Home

consequences for reckless driving into the paint?

This is a discussion on consequences for reckless driving into the paint? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: consequences for reckless driving into the paint?

Yeah I played my brother in two games last night and once he found out the first game how he could bowl his way in the paint to get fouls and lay ups off he kept doing it. It ruined the experience for me luckily I still won but he stopped looking for holes in my defense to score. Travelling , charging, even offensive fouls where the ball handler would push off with non dribbling arm should be called. And yes the floater needs a new overhaul. They need to watch basketball games. The backboard isn't used right in the game. Most smaller guards use the floater and the high part of the backboard to get shots over the bigger defenders.

(Galaxy S4)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslimm
Yeah I played my brother in two games last night and once he found out the first game how he could bowl his way in the paint to get fouls and lay ups off he kept doing it. It ruined the experience for me luckily I still won but he stopped looking for holes in my defense to score. Travelling , charging, even offensive fouls where the ball handler would push off with non dribbling arm should be called. And yes the floater needs a new overhaul. They need to watch basketball games. The backboard isn't used right in the game. Most smaller guards use the floater and the high part of the backboard to get shots over the bigger defenders.

(Galaxy S4)
The ball, rim and backboard physics are all off, and that rolls over into the rebound timing inconsistencies, but that's a totally different topic.

The awareness and the sig skills of a player driving into the lane should be a HUGE factor. It should decide ( if they're 6'4 and under) whether they go high off the glass, (6'5 and over) they use their body to absorb contact, or change their shot altogether to avoid shotblockers.

As of now all it takes is a decent layup rating, speed and quickness to barrel into traffic.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

There are little consequences for reckless driving into the paint. The game doesn't recognize good possessions versus a bad possession or forcing the ball. It either recognizes, contact, no contact foul, yes, or no. So the defense is left to block. Sometimes you can just have two guys there and just stand there and the player will get the call. What can they do?
  • I think they need contested layup ratings to bring some realism in the paint. Basically we all know who can do the euro's hop steps etc. However the success rates when they are done needs to be kept in check. Success rates are way too high and when you add in some sig skills and it gets worse. Basically use data that shows what % players shoot when contested on layups and give players a contested layup rating. I know STATS have this for restricted area.
  • I agree about the layup types basically we need more layup packages or more high trajectory layups when contested. Again these may not go in at a high rate but they are not slow and likely to get blocked either. In 2K11 when you drove into heavy contested traffic your player would sometimes go to a double clutch animation. Now we are in control of that animation but I can see it is not needed often.
  • They need to motion capture more "out of control" type layups basically forced layups contact layups that have a lower success chance and less likely to get a bail out foul call
  • Give a rating for paint contest so that the defense has a STATS based data to effect shots. Basically the higher the paint contest rating the more you effect the layup if you are in position.
  • Make the CPU teammate or AI behave smart: example if I am playing on ball defense and the drive is coming just make the other teammate form a wall with hands up or out to block passing lanes and force a charge block situation. Stop sliding players around for a bad layup decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
There are little consequences for reckless driving into the paint. The game doesn't recognize good possessions versus a bad possession or forcing the ball. It either recognizes, contact, no contact foul, yes, or no. So the defense is left to block. Sometimes you can just have two guys there and just stand there and the player will get the call. What can they do?
  • I think they need contested layup ratings to bring some realism in the paint. Basically we all know who can do the euro's hop steps etc. However the success rates when they are done needs to be kept in check. Success rates are way too high and when you add in some sig skills and it gets worse. Basically use data that shows what % players shoot when contested on layups and give players a contested layup rating. I know STATS have this for restricted area.
  • I agree about the layup types basically we need more layup packages or more high trajectory layups when contested. Again these may not go in at a high rate but they are not slow and likely to get blocked either. In 2K11 when you drove into heavy contested traffic your player would sometimes go to a double clutch animation. Now we are in control of that animation but I can see it is not needed often.
  • They need to motion capture more "out of control" type layups basically forced layups contact layups that have a lower success chance and less likely to get a bail out foul call
  • Give a rating for paint contest so that the defense has a STATS based data to effect shots. Basically the higher the paint contest rating the more you effect the layup if you are in position.
  • Make the CPU teammate or AI behave smart: example if I am playing on ball defense and the drive is coming just make the other teammate form a wall with hands up or out to block passing lanes and force a charge block situation. Stop sliding players around for a bad layup decision.
I had an identical idea. great minds...

What i think they need to do is apply a grading system to the layups like they do to jump shots to determine the quality of lay-up they get. A F- quality layup ( judged on your sig skills, ratings and off awareness) gets you anything from a travel, charge to one of those off balance layups or short range shots.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatingkitchen
Meanwhile if you try to do a floater, it gets blocked like 9/10 times
The CPU throws up a floater anytime the shot clock runs down and makes it...with the foul.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
I had an identical idea. great minds...

What i think they need to do is apply a grading system to the layups like they do to jump shots to determine the quality of lay-up they get. A F- quality layup ( judged on your sig skills, ratings and off awareness) gets you anything from a travel, charge to one of those off balance layups or short range shots.

Yeah I know they are already working on 2K15 already so I hope they are reading this. I think that would work as long as it a separate rating. I feel like this if I have a layup rating of 98 that doesn't mean I should be able to just drive without consequences. It should be the same for user and CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »