Home

Help This Newbie Win a Game

This is a discussion on Help This Newbie Win a Game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Help This Newbie Win a Game

Okay. Before you guys completely trash me, I am admitting up front that I am a complete newbie when it comes to NBA2K and basketball in general. I have only watched a handful of basketball games in full in my entire life. Having said that, I recognize a great game when I see one so I want to enjoy NBA2K as a casual fan. However, it is probably no surprise to most of you that I completely suck at this game. I am playing on the default difficulty and all the default settings. However, I cannot for the life of me win in this game. I don't know what it is. I've thought maybe it was my defense but then I'm missing easy baskets too (I use the square button because I have never been able to get a handle on the stick).

Basically, I just want to be able to play through a season and compete. I don't even have to be super good, but right now it is ridiculous. I have played probably 15-16 games and I have not won a single one. I'd appreciate any help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Help This Newbie Win a Game

Start of by lowering the difficulty to the easiest. Then i suggest going to youtube and search for Da Czar and watch his strategy videos. He has a few from 2K14 but you can watch 13 or 12 and apply what you learn into 14.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

I would lower the game speed, quickness, and speed. Play that way and you'll be able to process what's happening. Then gradually being the speed up. It might not be as fun at first but you'll learn the defensive rotations, plays, etc.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughtful and considerate replies. My sports are boxing and football and I am normally sim minded, but since I am basketball illiterate (working on that) and a newbie to NBA2K, I cannot even hang.

I adjusted the difficulty to the easiest level last night, and changed the settings to "casual." I'll say it was much better for me and went at an easier pace. I also took one of the best teams (Miami Heat) and played a bad team (Portland). I still only one by 3 but hey I won my first game!

I think my biggest things are 1) I don't know how to play defense at all. I always get the "reach in" foul when I try to steal. I end up just trying to let the CPU run the defense because I seem to let them get to the paint too easily and then I never get rebounds. 2) I still haven't figured out free throws yet nor do I know how to tell when to attempt the alley-oop. I have accomplished it a couple times out of sheer luck.

I am going to go look up Da Czar on Youtube now. Thanks for the advice. There is a lot of NBA2K videos out there and it is hard to know which ones are worth watching and which ones aren't.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Lol first of all Portland is not a bad team, try playing against the Suns instead.

I would definitely recommend getting your bball knowledge in general up though.
Search "BBallBreakdown" on youtube. Coach Nick teaches the game very well and some of it applies to 2K.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »