Home

Did We Get Bamboozled?

This is a discussion on Did We Get Bamboozled? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Did We Get Bamboozled?

Prior to release, 2K was promising a full featured, next gen experience. We all know now that they were exaggerating quite a bit.

They failed to mention a few things to us before we all bought the game.

1. No CAP, at all..

2. No saving of rosters to your HDD

3. Once you create a save while being connected to the 2K servers, you HAVE to be connected at all times to use these saves.

4. VC being EVERYWHERE, not just in MyCareer or MyTeam. (Along with prices still being ridiculously high, in some cases even higher than CG)

5. We were promised a groundbreaking experience with MyGM. So far all we got is crazy high VC prices to do anything, the same flaws from CG, and some new gamebreaking bugs riddled through the mode, it's basically unplayable.

6. MyCareer is scripted beyond belief, for the first time in this mode it doesn't even feel like we're controlling our own character, we're just playing out a story. When the game wants your team to lose, or you to have a bad game, you're basically forced to play poorly to further the story. Not what we wanted, not how it should be.

7. Defensive settings removed for POE. We're still not 100% on how these actually work.

These are just a few of the multitude of issues, missing things, game breaking bugs in certain modes, etc. So, my question to you all is, do you feel like 2K played us all when they made the promises they did? Graphics are great, gameplay is good, but I feel like they lied to us when they promised a fully featured next gen title.

Just a few more from a fellow poster:

Only 1 roster save at a time as far as I can tell. I tried to save a second roster and it saved over my first one.
-no playoffs mode
-no multiplayer association
-terrible menu
-editing rosters- player roles edits dont "stick"- revert back to original
-editing sliders- several edits dont "stick"-have to be reset every time you play a quick game
-have to download your roster every time to play a quick game
-no custom roster under NBA Today
-no official roster updates yet- missing players-this is the one thing that will eventually get corrected?
-no options to turn off bad cpu ai for trades/player roles/fa signings
-rotations get reset by cpu in season mode for cpu teams-terrible rotation logic-still broken

Last edited by Gosens6; 11-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Did We Get Bamboozled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6

2. No saving of rosters to your HDD

3. Once you create a save while being connected to the 2K servers, you HAVE to be connected at all times to use these saves.

These two are a disgrace tbh. I create my own roster... to save it am forced to upload to 2K servers. Then to use it, it must then download it each time (strangely upwards of 2, 3 minutes).

But yeah the other points are true. Good game, but if you played current gen to death as I did, this is just a $60 tech demo.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree but i like the new MyCareer over the same boring game after game
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
I agree but i like the new MyCareer over the same boring game after game
I would like it, but often times the story doesn't even make sense. I had a bad night and need to practice my jumpshooting? I just scored 31 points on 50% shooting from the field, okay coach.

Then, I'm averaging over 20 points a game, and shooting at a high percentage, but my coach isn't happy with my performance? Okay, coach.

Our team HAS to lose this game to further along the corny story, so, my teammates and myself are blowing WIDE open layups, i'm talking wide open. Not once or twice in a game, but several times. Low and behold, a cutscene about how we lost the game blah blah blah, what a fun mode.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I think some of the symptoms were there. I know some grew tired of my skeptical point of view prior to release, and I apologize if I became grating, but I attempted to respectfully convey that I felt my stance was within reason.

As some others have suggested in the past few weeks, I feel there's a divide at 2K between designers who want to make an artistic masterpiece (i.e. chasing the dream of making the best basketball simulation of all-time) and those who want to make 2K the most lucrative business possible. Both stances are understandable, but I feel only one of them is hampering the integrity of the product right now.

As such, with the crazy #OMG social networking hype, vague assurances, and radio silence over very important core questions, I didn't really know what 2K had in store, but I felt a fair amount of uncomfortable surprises were likely. Some aspects of 2K have begun to shift and I noticed this in 2K13. 2K14 only seemed to continue on that path (ex: marketing that felt like, "We're giving you guys exactly what you begged for: a poor man's LikeMike storyline in MyPlayer!")

I was hoping for the best this year but you guys may know from my posts I had a lot of hesitations. 2K has moved from Day One purchase for me to Wait-and-See, and that really bums me out. I wish we could trust marketing's every word about new experiences and fantastic fun and revolution and extraordinary upgrades but again, it's their job to portray that look, so it's not that simple for us anymore.

Last edited by VDusen04; 12-01-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think some of the symptoms were there. I know some grew tired of my skeptical point of view prior to release, but I attempted to respectfully convey that I felt my stance was within reason.

As some others have suggested in the past few weeks, I feel there's a divide at 2K between designers who want to make an artistic masterpiece (i.e. chasing the dream of making the best basketball simulation of all-time) and those who want to make 2K the most lucrative business possible. Both stances are understandable, but I feel only one of them is hampering the integrity of the product right now.

As such, with the crazy #OMG social networking hype, vague assurances, and radio silence over very important core questions, I didn't really know what 2K had in store, but I felt a fair amount of uncomfortable surprises were likely. Some aspects of 2K have begun to shift and I noticed this in 2K13. 2K14 seemed to continue on that path (ex: marketing that felt like, "We're given you guys exactly what you begged for: a poor man's LikeMike storyline in MyPlayer!")

I was hoping for the best this year but you guys may know from my posts I had a lot of hesitations. 2K has moved from Day One purchase for me to Wait-and-See, and that really bums me out. I wish we could trust marketing's every word about new experiences and fantastic fun and revolution and extraordinary upgrades but again, it's their job to portray that look, so it's not that simple for us anymore.
Perfectly said! They've done this the last two years, and the increase of VC throughout the entire game has turned me off tremendously. If you're going to force us to use VC with everything, don't lie to us about what we're buying at least.

Iv'e bought this game faithfully every single year on launch day since NBA 2K. 2K15 might be the first time I hold out a month or so to see what they put out and if it's even worth getting frustrated about. It's sad really, they're becoming everything we don't want them to be.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I would like it, but often times the story doesn't even make sense. I had a bad night and need to practice my jumpshooting? I just scored 31 points on 50% shooting from the field, okay coach.

Then, I'm averaging over 20 points a game, and shooting at a high percentage, but my coach isn't happy with my performance? Okay, coach.

Our team HAS to lose this game to further along the corny story, so, my teammates and myself are blowing WIDE open layups, i'm talking wide open. Not once or twice in a game, but several times. Low and behold, a cutscene about how we lost the game blah blah blah, what a fun mode.
Rumors were they were making a wwe like storyline so doesn't really surprise me when it forces your team to lose
Old 11-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

I was just wondering if anyone had compiled all the issues in 1 thread/post.

IGNORE IF ALREADY LISTED ELSEWHERE

I would like to see all the issues get added to the op if possible, so 2k can see all of them at 1 time, and os guys can find them all-

Maybe guys can start listing here and we can get them all added to op?

-Only 1 roster save at a time as far as I can tell. I tried to save a second roster and it saved over my first one.
-no playoffs mode
-no multiplayer association/no 30 teamcontrol
-terrible menu
-editing rosters- player roles edits dont "stick"- revert back to original
-editing sliders- several edits dont "stick"-have to be reset every time you play a quick game
-have to download your roster every time to play a quick game
-no custom roster under NBA Today
-no official roster updates yet- missing players-this is the one thing that will eventually get corrected?
-no options to turn off bad cpu ai for trades/player roles/fa signings
-rotations get reset by cpu in season mode for cpu teams-terrible rotation logic-still broken

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »