Home

Could someone shine some light on at least one of these things? I'm really confused.

This is a discussion on Could someone shine some light on at least one of these things? I'm really confused. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Could someone shine some light on at least one of these things? I'm really confus

I have no problem with the CPUs defense or lead passes. It went from horrible to NBAish. That is progress in my book. You can still get lead passes you just have to have them beat by more.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Could someone shine some light on at least one of these things? I'm really confus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
I have no problem with the CPUs defense or lead passes. It went from horrible to NBAish. That is progress in my book. You can still get lead passes you just have to have them beat by more.
I have no probs with nerfing the lead passing aswell.

But in terms of passing, they dont give us a heap of options.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
With passing, reduce the CPU's 'hands' attribute and 'play passing lanes' tendency.

But yeah, passing has been horrendous in 2K. Its like throwing balls of fluff around
It's funny when a pass gets deflected and goes back court. The ball floats down at about 2mph and you could write a novel in the time it takes for the players to catch up to it, interesting considering how SLOW the ball is. It seems game speed does not affect the ball speed, I have it set to 60 and the ball is still stupidly slow, there's no way to run an offense that has a lot of passing. Either a floaty pass will get intercepted or the CPU will 1.) run the wrong way the moment you pass them the ball, or 2.) end up taking a few steps too far beyond the arc or their shooting range, especially problematic for players with lower ball handling ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't have a problem lead passing at all. I don't really have issues passing in general. Whenever I throw a bad pass and turn it over its usually 99% my fault.

Are you cutting your teammates to the hoop when trying to lead them or passing to them while they're driving/move?

I like how the game makes you use the bounce pass. Sometimes I know a normal pass won't make it through so I bounce it through two defenders for an assist. I'm getting 18+ assists a game and leading the league on Superstar difficulty. I play 12 minute quarters though.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #13
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
It's funny when a pass gets deflected and goes back court. The ball floats down at about 2mph and you could write a novel in the time it takes for the players to catch up to it, interesting considering how SLOW the ball is. It seems game speed does not affect the ball speed, I have it set to 60 and the ball is still stupidly slow, there's no way to run an offense that has a lot of passing. Either a floaty pass will get intercepted or the CPU will 1.) run the wrong way the moment you pass them the ball, or 2.) end up taking a few steps too far beyond the arc or their shooting range, especially problematic for players with lower ball handling ratings.
Yep you're right.

I said a while ago that passing is the next big thing they need to sort.

Ball movement has always been poor in 2K; the defensive bump animations and poor passing was the reason. Through sliders Ive reduced the bumps, but the passing is still yuck.

It's ok for drive and kicks, but poor when you want to really kick the ball around as the Spurs do
Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
I have no probs with nerfing the lead passing aswell.

But in terms of passing, they dont give us a heap of options.
We have options. You can send players back door, lead them anywhere, bounce, fancy, lobs, icon, fake.

There are some flaws
There are problems with lobs and the overall lack of crispness. Much of that could be remedied with better rosters, off ball movement, and unbroken plays.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

And better logic for A button passing. I rarely get the pass to go to the player I want unless I use icon passing. Very rarely. And this, of course, slows down gameplay by requiring an extra button press and can cause confusion when I'm used to one player being at a certain position, i.e. having Korver open for 3 at the 3 slot but instead of pressing X I press B.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

I really appreciate everyone's responses. And listen I play on HOF and if I don't bring my A game or have the right mindset I get killed. And I expect nothing less. Those issues I brought up are extreme examples. And I watch a ton of Nba games and played ball in college so I fully expect normal passes to be stolen even at the start of the play. It really happens so yes. It is indeed progress. I guess a better way to put it is I wish I could control the speed of my passes. Guys are capable of heaving overhead bullet passes cross court for an open 3. But that is next to impossible in this game. The other thing I have an issue with is the CPU gets those same looks that we all crave. You beat the D and get a wide open shot. The CPU gets looks like that on me quite often. So they seem to understand that's how bball works. Break the defense find the breakdown before the defense recovers. As a Hum even if you beat the defense your shots are just not nearly as open. You can get good looks but never to the extent the CPU does. Even if you only watch NBA highlights you'll see at times the defense gets broken down so bad that a shooter is so open he literally has time for a dribble to gather his shot if that's his preference. I just don't see that same type of look for Hum.

And to the gentleman that said you can't use guys like john wall to their full extent I say thank you. I scored 36 last night with trey Burke which was awesome and I'm improving or trying to anyway and I see john walls speed advantage when I play the CPU but when I use the wizards even the slowest/worst defenders in the game have enough time to alter his shot. And since contact shots are a sure miss it defeats the purpose of driving. So I'm with you 100%. And I don't mean to bash the game. I get this is their first attempt. I actually love this game and have played it every night since launch day. But these are fairly egregious in terms of being a "sim" experience. I don't expect my definition of "sim" to be the gold standard but the ability to put zip on a pass and have a noticeable speed advantage when using the fastest players in the game would be nice. Point guards should make more of an impact. I still feel like steamrolling people in the lane with a lebron/Kobe/Paul George type player is unfortunately the status quo. It'd be nice to control a game with cp3 and his passing or john wall and his speed.

Having said all that thank you for the answers and stirring up some great points. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tcrews; 12-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »