Home

Updated Poll on How Much Money Has Been Spent On VC

This is a discussion on Updated Poll on How Much Money Has Been Spent On VC within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Much Extra Money Spent?
$0 89 67.94%
$1-$10 15 11.45%
$11-$20 9 6.87%
$21-$30 8 6.11%
$31+ 10 7.63%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Updated Poll on How Much Money Has Been Spent On VC

You guys do realize that 2K still gets that money that Sony "gave" you when you bought a 400 dollar device, right?

Anyway, I was listening to the co-optional podcast, and a guest on the show SmoothMcGroove had a fascinating insight on who is paying for the microtransactions that he learned while playing Diablo 2, before microtransactions were really a thing. You can check out it with this link, I timestamped the time when he talks about it. Essentially most people who are spending the money are older who don't have much time to play the game, but still want to have the best stuff and are willing to open their wallets to do so.

2K is really trying to screw us out of VC. Whenever there's a way to get more VC than they anticipated, those things get fixed and patched immediately. Meanwhile in next-gen we're still not getting the full VC after each MyCareer game and have to do all sorts of crazy nonsense to get it. And the rewards for playing are worse and worse every year, while more and more stuff seems to take VC. Add to all the problems that MyCareer and MyGM has simply because you can't make a backup save. Many save games get corrupted or broken and people have to start again. They really seem intentional on trying to screw us over.

Meanwhile, my player is under 70 overall, default outfit and shoes and I can still do well on hof/sim and the park. It's an inferior experience to just buying power of course, but I'm not going to condone these kind of business practices. I wish more people thought about what it means for the overall game in the long haul when they buy stuff. When you buy 60 dollars worth of VC, you're not only helping yourself, you're hurting everyone else who won't participate in buying stuff. You're now a more important player to the developers because you've spent twice the amount the average person has on the game. You're telling the devs to keep adding microtransactions to the game. You will buy that stuff. Even if people who didn't buy the game next year because of microtransactions, chances are the devs are still making more money because you're giving it to them for what used to be cheat codes.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

Y'all keep fighting the good fight, but micro-transactions in gaming won't be stopped.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
Essentially most people who are spending the money are older who don't have much time to play the game, but still want to have the best stuff and are willing to open their wallets to do so.
So old, lazy people who don't want to play the game are making the game difficult to play and unrewarding for everyone else. LAME.

Full disclosure: I'm old and lazy.

I'm okay with REASONABLE microtransactions for accessories and cosmetic items. I might even be persuaded to buy some myself. I'm even okay with the option to pay cash for early unlocks that provide variety, might give a slight edge, but don't automatically lead to dominance like BF4.

But when microtransactions really screw with and completely allow you to bypass game balance is when they ruin games.

Last edited by Sundown; 12-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
Y'all keep fighting the good fight, but micro-transactions in gaming won't be stopped.
You're probably the same type of person that said the same thing about online game passes, pay-to-win PC games, and the Xbox One's initial features.

It'll work till a point where people get frustrated and turn on the producer, just like all of the other things I listed. I don't know about you, but I'm seeing more and more people get to that point.

2K's no longer a day one buy for me, and next year I'm waiting a month and finding out all the VC prices/restrictive features before spending a cent on the game. If it's not to my liking I'm buying Live, or no basketball game at all.

If anyone else doesn't like the way 2K is treating you, I'd advise you to do the same. They aren't going to listen to your complaints about the game since they already have your money. They will when you stop putting money in their pockets.

Remember, it wasn't so long ago that Live was the unstoppable juggernaut and 2K was the weakling that worked their asses off to satisfy customers enough to cut into Live's market share. 2K's turned into that juggernaut now and think they can screw the customers, but as Live has shown us, no "juggernaut" is unbreakable.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
MVP

seanbarkley's Arena

OVR: 27

zero point zero. The last time I spent extra money was when they released the All Star DLC. That's to say, a legit DLC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Rookie

rickypro's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csquared
I've bought about 60$ worth for myplayer and MYTEAM (flame suit on)
No flame suit needed as far as I am concerned. I am right there with you. There is a reason that VC is there. People buy enough of it that they make money off of it. To each his own. If you don't want to but it then don't. I respect that.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

$0 i will never support this model of gaming. i believe a game with this much dependency within its factitious economic structure, should not charge an initial cost that equals games with the same or even more amounts of content, and does so without pushing its players against the wall.

"Pay us your lunch money, or grind it out." I dont understand how they can suddenly force players into this structure. Can you imagine if the rest of the world worked like this? You go to buy next years car model, same price as last years was when new, but if you want the air conditioning to work, that will be extra or you can spend the time pulling the engine and getting to the on/off switch yourself. Highbeams? No problem, pay us some money or you can spend the time opening up your grill and unlock it yourself.

This just reeks of greed over customer satisfaction. Since I am new to this series, 2k14 being my first installment, I don't want to have to leave it already because of a conflict with company and personal principles, but I will if left no choice. I will be watching closely now before purchasing 2k15.

I already gave up hockey because I find ea's tactics unethical, I will do the same with 2k, as I am a gamer, I will always have other options, and basketball is pretty cheap, some kicks and a rock and I'm good all summer.....
Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
You guys do realize that 2K still gets that money that Sony "gave" you when you bought a 400 dollar device, right?
Exactly. Thats why I spent my $10 as a discount toward BF4 lol.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »