Home

Clark Kellogg

This is a discussion on Clark Kellogg within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Clark Kellogg

The complaints here definitely sound like us forgetting how good we have it just because we've been long term fans and the commentary is getting a but familiar. It's still some of the best in the business and Kerr makes the while thing sound very authentic.

Look at the other game for what could go wrong with a change for change's sake even using some of the guys people think they want.

I do notice that in next gen they've added little comments on actual plays like screens and passes. We could use more of that and more depth, and definitely more involved commentary and emotion in pivotal parts of the game. Harlan could get even more amped for big shots like he does in real life. I'd like to see them put a lot of work on the endgame drama.

But the comments just straight out panning one of the strongest aspects of the game just because folks are too familiar with it seem silly to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadez8_6
Kenny was only good for the Slam Dunk contests. I guess if i had to choose replacements, i'd keep Harlan. Trade Kerr & Kellog for Reggie Miller and Chris Webber.
No way. Kerr makes the game sound alive. Him over Miller anyway. Miller's not even that interesting in real broadcasts. I'd like Webber for Kellogg though, even though I'm fine with Kellogg.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 6

My ideal wish for commentary in 2K would be to have rotating commentators so we're not hearing the same three people all the time.

Maybe try to sign Reggie Miller on and have Kenny Smith come back and do some work for a few games.

And since we know it's possible on next gen to have half-time interviews, it would be cool if they could go all out and have a half-time show in the style of Inside The NBA; mainly showing highlights with voiceovers of the TNT crew discussing the same things as Damon Bruce (but removing Damon Bruce at the half and adding him to the end-game recap).
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
It WOULD be cool if they used him for games on certain days for example if it's a "local" game there would only be 2 commentators and it could be kellog and someone else.

I would really prefer & want Reggie Miller or Kenny Smith/EJ/Barkley/Shaq halftime show as that would complete the TNT immersion but if they can't get the Old School Pacers doubt they'll get him to do VO. I could see EJ & Kenny Smith lending VO's.

Have Kenny as the 3rd commentator and have EJ do the halftime show.
For "local" flavor, they should really get Bob Fitzgerald and Jim Barnett, the Warriors' announcers. Both are local to 2K (just as Damon Bruce is) and it would be easy to get them in studio. They're also considered one of the best local broadcast teams by Simmons and Lowe in their Watchability ratings.

Bob Fitzgerald has already done announcer work as Bob Steel for one of the NFL2K games, so he'd fit right back in. His commentary in real life is also pretty predictable -- he'll pretty much look at the biggest stat category difference most games and pronounce "THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE IN THE GAME!" like a major revelation, so programming his commentary to sound authentic would be pretty easy.

Most people are impressed with Barnett even if they aren't Warriors fans-- he's very knowledgeable and doesn't sound like a complete homer. He sounds a *little* bit more old school (he loves to say "what a nice, nice young man") but that would be a good change of pace from the current "national" sounding group. I wonder if he's not "hip" enough for the social media crowd 2K might want to appeal to but for authentic basketball fans, he's great. He's also retiring after this year so he should have a bit more free time.

They can also go with Tom Tolbert over Barnett, who's also pretty entertaining and will likely take over Barnett's spot next year.

In terms of TNT guys, I think EJ would do a good job with the sort of delivery Damon Bruce gives for the halftime show, who I think is already very good. Barkley and Shaq will get old quick as they pretty much just mumble inanities and most of the fun is not knowing what (dumb thing) they'll say next and playing off each other. These guys aren't going to be nearly as much fun reading from a script, and you'll get the uninspired delivery that Jalen Rose gave for Live. Off the cuff guys just don't work that well in a video game and will get stale faster than anyone else. If 2K gets the TNT license and wants authenticity by including them for flavor, fine, but no way should the halftime commentary be built around Shaq and Barkley.

I find Reggie Miller boring but C-Webb would be great both as a second analyst for the halftime show or the third color guy next to Harlan and Kerr. Kenny would be okay next to someone like EJ. Anyway, you need guys that sound good giving soundbites no matter what the context. That's why the current team works so well. The stories and tidbits never really sound out of place while they fill up dead air.

Either way, getting Miller and Webber does have one major benefit-- it means we'll probably get them in game, and they get to make comments about themselves. Who would turn down an opportunity like that?

Last edited by Sundown; 12-03-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
And since we know it's possible on next gen to have half-time interviews, it would be cool if they could go all out and have a half-time show in the style of Inside The NBA; mainly showing highlights with voiceovers of the TNT crew discussing the same things as Damon Bruce (but removing Damon Bruce at the half and adding him to the end-game recap).
An end game recap would be great. That's really what's been missing in 2K, just relishing the game and victory (or loss). It's a shame the gamereel's been removed as well as the photo package the last few years, and now the POTG is broken for longer games.

Would love to have an analyst take us home and talk about the team play, the game flow, the POTG, break down the game's end, and any fourth quarter and last second heroics.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Problem with the current team is that they're more interested in making wisecracks (Kellogg especially) instead of commentating on the game. Outside of dunks and alley-oops the actual game-focused commentary is poor. When you're in the final few seconds, you don't actually get the sense that they're at a game that is going to the wire. I wouldn't mind a second commentary team. FIFA's had that for a few years now. Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello is a pretty good pairing. Eagle is great at commentating on great plays, loved hearing him when VC was on the Nets. I'm just more interested in hearing commentary about the actual game. The most in-depth these guys seem to go is saying, "Oh that was a nice pick", nothing about defense, nothing about how that was a nice play. It's completely forgettable.
this. the commentary is seamless which is great but they very rarely talk about whats happening on the floor which is not realistic. obviously its not easy to do since the oncourt action is constantly changing but i would much rather hear more about whats happening in the game than what lebron did in the offseason...every single game. it especially hurts in association/mygm because you play with the same team every game so you hear the same stories every game. i play with the cavs and i still hear about lebron leaving almost every game i play. seamless is great but they need to work on the focus of the commentary now.

to the original topic i agree. i have never really liked clark kelloggs commentary in this game. kevin harlan is a great commentator but to me kellogg is like rex (i think it was him) from mlb the show. he really detracts from the experience.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Just wondering have you ever seen MLB the show's commentary? i love the game but the commentators always focused on the game only , so much silence , didn't feel like they were even in the same game , lines completely off and i could ramble on about that hopefully its improved in MLB 14

My point is you need a Kellogg that will make jokes and tell stories even if its off topic or dates back to something in NBA history so it doesn't get boring and cause a lot of silence

Look at NBA live's commentary that says enough
mlb the shows commentary is astounding when it comes to the play by play but their color commentary is bad. nba 2ks color commentary is seamless but their play by play is bad. they both just need to find a balance. for example ill get fouled then for no reason one of the commentators decides to look at the top rebounders from last year. it just doesnt fit with whats happening on the floor ant takes away from the overall game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Clark is one of the commentators for a local station in Indianapolis. He only does Pacers games.

I don't mind him really.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Actually, Clark stopped doing Pacers games a year or two ago.

Pacers. Dolphins. Buckeyes.
Reds

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »