Home

NBA 2K14 is the #1 Selling Sports Title on Next-Gen Consoles, 4th Overall

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 is the #1 Selling Sports Title on Next-Gen Consoles, 4th Overall within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K14 is the #1 Selling Sports Title on Next-Gen Consoles, 4th Overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but imo it's debateable that it's "2K's most faithful" fans that are disillusioned. Many people here are hardcore purist basketball fans - not necessarily hardcore purist NBA2K fans. These people don't care who provides them with the basketball game they want, only that someone gives it to them. They're only as faithful as their options allow. A faithful fan here is deemed a fanboy, which many people here aren't.

There are very few here that wouldn't jump ship to NBA Live IF it were as good or better. And because it isn't, all their anger is directed at 2K. Many people buy Madden not because they're Madden fans, but because they're NFL fans. And Madden has NFL exclusivity. That isn't the case with NBA2K; they're simply way better than any other NBA option out there. So much so there are still people here that foolishly try to insinuate that 2K has a monopoly.

The whole VC-issue aside I don't have a problem with 2K trumpeting a sales triumph given the games are starting off on equal footing. Why not try to combat some of the negativity/overreactions going on in the forums with something positive? If anything they show their superiority over a competitor (Live), as well as maybe bring some attention to the NFL exclusivity situation. Since the NFL is by far the most popular sport here in the U.S. there should be no way a NBA game is outselling a NFL game.
I agree with everything until the last line basketball is a much bigger sport then the NFL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but imo it's debateable that it's "2K's most faithful" fans that are disillusioned. Many people here are hardcore purist basketball fans - not necessarily hardcore purist NBA2K fans. These people don't care who provides them with the basketball game they want, only that someone gives it to them. They're only as faithful as their options allow. A faithful fan here is deemed a fanboy, which many people here aren't.
Hmm, I don't know. I feel like I'd consider myself a pretty faithful fan here, or at least formerly so. 2K was a no-doubt, day one purchase for me every year since 2K3. Does faithful fan really have to be someone who'd always buy 2K no matter how bad it became?

I feel like a faithful fan can be a lot of things, including a mix of both examples you mentioned. I love basketball and 2K provided for years, in my opinion, a product that chased realism in a manner I so desired. As such, I supported and bought their product faithfully every year. But as things changed, just as you said, I began to lose faith and decided I might not want to spend my own money on their product.

I've bought 2K religiously on release day for the past decade. I feel as though I could register as a faithful follower. But I am now relatively disillusioned, no?

Quote:
There are very few here that wouldn't jump ship to NBA Live IF it were as good or better. And because it isn't, all their anger is directed at 2K. Many people buy Madden not because they're Madden fans, but because they're NFL fans. And Madden has NFL exclusivity. That isn't the case with NBA2K; they're simply way better than any other NBA option out there. So much so there are still people here that foolishly try to insinuate that 2K has a monopoly.
I am bummed because the type of product I've historically supported with a yearly purchase, seems to be altering its approach dramatically. I do not compare it to other sports games, because I do not buy other sports games. I compare it to what I want and once again, for one of the first times in 2K history, I find their new direction highly undesirable in many regards. The only difference now is instead of having one NBA basketball video game I really want to buy, I now have zero NBA games I want to buy.

Last edited by VDusen04; 12-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
I agree with everything until the last line basketball is a much bigger sport then the NFL
Basketball it's more of a worldwide sport, while football is most liked by Americans. Heck even baseball is more global than football.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #44
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by javicd21
Basketball it's more of a worldwide sport, while football is most liked by Americans. Heck even baseball is more global than football.
Exactly so i mean why are people saying Madden should sell more or are surprised when 2k does?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
The whole VC-issue aside I don't have a problem with 2K trumpeting a sales triumph given the games are starting off on equal footing. Why not try to combat some of the negativity/overreactions going on in the forums with something positive? If anything they show their superiority over a competitor (Live), as well as maybe bring some attention to the NFL exclusivity situation. Since the NFL is by far the most popular sport here in the U.S. there should be no way a NBA game is outselling a NFL game.
Quote:
"Earlier this year we promised that NBA 2K14 would be our biggest and best NBA 2K experience yet, and today we’re thrilled to see fans agree, as NBA 2K14 is now the #1 selling sports game on next-gen consoles,” said Jason Argent, SVP of Basketball Operations for 2K.

they really didn't need to say this though, it's like a slap in the face to most of OS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Exactly so i mean why are people saying Madden should sell more or are surprised when 2k does?
Because NPD only tracks North American retail sales, and the NFL is far more popular than the NBA in North America.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
they really didn't need to say this though, it's like a slap in the face to most of OS.
This is how I feel about it. Most people here don't agree at all; we bought the game based on reviews, reputation or early purchaser's comments, and what we get is a bare-bones game where each game mode is critically broken in some important way. If you can keep your game from crashing, you have to deal with all kinds of ridiculousness still in one way or another. A major slap in the face.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #48
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
IMO its the only sports game that is Next Gen. Madden is mediocre at best and is just a slight upgrade over current gen but does not play or look next gen. I've played the Fifa demo multiple times and again it feels like a slight upgrade over current gen, mainly more in the visuals department but again did not feel like something amazing.

If you were on the fence about whether to buy a Next Gen system and you tried out Madden & Fifa you'd walk away thinking, "eh, slightly better than current gen" and you probably wouldn't feel like upgrading your system is really necessary. I'd agree. But if you tried out NBA 2k you'd be hooked and would need a Next Gen system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »