Home

NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #5457
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K14 (Next Gen.) Official MyCAREER Thread

Tried my first coach impression after not playing for a week. I had 5 turn overs in the first 5 minutes. Had like 8-8-4 to end the half. Monta couldn't hit anything all game and dirk couldn't hit a wide open 3 to save his life. Ended up losing after exploding in the 3rd when everyone went cold. Led the whole game and got the dreaded "keep the lead" dynamic goal and even after stephen curry went down nedovic and iggy started torching me to win by 9.

I'm not playing my pg anymore. Lol
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #5458
Hall of Fame

www.Coach2K.com's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
You, sir, play impeccable defense. I will give you that. I watched the game in its entirety and an very impressed. You play with extreme discipline. You hardly went for the steal in the passing lane, although you still were in position. Your lone block of the game was also impressive as you showed great patience and took the correct angle. Also, very patient on offense. I would suggest seeing your offensive sets when you start the game to spread the floor instead of the motion cuts to help with spacing. Also, I'm very impressed with your patience And rotations on the pick and roll.

Now, onto the bad. I did notice that you got bailed out. Where you were leading by 12 with 3 minutes to go in the first half, when coach subbed you out, the Spurs magically came within 5. Understood, things happen. Then when you were down by the end of the 3rd you came in with a 2 possession lead and simply had to maintain it. Not necessarily anything you could control, just extremely fortunate. However, I'd also like to point out how the computer forced 2 bad turn overs in the first half that should have been easy passes. In top of that, when you said Duncan was getting hot, most of those shots were highly contested double team fade away jumpers. Very difficult indeed. Lastly, the impeccable ability the computer has to get back on defense. You don't really use turbo a lot and that's impressive in itself, but every time you turned on the jets the cpu was already in position. I truly hope next year we don't have to call for so many picks and they will be more effective at that.

However, very impressed.

I appreciate the good comments.

I'm also pleased you watched all of it. Most of the stuff I put up, many people just look for one thing they can pick out they don't like and then overlook the main lesson from the video example. And when you watch a 12 min quarter game, either in my career or in any other mode, you can always find something out of 150 to 200 total possessions you won't like.

Most people play defense too tight and try and stop everything and then actually stop nothing because they get out of position. They try and force the game to do what they want on both offense and defense and then blame the game when that strategy doesn't work.

Situationally you are right, I'd did benefit from not being in a big deficit but some of that is the tone set while you are in the game and I could have easily collapsed at the end but didn't. The lack of signature skills like closer, lock down defender, dimer, etc didn't prevent me from playing good defense nor making good decisions on offense.

Good defense though is predicated by effective shot selection and taking care of the ball on offense.

With Duncan, I had to change the time when I doubled and experiment with spacing during the game because he was hitting some tough shots. A keen look at the video will show that I made a slight adjustment to get in his space without him passing to my guy who we all know would hit it.

What you saw on defense there was the culmination of hours and hours of hall of fame CPU study. I have been torched, pummeled, smothered and roundly defeated by the hof CPU in the process - everything everybody else complains about. The odd thing is that every bit of what everyone complains about IS true.

BUT...

It doesn't have to be.

All that practice and getting defeated taught me the discipline you saw that is required to make it not happen and that's the key ingredient. When you play that way, eventually you don't even think about difficulty and it's a blast - especially that big block I got on Parker that you noticed.

What's needed to play well is the same across all modes (including 5 guys in team up vs the HOF CPU surprisingly).

The real lesson here is that a LARGE majority of those of you who might read this could all beat me in a head to head matchup and that also means something pretty important.

While it's not easy, it does mean you can all do what I did with the right mindset.

And if it's too frustrating or you don't have the hours of time to really focus on it to develop that mindset, set the difficulty to where you get the gameplay you like.

Check out my fictional MyLeague series by clicking here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by www.Coach2K.com; 07-27-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #5459
Rookie

I can't view Coach 2K's video for some reason, but I know when I'm playing defense, I'm usually giving space for better to top-rated players so I don't get blown by, and pressing defense on lower rated players to force turnovers.

I play on HoF too.

I don't know if that's how any of you guys play, but that's just me.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #5460
MVP

Magnus1959's Arena

OVR: 7

Finally got the shoes for my PF-SF and remade the Hyperflight 24K Golds.
Kansas State Wildcats
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #5461
Rookie

ekferio's Arena

OVR: 4

In my 2nd season with 94 rating, still gets traded to crap teams. I don't get the trade logic in this game. Superstar players like Kobe and Lebron go to bad teams too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #5462
MVP

Magnus1959's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm struggling to get rebounds on my Center Career compared to my PF. They are pretty much the same player so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Kansas State Wildcats
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #5463
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1959
I'm struggling to get rebounds on my Center Career compared to my PF. They are pretty much the same player so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
How tall is the center? There is a known issue with players over 7' having trouble grabbing boards.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #5464
Hall of Fame

www.Coach2K.com's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekferio
In my 2nd season with 94 rating, still gets traded to crap teams. I don't get the trade logic in this game. Superstar players like Kobe and Lebron go to bad teams too.

I was drafted by the Suns and about the beginning of February asked for a trade and was sent to the Bucks.

I immediately told them I didn't want to play there. The team most interested in acquiring me after that?

The Suns and I was traded back to them right before the deadline.

And they were happy to have me! Lol

But it was a different GM.

Check out my fictional MyLeague series by clicking here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by www.Coach2K.com; 07-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »