Home

Knowing What We Know Now: Port vs Rebuild

This is a discussion on Knowing What We Know Now: Port vs Rebuild within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you have rathered a port vs the Next-Gen product?
Yes, the CG version was the full package 21 29.58%
No, this is fantastic framework for a bigger goal. 50 70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Knowing What We Know Now: Port vs Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
Are we so instant gratification minded?
I assume u only play quick games cause every other mode is broken n unplayable
Old 12-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

The thing is it's kinda half and half, the core gameplay engine was heavily tweaked, but not completely rebuilt. The features were stripped apart.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
People are losing sight of the big picture for sure. The most important part of the game, the on-court gameplay, is the best part of it. It was right for them to get this right first, and then expand upon everything else in the next few years. I don't know what people expect - the development time for the game is less than one year. Would we all have preferred they skip this year since they're working with new tech now? I know I wouldn't have preferred that.
The on court gameplay is the best part of the game, HOWEVER, they STILL have some of the same issues that have been plauging the gameplay for years. Rebounding issues(players jumping too slow,stiff rebounding animations), bad passing(players cutting behind their man as soon as the ball is thrown, directional passing not working and passing to a completely different player at times), players not reacting well to loose balls, bad AI(teammates sag off for no reason, just do stupid things) and their are a newer issues like delay/lag in the controls on rebounding and blocking. They improved on some gameplay aspects such as layups and game feel no doubt, but it's a bit disappointing that with all the things cut out of next gen, this issues weren't fixed, or improved.

I can't help but feel that they gambled(and came up short) on putting a buch of resources into the my career story mode, they took a lot of time to write out a script(a cheesy one) and focus on that it seems like. Plus getting voice actors. It's a shame.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Banned

RogerBlack's Arena

Knowing What We Know Now: Port vs Rebuild

OP, maybe you need to add a 3rd option to your poll that contains a mashup of the other 2 choices.
And see what the responses are.

Something like this...

Port vs Rebuild? I wanted BOTH. (sort of)

Personally, I expected a PORT of the current-gen 2K14 game modes..... PLUS the new EcoMotion engine & the improved 'on-the-court' gameplay.... in ONE single game... as a starting point for next-gen.

That's all.
That's worth $60 friggin bucks, imo.

Everything else they built is a smokescreen for a blatant 'cash grab' to gouge gamers.

If 2k had ported the current gen 2k14 modes, plus included the new EcoMotion engine, you would have never made this thread in the first place, and we would not feel (collectively) bamboozled.

People would not be having the same conversations they are having today. And the tone would be different.

Just saying.

MyGM and MyCareer modes or any improvements to the Association mode could have waited until 2k15, honestly.

If they are transitioning to NEW, more powerful console platforms, I kinda expected...
  • Get the core game elements right, FIRST. (i.e. Build on your successful foundation.)
  • Keep your hardcore fans happy & loyal. (Because these are your unofficial 'Ambassadors' who will champion your 2K brand & products EVERYWHERE, without hesitation.)
  • Try to fix as many 'existing bugs' as possible, that have plagued the game for YEARS. (Goes without saying)
  • Then add any 'experimental' stuff that enhances the game at a later date. (i.e. like shoe-creators, locker room codes, additional RPG-based modes that rely on VC to 'level-up', dressing rooms, parks, blacktops, or any side missions that occur 'off-the-NBA-court', or any other ideas that 'adds value' to the overall package)

Instead it feels like 2K executed everything in REVERSE this year....
  • Start with all the 'experimental' stuff. (i.e. Get rid of the core functionality... in favor of RPG-based modes that rely on VC to 'level-up')
  • P*ss-off your hardcore fans. (They have grown 'too old' by now to play NBA video games anyway, so look for a new audience that's MORE interested in first-person shooters, than sports)
  • Chase the highly fickle 'casual gamer' demographic, just to make a buck. (Add VC everywhere)
  • And if it all goes South... bring back the core elements next year. (i.e. Go back to basics)

(OP, please don't take this personal. Not directed at you. Just venting)

Last edited by RogerBlack; 12-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Georges
I assume u only play quick games cause every other mode is broken n unplayable
I play my GM 90% of the time. It's just as broken as current gen IMO and I played that every year. And even if I thought it was unplayable...I
My opinion wouldn't change at all. Now if the game isn't improved next year we can talk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Rookie

Next Gen w/o a question. Although IMO next gen is superior, there are still legacy issues (passing, rebounding) remaining in game. I for 1 would like for 2k to get rid of the momentum system, and bring back online lobbies. They can also invest in better servers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »