Home

Why Point of Emphasis Needs To Go

This is a discussion on Why Point of Emphasis Needs To Go within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Exclamation Why Point of Emphasis Needs To Go

I've noticed that when many on this site complain about the lack of individual defensive assignments they are told how much smarter the AI is and how it is all tendency based and players make the appropriate reads.

My issue with that is that most 2k owners aren't just gamers, we are basketball fans first. I buy 2k because I wish I could be apart of my teams decision making processes.

In 2k14 I am told the computer accurately decides how to lock down the paint or how to "key in on LeBron". My issue is who the hell made the computers decision the end all be all.

Coach Thibs is arguably the greatest defensive mind in all of basketball and he defended LeBron by playing up into his jersey and having help ready to rotate as seen below.

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/site...YPE=image/jpeg

http://www.theattictv.com/uploads/1/...94768_orig.jpg

Coach Pop however is regarded as one of the best overall coaches to have ever picked up a clip board and he defended LeBron by playing off him and daring him to shoot as seen below.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-co...2.10.14-PM.png

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/27...2.31.15_AM.png

If two of the greatest basketball minds on the planet can come to complete different philosophies who is 2k to tell me what the "appropriate" option is. Stop being lazy and give us back our freedom because no algorithm should decide how I want to do things.

Last edited by Kamikaze1201; 12-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why Point of Emphasis Needs To Go

Not to mention that POE doesn't even work remotely close to what you've selected. Most notably, "Pressure Shooters" or whatever it is called continuously leaves people WIDE open all game. Frustrating.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
Not to mention that POE doesn't even work remotely close to what you've selected. Most notably, "Pressure Shooters" or whatever it is called continuously leaves people WIDE open all game. Frustrating.
"Lemit Perimeter Shots" seemingly makes your defenders hedge hard on pick and rolls so while it might make it harder for the ball handler to get his 3 point shot off it causes rotations that end up leaving other shooters open most often in the corner.So you take away Curry's pick and roll 3 and give up a wide open shot to Klay or Andre in the corner.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

They are broken, especially since we have no idea what they do for sure. Pressure Shooters isn't really pressuring the shooters. Your perimeter help just double anyone that drives, instead of punching and recovering. Thats basic basketball. If I'm guarding Kyle Korver on the wing, and my teammate gets beat off the dribble coming toward me, I'm gonna show for a second then recover. Why would I leave a deadly shooter wide open to double a man going to the basket? Makes no sense. Thats what your big men are there for. And we can't change it because of the lack of individual defensive settings.

If we are gonna be stuck with POEs for the long run, I think defensive rotations are gonna need a complete overhaul by someone that actually knows how defense works. But until then, give the knowledgeable basketball players our defensive settings back.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

It doesn't need to go but we need to be able to set individual defense like we've always been able to. And btw I don't trust the AI for anything in this game. The less the AI decides for me, the better I'am.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Great post and very solid point. I look at it like this. There is no actual literal artificial intelligence. AI is just organic carbon based intelligence stored in a digital format.

Replacing custom defense with simplistic/generic albeit somewhat improved settings was not a high basketball IQ design decision. Thus it resulted in less versatile and ultimately worse AI.

A high basketball IQ design would recognize that NBA teams all use multiple custom packages in gameplan's for each offense. That would have improved the AI and allowed people to make more detailed decisions about how they want their players to play.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

[quote=Kamikaze1201;2045739457]I've noticed that when many on this site complain about the lack of individual defensive assignments they are told how much smarter the AI is and how it is all tendency based and players make the appropriate reads.

My issue with that is that most 2k owners aren't just gamers, we are basketball fans first. I buy 2k because I wish I could be apart of my teams decision making processes.

In 2k14 I am told the computer accurately decides how to lock down the paint or how to "key in on LeBron". My issue is who the hell made the computers decision the end all be all.

Coach Thibs is arguably the greatest defensive mind in all of basketball and he defended LeBron by playing up into his jersey and haviung help ready to rotate as seen below.

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/site...YPE=image/jpeg

Great post, but, I believe 2K broke the settings for defensive settings w/the very 1st patch. Because the defensive settings are there plus POE straight out of the box...I actually believe the game played the best before the patches. URL]

Coach Pop however is regarded as one of the best overall coaches to have ever picked up a clip board and he defended LeBron by playing off him and daring him to shoot as seen below.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-co...2.10.14-PM.png

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/27...2.31.15_AM.png

If two of the greatest basketball minds on the planet can come to complete different philosophies who is 2k to tell me what the "appropriate" option is. Stop being lazy and give us back our freedom because no algorithm should decide how I want to do things.[/QUOTE

Great post, but, I believe 2K broke the settings for defensive settings w/the very 1st patch. Because the defensive settings are there plus POE straight out of the box...I actually believe the game played the best before the patches. URL]
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Yeah, and whilst they bring defensive settings back (wich they MUST), they should also bring Dual Player Control back as well. The AI isn't smart enough to recognise the mismatch all the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »