Home

Ideas for fixing playe roles (without the trolling)

This is a discussion on Ideas for fixing playe roles (without the trolling) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6
Ideas for fixing playe roles (without the trolling)

Seeing as the last thread got deleted due to off topic posts and members attacking other members, I thought this thread would allow us to have a rational discussion with realistic ideas and suggestions to provide Leftos on fixing player roles and creating a more viable alternative.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Ideas for fixing playe roles (without the trolling)

lowering all the players overalls will...the mods need to make their way into the Live forum and clean up the trolling there too. I didn't get to see what was going in the thread since I last visited but I sure didn't see trolling.

Last edited by apollooff320; 11-25-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

I wish the other thread just got cleaned instead of deleted. There were plenty of great ideas in there. I kept notes from most of them, but it would be a great point of reference to go back to at any point. Just my two cents.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

A good idea would be to make the coaches more important. A coach like Popovich who has earned respect can change players roles from starter to sixth man to role player without players getting man. Newer coaches will have a harder time of changing peoples roles.

You should also stop putting the best overall players as starters. JR Smith and Ginboli are meant to come off the bench, but they start in the game. Jamison always starts over Jordan, which is stupid because it makes no sense to have Jordan on bench.

Other ideas is let players with good attitude accept the role change if the team is winning. Then u get like 5 games if ur team is winning then they accept the change if nothing has changed they start.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
I wish the other thread just got cleaned instead of deleted. There were plenty of great ideas in there. I kept notes from most of them, but it would be a great point of reference to go back to at any point. Just my two cents.
Maybe try PM'ing the mod who deleted it and see if he can "undelete" it.

I personally had 2 or 3 long post in there that I spent a lot of time on and it's a shame that they're basically wasted because of a troll.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Maybe try PM'ing the mod who deleted it and see if he can "undelete" it.

I personally had 2 or 3 long post in there that I spent a lot of time on and it's a shame that they're basically wasted because of a troll.
Yeah seriously, if that thread is able to be resurrected for Leftos and our ideas that would be great
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
Yeah, they should of just deleted the off topic post or the last flame post or whatever. Deleting the whole thread was kind of a heavy handed way of doing it.

Anyway, before the other thread got deleted, i wanted to ask again: Why not at least leave the OPTION for turning player roles off? I don't understand why that needed to be removed, it wasn't hurting anything, and it seemed like a good thing to have for a safety net considering how a lot of people were having different problems with player roles. I'm not saying don't try to make the player roles improved, but the OPTION to turn them off isn't something that should leave. More options are always better.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think that the easiest fix would be to keep track of the expected role when signed. For instance, Omar Asik signed expecting to be the starting center, when his role was reduced due to Dwight's signing he has become unhappy. If NBA 2K keep track of the role when signed vs the active role Asik would become unhappy because is role is less than it was expected to be.

Granted this becomes a little more difficult over multiple seasons, ie a rookie getting better than an experience vet, but I think this could be negated by a simple comparison, if player A was signed as a prospect as a 68 overall and player B is starter at a 82 overall. If player A becomes > than 5 points better than player B then player A would become unhappy because he would realize that he is a much better player and should be starting. Player B then depending on his personality could become unhappy because the reduction in role.

This expected role could be a customizable role I the default roster, so I could change Kobe Bryant to bench warmer is I wanted to. Granted this opens it up for abuse, but I believe the players that care about this would not abuse this and the people that do that's fine its their choice.

To go along with this I think a Franchise direction is needed, and depending on the direction would depend on which deals the computer would look at. This would also be customizable in the default roster. Depending on the owner's rating would determine how long they would put up with a rebuilding situation. For instance, you could change the Knicks to be rebuilding but the owner may only allow this direction for less than 2 years, if you go farther than that, you risk losing your job. The direction of the franchise would determine signings and trades, so that a rebuilding team doesn't trade their first round pick unless its for LeBron.

I think a negative value should be assigned to certain players/contracts. Not every player should have a 1 star value in a trade. More players are included in trades because of their contract than anything basketball related. But these filler players are not accounted for in 2K.

Sorry I got off topic from player roles, but all of these points are aimed at making MyGM mode the best it can be.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »