy baseline, score. The next time, I'm standing in front of him 3-2 steps into his shot, I'm pushing forward towards him trying to swat it into his face and my player MOVES OFF HIM drained in my face. Next time down, deny, deny, deny, playing the weak side, shot goes up go in for the board, clog the lane, the cpu pushes everyone out of the way, the pg gets the ball, goes up for the score or foul.

Come on coach, in real basketball, what do you do?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #5443
Hall of Fame

www.Coach2K.com's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
It shouldn't happen tho. Ever. I should never pay $60 for a game that you simply cannot win at. That there's literally no way to counteract the programming in the game. I remember you saying you're an older guy, so you've seen how video games have progressed over the years. In action-rpg games the hardest bosses might take 30x to beat. You may get utterly frustrated and put the game down. You may eventually come back and beat it whether by sheer repetition, or by looking it up online. In fps games you may dominate the single player, but go online and get stomped. But through practice and repetition you can get better and eventually get that ******* that camped you 5 times in a row. Maybe you start being that guy yourself. In rts games, you can up the difficulty and make it so hard you die in 30 seconds and try to make a game out of just surviving. In other sports games the computer might pick you off 5 times in a row, but you start running the ball more and make more careful passes and tighten up on defense or hockey, I dunno much about it but I'd assume there's ways get better there too. The funny thing about this game is that it's not long stretches of like 5 minutes, it's a whole quarter. Sometimes it's the whole game. And it's not just on hall of fame either. It's how the game is built. The game relies way too heavily on the momentum system and when you're only controlling one player it's Damn near impossible to over come it. Maybe if our own user input wasnt so restricted and bogged down it might be easier. But there's literally times when the computer takes over my own player and makes the worst scenarios happen with no control of mine what so ever. When I'm going to the lane and see someone standing right under the basket 3 things happen if I try to pass him. The computer will go psychic and super speed reaction time to intercept it, I'll get the pass off but he takes so long to go up with the ball he gets swatted or misses entirely, or he'll bobble the ball and lose it if doesn't make it. A dump off pass is supposed to be easy buckets 90% of the time, not 20. If he does make it, then it's immediately followed by a foul on the other end, or a 3 in my face most of the time. And God forbid I miss or turn it over, it's guaranteed points on the other end. I'll literally chase him down, meet him at the rim, and not a signature skill on this earth will help me. Eraser, chase down artist, or lockdown defender, I'm hosed. But wait, if I do get the block? THE COMPUTER GETS THE REBOUND AND SCORES ANYWAYS! BEFORE MY PLAYER TOUCHES THE GROUND OR HAS A CHANCE TO REACT!

If you haven't played 60+ games in this mode, you have zero credibility in this thread. Seriously.

I have played that many games in that mode. As an experiment, recently I started another MyCareer file with a non upgraded MyPlayer rated 64 overall just to see what's possible and what's not if you don't upgrade and I'm well over 50 plus games in that file alone.

Check out my fictional MyLeague series by clicking here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by www.Coach2K.com; 07-26-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #5444
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

Quote:
I have played that many games in that mode. As an experiment, recently I started another MyCareer file with a non upgraded MyPlayer rated 64 overall just to see what's possible and what's not if you don't upgrade and I'm well over 50 plus games in that file alone.
So you're a 64 rated pg starting for what team? Do you play 12 minute quarters hall of fame? Simulation, real player fg and ft percentage? What's your stat line? Team chemistry?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #5445
Hall of Fame

www.Coach2K.com's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
So you're a 64 rated pg starting for what team? Do you play 12 minute quarters hall of fame? Simulation, real player fg and ft percentage? What's your stat line? Team chemistry?

It's easier to show you than write it down. In this game I was experimenting with pick and rolls and haven't dug in to learn the Suns playbook yet (I was hoping to get to the Pacers because I already know that one) but on defense this is how you do it. Same thing can happen to me as you but more times than not this defensive strategy works well. Committing your player on defense to the ball is about spacing and timing. There was a part in this game where Duncan was hot and I had to figure out what to do. If you watch, you can see what I'm talking about.

Team chemistry is down because this follows being traded by the Suns to the Bucks and then back to the Suns which is crazy and then it also follows the side kick conversation which in my file came way after the all star break because of what I'm doing and I told him I didn't want to do it lol.

It's 12 min hof sim. I use user timing because I think that's harder but I can't shoot anyway and in this game I think I had 7 points.

http://youtu.be/42SC4dd8l_k

Last edited by www.Coach2K.com; 07-26-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #5446
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
It's easier to show you than write it down. In this game I was experimenting with pick and rolls and haven't dug in to learn the Suns playbook yet (I was hoping to get to the Pacers because I already know that one) but on defense this is how you do it. Same thing can happen to me as you but more times than not this defensive strategy works well. Committing your player on defense to the ball is about spacing and timing. There was a part in this game where Duncan was hot and I had to figure out what to do. If you watch, you can see what I'm talking about.

Team chemistry is down because this follows being traded by the Suns to the Bucks and then back to the Suns which is crazy and then it also follows the side kick conversation which in my file came way after the all star break because of what I'm doing and I told him I didn't want to do it lol.

It's 12 min hof sim. I use user timing because I think that's harder but I can't shoot anyway and in this game I think I had 7 points.

http://youtu.be/42SC4dd8l_k
I didn't watch all of the video, but it seems to me like you pick n roll too much, and you only look to pass when you do. There was alot of times in just the parts I watched where you could have initiated a layup animation really easily after using the pick but then you just pass. You can tell your focused on passing too much. You should practice how to use pace/explosions to the rim and practice passing out of shots. Also, use floaters to get those buckets over the big boys..

Also, I really suggest you at least run some plays for your shooters. Call some floppy plays. They're money against the CPU.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #5447
Hall of Fame

www.Coach2K.com's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
I didn't watch all of the video, but it seems to me like you pick n roll too much, and you only look to pass when you do. There was alot of times in just the parts I watched where you could have initiated a layup animation really easily after using the pick but then you just pass. You can tell your focused on passing too much. You should practice how to use pace/explosions to the rim and practice passing out of shots. Also, use floaters to get those buckets over the big boys..

Also, I really suggest you at least run some plays for your shooters. Call some floppy plays. They're money against the CPU.
Keep in mind, this video was a display of how to play defense in mycareer not an example of the best way to play offense. As I mentioned, I was experimenting with pick and rolls in this game. My player is a pass first point guard and so that's why I look to pass. The other reason is that it's been said that you have to totally dominate in order to win and that's another reason I didn't look to score to determine if that's really true and it's not.

You can have the same results running plays once you master those which I haven't got to on the to do list with this squad yet.

Even then I would still look to pass and not shoot because that's the type of player I created.

Last edited by www.Coach2K.com; 07-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #5448
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRRXN
Lakers fam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up re-signing with the Mavs. In the end it came down to the Mavs, Thunder & Clips. The thunder were really appealing but I've heard about so many problems with Durant and Westbrook's AI (even though at least 1 usually has a huge game against me) that it made me hesitant. I'm glad I didn't sign with OKC because the CPU started Westbrook-MarShon Brooks over Collison/Westbrook & that woulda pissed me off. Even though the Clippers are my IRL rival, they looked so stacked. But comparing Mavs to Clips, it was basically either CP3/Blake or Lebron/D12.. had to go with Mavs since I wanted to be there too & didnt wanna leave the team I just won a chip with.

One thing that made me really mad though, is even though Dirk announced in the beginning of the 15-16 season he was retiring at seasons end, and we let him ride out with a 2nd chip, the game decided he wasn't ready to lace them up and signed a 2 year (2nd year PO) with the ROCKETS. So we basically swapped Dirk for D12 :3 So much for Dirk being a lifer..

Last edited by Mbunn1993; 07-26-2014 at 01:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »