Home

NBA 2K14 - The Little Things

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 - The Little Things within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA 2K14 - The Little Things

Here's a few things I've noticed:

-Crowd chatter. Oh, how awesome. This game simply needs to be heard on a properly calibrated 5.1 surround system. Not only do the fans swell/get louder at the correct times during the game, but you can hear them talk and yell in your back speakers constantly. They boo opposing stars (at least they do in Toronto where that always seems to happen). Individual fans react to players and their actions during the game. One time I heard a fan yell "GET 'EM JONAS" as Valanciunas was posting up. I could understand including this for Kobe and Lebron but VALANCIUNAS? Man...
Nevertheless, it was cool to hear a few specific comments in key situations. One specific female audience member always seems to get upset whenever I miss a shot or get the ball stolen. Lots of "AW, C'MON!" and "HANG ONTO THE BALL!" reactions there. Probably some of the best crowd heckling/chatter I've heard from 2K since playing the underrated MLB 2K7.

-Damon Bruce sometimes interrupts the game from the studio on a free throw or a stoppage to talk about the latest scores from around the league while the action in your game minimizes to a smaller window. Really specific information, not only relating to scores but top performers in those games as well. No true in-game video highlights (yet), but "WOW" was my first reaction when I saw it happen for the first time.

-Speaking of presentation, I love the TNT-inspired pre-game and post-halftime "city shot" bumpers. In my first game, Kevin Harlan talked about the new Cityplace condo development in Toronto, saying it was "located within walking distance of both Toronto sports arenas" (probably referring to Air Canada Centre and Rogers Centre). In my next game, after Bruce's halftime report, the game's 3D Nets logo hovered above the Brooklyn Bridge before heading back inside the arena, like TNT often does. Needless to say...this is my favorite in-game presentation since the almighty ESPN NFL 2K5. 2K knocked it into another time zone on PS4.

-Had a few injuries happen on bad falls. Monta Ellis received some nasty incidental contact and fell to the sidelines. Play stopped, his teammates helped him to his feet and carried him to the bench. In the next shot, he seemed to be wincing in pain on the side. Later in the game, Kevin Harlan threw to Doris Burke about "the injury to Monta Ellis" and she said it wasn't serious but he'd miss the rest of the game. Good touch because I hardly ever saw this happen in current gen. Players seemed to take nasty contact but rarely (if ever) got injured.

-Samuel Dalembert dunks and the Nets call timeout on the following inbound. The shot shows Dalembert walking to the bench, when suddenly Nowitzki walks in and puts his arm around him, talking to him as they walk to the bench. Never saw that happen in any video game outside of scripted cutscenes, so for this to happen in real-time was pretty awesome.

I'll post more in this thread when I play more games. Otherwise, amazing all around so far on next-gen.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 11-16-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Rookie

KingCashus's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight

-Crowd chatter. Oh, how awesome. This game simply needs to be heard on a properly calibrated 5.1 surround system. Not only do the fans swell/get louder at the correct times during the game, but you can hear them talk and yell in your back speakers constantly. They boo opposing stars (at least they do in Toronto where that always seems to happen). Individual fans react to players and their actions during the game. One time I heard a fan yell "GET 'EM JONAS" as Valanciunas was posting up. I could understand including this for Kobe and Lebron but VALANCIUNAS? Man...
Nevertheless, it was cool to hear a few specific comments in key situations. One specific female audience member always seems to get upset whenever I miss a shot or get the ball stolen. Lots of "AW, C'MON!" and "HANG ONTO THE BALL!" reactions there. Probably some of the best crowd heckling/chatter I've heard from 2K since playing the underrated MLB 2K7.
JUST got a 5.1 setup recently. All I need now is a PS4 haha. That sounds fantastic man, great write-up.

NBA 2K14 Next Gen is a must-buy.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I like the the details in the goal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight

-Damon Bruce sometimes interrupts the game from the studio on a free throw or a stoppage to talk about the latest scores from around the league while the action in your game minimizes to a smaller window. Really specific information, not only relating to scores but top performers in those games as well. No true in-game video highlights (yet), but "WOW" was my first reaction when I saw it happen for the first time.

-Speaking of presentation, I love the TNT-inspired pre-game and post-halftime "city shot" bumpers. In my first game, Kevin Harlan talked about the new Cityplace condo development in Toronto, saying it was "located within walking distance of both Toronto sports arenas" (probably referring to Air Canada Centre and Rogers Centre). In my next game, after Bruce's halftime report, the game's 3D Nets logo hovered above the Brooklyn Bridge before heading back inside the arena, like TNT often does. Needless to say...this is my favorite in-game presentation since the almighty ESPN NFL 2K5. 2K knocked it into another time zone on PS4.

-Had a few injuries happen on bad falls. Monta Ellis received some nasty incidental contact and fell to the sidelines. Play stopped, his teammates helped him to his feet and carried him to the bench. In the next shot, he seemed to be wincing in pain on the side. Later in the game, Kevin Harlan threw to Doris Burke about "the injury to Monta Ellis" and she said it wasn't serious but he'd miss the rest of the game. Good touch because I hardly ever saw this happen in current gen. Players seemed to take nasty contact but rarely (if ever) got injured.

-Samuel Dalembert dunks and the Nets call timeout on the following inbound. The shot shows Dalembert walking to the bench, when suddenly Nowitzki walks in and puts his arm around him, talking to him as they walk to the bench. Never saw that happen in any video game outside of scripted cutscenes, so for this to happen in real-time was pretty awesome.

I'll post more in this thread when I play more games. Otherwise, amazing all around so far on next-gen.
On your ps4 which audio setting are you using, PCM, DTS, or Dolby
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiggsIV
On your ps4 which audio setting are you using, PCM, DTS, or Dolby
I have my PS4 (and PS3) outputting PCM right now. Great results using those settings, and the PS4's audio --- especially in 2K14 --- outputs crystal clear. Compared to the muddy, bassy in-game audio of 2K13 on PS3, the 2K14 audio has a lot more range and the clarity is off the charts.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Banned

I definitely need to buy an hdmi splitter for my el Gato.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Banned

Ordered my splitter today
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

BUMPING

Finally heard the Brooklyn chants....dunno what triggered it but I was getting blown out by the Nets and they started to chant near the end of the game.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »