Home

NBA 2K for a Basketball newbie?

This is a discussion on NBA 2K for a Basketball newbie? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K for a Basketball newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletore2002
Thank you for all the help. I understand the rules, I just get confused with all the individual moves and when to do them. I think I will get the game and give training mode a chance
I've just gone through the curve ahead of you in the last couple of months, albeit on the old NBA 2k12. The controls are different now, but the process will be the same.

It takes a while. I came from years of Madden, and so what hit me rioght away was I could get a competitive game from the CPU. I mean, Holy Crap! I was in heaven. In fact, I was so clumsy and clueless with the controls I was getting whooped on the second easiest difficulty setting. I was too ashamed to play on rookie, the lowest level though.

I don't know if training camp is in NG, but on CG, you have to put time into the training camp. It's actually well done and a little fun, because you can see directly how your skill level is translating into improved game play. Some of it is a grind, so you have to be patient, and repetition is key.

I'm not a great stick skills guy, so I need more repetition than others, to develop more muslcle memory. But then again, I believe the controls have been streamilined since the 2k12 version, where advanced moves got a little complicated.

What you also learn to do is play basketball like it has to be played, finding good matchups, countering the other team's strengths and strategizing on offense and defense to your advantage, running and practicing plays, varying your attack, moving the ball around, etc. Just running dribbling around and shooting it will not cut it.

Two or three months later, I'm playing on the third difficulty level with sim slider set and a few custom tweaks. That's another difference from Madden: this game has a setting that makes the sliders more sim than arcade if that's what you want. And the sliders actually work! You can see the effect they have on the game, game stats, percentages, etc. with just a few moves of (+/-) 2 points.

My advice is, if you like playing sim type sports, take the time to learn NBA 2k. I played basketball as a kid but have not been an NBA fan since my Ewing/Starks/Oakley Knicks could not overcome the Bulls. But I've become so tired of Madden's perennial shortcomings that I finally tried 2k, and now it's my primary game, even on the old version 2k12.

I have not played NG Madden or 2k yet as I will be getting an Xbone, so I can't comment on how Training Camp is on NG NBA 2k, and I understand Madden has better gameplay now that is closer to sim, while a lot of legacy issues still remain. But still, give NBA 2k a shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »