Home

Did We Get Bamboozled?

This is a discussion on Did We Get Bamboozled? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Did We Get Bamboozled?

Called it. Beta version in full effect. People make fun of EA sports and they should but this version of nba 2K seems to be pretty terrible outside of the on court gameplay.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

So glad I didn't get PS4.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

I just want to know will the features we loved from current gen be put into next gen at all...or is this new direction just the way its going to be because I can't find one new feature they added in next gen that I'm happy with besides the graphics.

Since I bought a PS4 on release mainly for this game my system is collecting more dust then playing time with no roster update or gameplay patch released yet. Must say I'm losing a lot of confidence in 2k they use to be my go to game but lately they have become my most frustrating purchase over the last few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I just want to know will the features we loved from current gen be put into next gen at all...or is this new direction just the way its going to be because I can't find one new feature they added in next gen that I'm happy with besides the graphics.

Since I bought a PS4 on release mainly for this game my system is collecting more dust then playing time with no roster update or gameplay patch released yet. Must say I'm losing a lot of confidence in 2k they use to be my go to game but lately they have become my most frustrating purchase over the last few years.
i hope you didn't really spend over 400 bucks for one game
Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
MVP

seanbarkley's Arena

OVR: 27
Did We Get Bamboozled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Prior to release, 2K was promising a full featured, next gen experience. We all know now that they were exaggerating quite a bit.

They failed to mention a few things to us before we all bought the game.

1. No CAP, at all..

2. No saving of rosters to your HDD

3. Once you create a save while being connected to the 2K servers, you HAVE to be connected at all times to use these saves.

4. VC being EVERYWHERE, not just in MyCareer or MyTeam. (Along with prices still being ridiculously high, in some cases even higher than CG)

5. We were promised a groundbreaking experience with MyGM. So far all we got is crazy high VC prices to do anything, the same flaws from CG, and some new gamebreaking bugs riddled through the mode, it's basically unplayable.

6. MyCareer is scripted beyond belief, for the first time in this mode it doesn't even feel like we're controlling our own character, we're just playing out a story. When the game wants your team to lose, or you to have a bad game, you're basically forced to play poorly to further the story. Not what we wanted, not how it should be.

7. Defensive settings removed for POE. We're still not 100% on how these actually work.

These are just a few of the multitude of issues, missing things, game breaking bugs in certain modes, etc. So, my question to you all is, do you feel like 2K played us all when they made the promises they did? Graphics are great, gameplay is good, but I feel like they lied to us when they promised a fully featured next gen title.

Just a few more from a fellow poster:

Only 1 roster save at a time as far as I can tell. I tried to save a second roster and it saved over my first one.
-no playoffs mode
-no multiplayer association
-terrible menu
-editing rosters- player roles edits dont "stick"- revert back to original
-editing sliders- several edits dont "stick"-have to be reset every time you play a quick game
-have to download your roster every time to play a quick game
-no custom roster under NBA Today
-no official roster updates yet- missing players-this is the one thing that will eventually get corrected?
-no options to turn off bad cpu ai for trades/player roles/fa signings
-rotations get reset by cpu in season mode for cpu teams-terrible rotation logic-still broken
Couldn't have said it better man. Seeing the huge amount of things they stripped from previous games and the amount of horrible new ideas they added, it seems impossible that in any patch, or even in next year game they can address all this disaster. This will take 2-3 years at best.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt

I think that's the big question. Are these weird hiccups, like ESPN NBA Basketball 2004, or is this a long term direction change? I hope it's not the latter, but I have a feeling it might be.

The unfortunate part here is there's no longer a viable basketball simulation alternative if 2K really does continue down a lame path in certain regards. If 2K continues pursuing VC, movie storylines, forced online connectivity for offline matters and limited customization, we don't have anywhere else to go - we're just out of luck.

I wonder if this is one of the unintended consequences of NBA Live's downfall. Whereas before 2K was able to hang their hat as the realistic, simulation-based alternative to Live's looser product, now it seems 2K's attempting to wear both hats: simulation and mass appeal (which aren't always one in the same).

But to go back to the direct topic at hand, I think it'd be wise for all to make educated decisions regarding their purchase next year. The hype is going to be there. People in charge at 2K are going to be touting all sorts of new aspects. I can already imagine their platform: "We didn't have the time to include all we wanted last year but now with a full year to focus, we've added everything you've ever wanted. We got back to our off-court simulation roots." And maybe there'll be some truth to such claims, but folks are probably going to want to be a little more cautious about such words.

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-30-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
i hope you didn't really spend over 400 bucks for one game
Naw I was going to buy a PS4 anyway but the reason I got it on release instead of later was to play 2k.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think that's the big question. Are these weird hiccups, like ESPN NBA Basketball 2004, or is this a long term direction change? I hope it's not the latter, but I have a feeling it might be.

The unfortunate part here is there's no longer a viable basketball simulation alternative if 2K really does continue down a lame path in certain regards. If 2K continues pursuing VC, movie storylines, forced online connectivity for offline matters, and limited customization, we don't have anywhere else to go - we're just out of luck.

I wonder if this is one of the unintended consequences of NBA Live's downfall. Whereas 2K was able to hang their hat as the realistic, simulation-based alternative to Live's looser product, now it seems 2K's attempting to wear both hats: simulation and mass appeal (which aren't always one in the same).

But to go back to the direct topic at hand, I think it'd be wise for all to make educated decisions regarding their purchase next year. The hype is going to be there. People in charge at 2K are going to be touting all sorts of new aspects. I can already imagine their platform: "We didn't have the time to include all we wanted last year but now with a full year to focus, we've added everything you've ever wanted. We got back to our off-court simulation roots." And maybe there'll be some truth to such claims, but folks are probably going to want to be a little more cautious about such words.
That's the thing, some of the decisions don't even make sense. Like, what makes forcing us to be connected to them at all time just to play our saves a smart business or creative decision? How does that benefit them? Because it certainly doesn't benefit us.

What's the point of removing being able to play any game in MyGM? What's the point of not being able to at least play co-op in game in MyGM? Why can't we even do that in Season mode? Why can't we control multiple teams in SEASON mode? It's a one year mode, with none of the interactions and we still can only control one team, and not play any other games on the schedule.

What's the point of removing CAP? Once again, how do they benefit financially or creatively from that decision? It's like they purposely left all these things out for no foreseeable reason.

Do they make money from not allowing us to create players? Do they make money from not allowing us to save rosters? To basically do ANYTHING creative? I don't get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »