Home

How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts?

This is a discussion on How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How Should 2k Respond to Community Disappointment over Features Cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I still think guys are overreacting to ONE year of changes. All this talk about concern about the direction the game is heading off of ONE entry in the series. It's like guys suddenly act like they don't know how console transitions work. We knew this was a unique situation going into this year of sports titles because consoles were dropping this year. We knew 2K was going to be a launch title so everything changed to reflect that. The marketing was going to be different from the norm (although the way that was handled was a little ridiculous) and the game itself was going to go either one of two ways. Either it was going to be a straight port of current gen or they were going to completely switch things up.

Last launch, people questioned/criticized 2K for porting 2K6 and not going with a new engine/new foundation for the series. This time out, they brought a new engine to lay a foundation for the future while still including features, although maybe not all the ones people are used to/want. Lost in all the 'sky is falling' panic attacks are the rationale thoughts of why things happened the way they did. Did it ever occur to anybody that with the engine, meant that completely new code had to be written to incorporate some things and it's possible trying to put something in broke something else so it was left out until it could be done right and without messing up another portion of the game? Did anybody stop and think about the fact that they've been working on this game for one or two years and certain feature decisions were dictated by the hardware they're working on? For example. There's no custom arena music this time around. Why is that? Because of the console not allowing you to even play CDs on them to push their own music service. Perhaps the reason for the cloud, online connected stuff in the game has to do with the Xbox Always Online stuff that was apart of the console up until about July or August of this year? The same stuff that was rumored to be apart of the Playstation until they saw the Xbox backlash from the rumors of that being the direction Xbox was going.

I've said before and I'll continue to say. I think guys should really take a step back from the rage and overreactions and see what they do with 2K15. It's fine to make it known you aren't happy with the missing stuff, but I think acting like there's some kind of conspiracy going on and 2K is trying to completely change the game for casuals when the gameplay continues to say otherwise is crazy. If 2K15 is more feature cuts and still missing the customization we look for in this game, then I think it's all warranted. It just strikes me as off to be worried about the direction of a franchise based off one game on a new set of systems where the gameplay is even more sim than it's been in years if not ever.
Respectable post, and I definitely agree with the fact that people need need to be understanding with how the under linings of a new digital structure need to be built before all of the extras can be integrated into the project. I also love how the base of this foundation is gameplay, as I view this as a top priority, especially in sports gaming. However, I also think 2K could have dropped a little heads up to it's loyal fan base by stating these things pre launch, instead of letting everyone buy the game, then saying "Oh, by the way, a lot of the interfaces and options have been removed." This could have been properly implemented in a way that would still hype the gameplay and new features way, but also acknowledging the room and will for improvements.

I just feel an honest approach would have been more respectable then just letting everyone find out for themselves. Hey, maybe the did give a heads up, as I am new to the series so never followed up with any of their marketing/pr work, if so then my bad. But i think game developers should really respect and react with their hardcore fans, for better and for worse.Instead of being like a used car dealer, and letting them find out those fog lights are just show, and not actually functional etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #66
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I still think guys are overreacting to ONE year of changes. All this talk about concern about the direction the game is heading off of ONE entry in the series. It's like guys suddenly act like they don't know how console transitions work. We knew this was a unique situation going into this year of sports titles because consoles were dropping this year. We knew 2K was going to be a launch title so everything changed to reflect that. The marketing was going to be different from the norm (although the way that was handled was a little ridiculous) and the game itself was going to go either one of two ways. Either it was going to be a straight port of current gen or they were going to completely switch things up.

Last launch, people questioned/criticized 2K for porting 2K6 and not going with a new engine/new foundation for the series. This time out, they brought a new engine to lay a foundation for the future while still including features, although maybe not all the ones people are used to/want. Lost in all the 'sky is falling' panic attacks are the rationale thoughts of why things happened the way they did. Did it ever occur to anybody that with the engine, meant that completely new code had to be written to incorporate some things and it's possible trying to put something in broke something else so it was left out until it could be done right and without messing up another portion of the game? Did anybody stop and think about the fact that they've been working on this game for one or two years and certain feature decisions were dictated by the hardware they're working on? For example. There's no custom arena music this time around. Why is that? Because of the console not allowing you to even play CDs on them to push their own music service. Perhaps the reason for the cloud, online connected stuff in the game has to do with the Xbox Always Online stuff that was apart of the console up until about July or August of this year? The same stuff that was rumored to be apart of the Playstation until they saw the Xbox backlash from the rumors of that being the direction Xbox was going.

I've said before and I'll continue to say. I think guys should really take a step back from the rage and overreactions and see what they do with 2K15. It's fine to make it known you aren't happy with the missing stuff, but I think acting like there's some kind of conspiracy going on and 2K is trying to completely change the game for casuals when the gameplay continues to say otherwise is crazy. If 2K15 is more feature cuts and still missing the customization we look for in this game, then I think it's all warranted. It just strikes me as off to be worried about the direction of a franchise based off one game on a new set of systems where the gameplay is even more sim than it's been in years if not ever.
Personally, I began noticing the direction change in 2K13. I understand opening games on new consoles are often shells of what they'll turn out to be, but my issues with 2K's direction began well before this launch title. 2K13 was a title that featured Jay-Z as one of its headlining features, for one. Second, the seeds of a shift were planted with the introduction of virtual currency, further removing MyPlayer from realism, corrupting 2KShare files, and withdrawing portions of the offline experience for those who are not connected online.

As such, when 2K14 current gen and 2K14 next gen off court seemed to only build upon the virtual currency contract, LikeMike MyCareer, and even further reduced customization and freedom, it didn't feel as much like a divergence from a path as it did a continuation of what began to occur in 2K13. As a result, I'm close to feeling now how you say we should be feeling if 2K15 continues down this path, if that makes sense.

And to hit the thread topic directly, a lot of the confusion and concern stems from having absolutely no idea what's going on in terms of 2K's ultimate direction. Did we ever stop to think that new code for a new engine meant building from the ground up and being unable to include staple features like local saves and create-a-player? Yes, I'd say many of us have considered that. However, with virtually no input from 2K aside from the vague, "We're working hard and listening" I think many of us also must consider the other side of the coin. As in, maybe everything missing wasn't just about a matter of time and wherewithal. Perhaps 2K is moving toward streamlining a specific online-based experience where nearly everything revolves around connectivity and virtual currency.

In truth, there's been very little truth. There's been a lot of, "You guys are going to love what we're bringing to the table" and "We're really excited about where this thing is going" but we never actually receive a definitive sign regarding where this thing is actually going. A lot of folks insist we not go off hearsay and whatnot, that we let the game speak for itself. And beginning in 2K13 and moving up to next gen 2K14, the off-the-court product of 2K is not speaking well to a lot of people. In the absence of explanation, I trust there will be speculation.

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Personally, I began noticing the direction change in 2K13. I understand opening games on new consoles are often shells of what they'll turn out to be, but my issues with 2K's direction began well before this launch title. 2K13 was a title that featured Jay-Z as one of its headlining features, for one. Second, the seeds of a shift were planted with the introduction of virtual currency, further removing MyPlayer from realism, corrupting 2KShare files, and withdrawing portions of the offline experience for those who are not connected online.

As such, when 2K14 current gen and 2K14 next gen off court seemed to only build upon the virtual currency contract, LikeMike MyCareer, and even further reduced customization and freedom, it didn't feel as much like a divergence from a path as it did a continuation of what began to occur in 2K13. As a result, I'm close to feeling now how you say we should be feeling if 2K15 continues down this path, if that makes sense.

And to hit the thread topic directly, a lot of the confusion and concern stems from having absolutely no idea what's going on in terms of 2K's ultimate direction. Did we ever stop to think that new code for a new engine meant building from the ground up and being unable to include staple features like local saves and create-a-player? Yes, I'd say many of us have considered that. However, with virtually no input from 2K aside from the vague, "We're working hard and listening" I think many of us also must consider the other side of the coin. As in, maybe everything missing wasn't just about a matter of time and wherewithal. Perhaps 2K is moving toward streamlining a specific online-based experience where nearly everything revolves around connectivity and virtual currency.

In truth, there's been very little truth. There's been a lot of, "You guys are going to love what we're bringing to the table" and "We're really excited about where this thing is going" but we never actually receive a definitive sign regarding where this thing is actually going. A lot of folks insist we not go off hearsay and whatnot, that we let the game speak for itself. And beginning in 2K13 and moving up to next gen 2K14, the off-the-court product of 2K is not speaking well to a lot of people. In the absence of explanation, I trust there will be speculation.
PREACH. And to piggy back off of the direction thing, there has been a small portion of the community that has been ignored and frustrated for a while. I know for those of us that played online associations there has been bugs since the mode was introduced that still have not been addressed to this day. In this year's game you couldn't even get to the first off season for the first month of the game being out. Once they let you into the offseason it just simmed through it all and through a large portion of the next year. I know MyPlayer people have complained about that mode being broken. Those concerns have been met with silence. So it's hard for some of us to just take 2K's word or assume that these new modes will be supported and advanced considering how they have treated their game modes in the past.

Gameplay is awesome but without solid modes to back that awesome gameplay the game becomes stale very quickly. All anyone wants is for 2K to address these issues or state what their focus will be instead of everything being shrouded in secrecy. Who ever used the used car example hit the nail on the head. It seems to find out what's been worked on more and more we just have to buy the game and hope they've fixed issues from the previous version.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #68
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

2K will never say anything that can please everybody.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #69
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
It seems to find out what's been worked on more and more we just have to buy the game and hope they've fixed issues from the previous version.
Actually, there is a really cool website that I use. It is www.OperationSports.com. If you go there BEFORE you buy the game, you can get very indepth analysis and details about the game. You can even ask people specifics about the things/issues that are most important to you. It takes a bit of effort and patience, but it can also save you alot of time, frustation and money.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #70
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Here's the thing though, you're questioning their direction based off your personal likes and dislikes. Jay-Z is a huge star, his involvement with the game is a huge deal whether people around here want to admit it or not. That's not some warning sign that 2K is going down the drain because Jay-Z was involved with the project. Especially since majority of people around here don't even give him credit for the one believable thing they credit him with.

As for VC, I can't stand it either, but at some point people are going to have to stop crying about VC when that kind of thing is in virtually every other video game in some kind of way. Pre-Order bonuses, DLC, microtransactions, it's the norm in video games so trying to hold 2K to some standard of sneaky evil and shunning the sim community because of those inclusions is unwarranted as well. This really seems to boil down to a lot of us in the sim community being selfish about 2K and not wanting casual gamers to have anything to do with the series unless they're doing everything exactly how we want it done.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #71
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Here's the thing though, you're questioning their direction based off your personal likes and dislikes. Jay-Z is a huge star, his involvement with the game is a huge deal whether people around here want to admit it or not. That's not some warning sign that 2K is going down the drain because Jay-Z was involved with the project. Especially since majority of people around here don't even give him credit for the one believable thing they credit him with.

As for VC, I can't stand it either, but at some point people are going to have to stop crying about VC when that kind of thing is in virtually every other video game in some kind of way. Pre-Order bonuses, DLC, microtransactions, it's the norm in video games so trying to hold 2K to some standard of sneaky evil and shunning the sim community because of those inclusions is unwarranted as well. This really seems to boil down to a lot of us in the sim community being selfish about 2K and not wanting casual gamers to have anything to do with the series unless they're doing everything exactly how we want it done.
I think that this is not the case here. A lot of us respect that casual gamers can have a great experience with the game, but we want a great experience too as hardcore sim nba2k gamers. The fact that they only seem to satisfy casual gamers is what worries me. And I repeat myself, the gameplay on court is amazing, but the modes are becoming more and more casual
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #72
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
2K will never say anything that can please everybody.
Some of these guys seem like they're asking for a port with pretty graphics.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »