Home

Is This The Biggest Year to Year Regression of All-Time?

This is a discussion on Is This The Biggest Year to Year Regression of All-Time? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is This The Biggest Year to Year Regression of All-Time?

I'm going to say this is the biggest year to year PROgression. At least on the court. Lots of things outside need work but at least they got right what matters. This year they can work on all the little annoyances.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAwesome
Damn did everyone expect this to be lights out on the first game of generation. IT'S NOT A PORT. So they don't have same things from 360/PS3 2K14. Things will be fixed via patches and 2k15. Relax and enjoy the game
How can you enjoy a game if there aren't the modes that you want to play? it is not a question of relaxing mate
Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAwesome
Damn did everyone expect this to be lights out on the first game of generation. IT'S NOT A PORT. So they don't have same things from 360/PS3 2K14. Things will be fixed via patches and 2k15. Relax and enjoy the game
it seems no one here, except this guy ^^, understands how videogames are made.

first of all, comparing nba2k14 to madden 25 on ps4/xbox1 is moot. apples versus oranges. madden is approx ~9gb while nba2k14 is approx ~43gb.

coding a game from the ground up, is like building a skyscraper. you start at the foundation and work your way up. building and solidifying the structure first. then you install the interior of the building.

madden (at 9gb may i remind you) was a port with minor tweaks to graphics and physics. i like madden 25 ps4, but i like it for what it is, not what i want it to be.

nba2k14, on the other hand, was rebuilt. recoded from the ground up. yes, it's missing a few things you're used to. but 2k didn't "take them out". they just haven't yet had time to install them. coding some software takes years upon years. if you don't like that, you should stop playing games and save yourself some heartache.
NCAA - CLEMSON
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIP4LIFE

first of all, comparing nba2k14 to madden 25 on ps4/xbox1 is moot. apples versus oranges. madden is approx ~9gb while nba2k14 is approx ~43gb.

coding a game from the ground up, is like building a skyscraper. you start at the foundation and work your way up. building and solidifying the structure first. then you install the interior of the building.

madden (at 9gb may i remind you) was a port with minor tweaks to graphics and physics. i like madden 25 ps4, but i like it for what it is, not what i want it to be.

nba2k14, on the other hand, was rebuilt. recoded from the ground up. yes, it's missing a few things you're used to. but 2k didn't "take them out". they just haven't yet had time to install them. coding some software takes years upon years. if you don't like that, you should stop playing games and save yourself some heartache.
You honestly raise a good point. I admittedly know very little about how things work behind closed doors. I'd reckon it's just tough for some folks to hear that line then figure out how it was so possible to create a coding base that allows for virtual currency to successfully seep its way into every single mode with great precision while 2K was apparently unable to master staples like Create-a-Player and local roster saves.

I think its sensible for those folks to wonder if that's more about 2K being unable to finish all the projects they desired or if this is just about an overarching direction change being made by 2K as a whole (that began to creep up with 2K13).
Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 0

A lot of simple things are gone--can't turn on or off any rules or violations which has been like in every game before. No excuse for taking away so much user control.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Rookie

seanhazz1's Arena

Quote:

Not entirely true.

First, what is "from the ground up" for 2k? Its exactly what they tell us it is, period.

QUESTION: If this game uses greater than 4x the amount of space of current gen (43gb, up from 9gb.)as stated, shouldn't it be 4x better? Do you feel that about the first next gen release, or are we still caught up in the looks?

"From the ground" up is just not cost effective, and unlikely unless you are talking about the other next gen BBALL game, which started without 3 years of profits (no LIVE games released) to work with to offset costs.

I expected certain short comings in this release. New software development and features are run by cost (Man hours associated with development), because they want to make more and more profit every year with the same tired franchise until it is milked dry, and they are FORCED to redesign through hefty competition or new hardware.

If the cost to integrate the existing current features software code, into NG console hardware became too expensive, it (the feature sets) were probably axed until another development cycle with a greater funding cap. If they did it with their current budget, it would be buggy and more broken than it always was on current gen because of integration, so to keep initial costs down, features are not included that could potentially break the game. Often, debugging costs more than writing because it involves testing and hardware integration phases too, which are often separately funded programs in the development cycle.

Features don't take years, the money to fund an idea and get it approved can take that long though. In the end they are going to make a profit one way or another.

Someone should make a list of all NBA2K features removed over the years and re-added and/or re-marketed as new in a subsequent release, or omitted altogether, so we can actually see the additions/subtractions stacked next to each other and compare notes.

Using facts to support our observations gives us more credibility, in theory anyway.

I won't be playing it until Friday (Xbox One), so I have been trying to refrain since release (next gen) from commenting other than current gen.

In spite of the recent negativity and next gen feature omissions, I will buy it (and LIVE), just doing what lemmings do.

Next year, with competition (if LIVE doesn't cancel) hopefully, we will have a truer representation of our ideas of a greater game of video game basketball. For now I have something to do until "The Show" is released.
NBA 2k18
Madden 18
Absolver
STO
TWITCH Stream
BEAM Stream
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:

Uhm sir…you can't save rosters…lol. Let me say that again, you CANNOT. Save. Rosters…How do you release a sports games where you Cannot. Save Rosters.

And don't give me that "there was no time" bs argument because they sure had time to ad "40 hours of cutscenes" and worthless features that require hours upon hours of grinding for VC. That argument is weak and lame because I would have MUCH rather had 35 hours of cutscenes and been able to edit my damn roster.

I don't care what they built "from the ground up", they could have added freaking boats, and being able to make it rain with JR smith at the club before a playoff game, but I want to save my damn roster!

Last edited by JrueToTheGame; 11-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

You guys don't like the game NG this year?
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »