Home

More NBA 2K Ideas...

This is a discussion on More NBA 2K Ideas... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
More NBA 2K Ideas...

More NBA 2K Ideas...

After venting earlier, I feel maybe I should be constructive and share my thoughts on issues, concerns, and the future direction of this series.

earlier post:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...enting-vc.html

I think most of us here at OS are aware we represent a minute fraction of the revenue generated in the sports gaming industry. With that being said, we are in a position in which we are fortunate enough to voice our opinions. Remember though, opinions are like (you know the rest)... Unfortunately these opinions often fall on deaf ears. Opinions more often than not are met with nothing more than lip service.

My biggest concern with 2K is the lack of interaction with the "real" sports gaming community. Sure you have a few of these guys who interact with the community in "lighter" threads. These guys are nowhere to be found when the serious questions present themselves.

1st Concern: Interactive Community

I would like to see a thread (needs to be a sticky) with representatives who are able to answer real concerns we have. Part of the problem is the community. This thread needs to be heavily moderated (enforced) and kept as civil as possible. We need 2K to be willing to commit and answer all questions that are reasonable with a direct response.

To keep this proposed thread beneficial to us and 2K, two actual threads should be created (both stickies). The community can post all questions in one thread and 2K (exclude all but 2K from this thread) can copy these questions then answer them in their own specific thread in descending order continuing to edit the original post. With this method the community will have access to all questions and answers on one page.

2nd Concern: Where are the options?

This one affects every aspect of this game from the inexcusable to the unbelievable. Where to start? I think a running list may work better in this case.

Here goes:

-Association
*Where are you? Seriously this one is inexcusable. Did 2K really think we would be satisfied with AI logic in the MyGM mode?

*How about the ability to play this mode with friends online controlling the same team? Why this hasn't been added to all sports games is beyond me. Sure its fun to play against our friends, but it would be nice to have the ability of teaming up with our friends to control a franchise.

*We need a real online association experience. Within this mode give us the ability to have user and cpu controlled teams. I shouldn't be forced to add a bunch of users (who will inevitably exploit this/that). Options!

*Full ability to edit every aspect of this mode. In online associations this should be limited to the commissioner. Some players will just have a breakout year and without the ability to change ratings/tendencies/skills/potential/traits (yada... yada...) we will be unable to accommodate these new found stars.

*Create a player needs to be added in all modes, but it should also be available once a league/career has already been started. This could be beneficial in adding guys who join mid-season (playoff push signing, etc.).

*If this mode comes back, make sure we can edit season length/playoff length.

-My Player
*This mode consumes very little of my time. So my ideas may be a little off here. With that said, these ideas would address the majority of the flaws I see in this mode.

*Where are the options in this mode? I should be able to create the character I want (is My Player intended to be an oxymoron?) If I want to be the next phenom who is LeBron/Kobe esque then give me that choice. If I wish to lead a career similar to Jamal Crawford, then let me. Maybe I don't want to play 35 min a game. Maybe I want to come in the game and fire shots at will. Let the market dictate the value of a player like that. Immerse me. Options galore for this mode. Maybe I would actually play it then.

*A users My Player could transition into a coach/GM after his career (he could even start in those roles). You would need to create interactive ways to make these modes work (think NFL Head Coach 09). I am not sure of the overall interest of this mode in a basketball game though. If done right, it could be extremely entertaining.

*If you have issues with people starting out as 80-85 overall then leave these players out of online play. I have no interest in park mode or your 5 vs 5 team up of past iterations. Make people interested in those modes start with your traditional My Player (limited overall and artificial caps).

*Online My Player should be completely separate from offline My Player (YES YOU NEED VERSIONS). If you find yourself needing to capitalize off your already lucrative franchise, then and only then, implement VC (with all the negativity surrounding "VC" you may want to change the name of your currency) in online My Player.

*Allow us to play our desired season length/playoff length (e.g. 14,28, etc.). Some of us have too many obligations to commit that kind of time. For those interested they may actually enjoy finishing a career.

*The user needs the ability to continue their career on the following year of the franchise. If you add, drop, or change ratings/skills/traits/tendencies on the next year then guesstimate an appropriate number. This shouldn't be that difficult.

*The proposed offline my player should have endless options.

*Allow us to team up with our friends (offline my player). You can enable the user to join friends in creating a team in whatever size they want (pg, pf, sixth man, etc.).

-My GM

*The more this mode replicates association going forward, the better!

*This mode lacks control thereby making it practically worthless. This mode needs an entire overhaul after year one.

-Opening Menu (and items accessible within the menu)

*We need a system added that changes every players ratings within a set of parameters defined by the user. Just to make sure that I am clear.

Select Players= ALL, PG, G, SG, SF, F, PF, C, Specific Team, Age
Select Ratings= inside shot, block, hands, off reb, etc.
Tendencies= post shot, draw foul, hard foul, drive, etc.
Gear= shoes, headband, socks, etc.

This also needs to be accessible once we start our careers in whichever mode chose. You see a flaw with the potential of all players, drop everyone by 5. You get the idea here. More control=more accuracy.

*We should have a plethora of menu designs and layouts to choose from. Everyone has different opinions here, but the best way to accommodate this is more options. Also, eliminate the joke of a menu implemented this year (haven't seen one positive response about it).

*Online Only? We actually lose menu options when 2K servers are down? Unacceptable!

*Ability to save on the hard drive (I can't believe I have to type this).

-Features

*Please incorporate new ways of including friends in our user experience.

*When creating, editing, or starting my player we should have the ability to test jump shots, free throws, post shot, etc. from inside the create/edit screen.

*Some variation of a play creator would be a perfect addition to a Next Gen title.

*This is the area where I would like to some creativity on the behalf of 2K.

**Create a site that would allow us to create cyber faces from photos/scratch/other cyber faces. This could add depth to the game and bring us one step closer to PC users. This same site could provide us the opportunity to create and upload logos, court designs, jerseys, etc to all modes of the game (If possible).

-Settings

*Defensive settings must be added back asap.

*POE- Neat idea, but the decisions you make should actually be felt (many of these are polar opposites yet play nearly identical).

-Disclosure

*If you have issues with these suggestions potentially affecting online My Player and ranked online games, then remove these options from these modes ONLY! All other modes should include every option at the disposal of the user. Let the league commissioners decide what is and isn't acceptable (not your place for a game we pay for).

*VC! Address this issue immediately (this is an issue). We paid full retail for this game, please remember who your customers are. We essentially pay you for a roster update and tweaks annually. In fact, sometimes (this year) we receive an inadequate version of the game. Guess who's out $60 bucks. We are! You know whats right here, fix it!

3rd Concern: Game Play

I feel this game plays incredibly well overall and could use a few tweaks. A more intuitive AI would help the game play more than anything. The majority of the problems seem they would be quick fixes (could be wrong). Once again a list should suffice.

*AI defensive rotations/help need to be tuned. Guys rotate/commit far too quickly and ensure they will be out of position to contest the 3.

*Guys who lack range are still being defended beyond the 3 point. This pulls your defensive presence away from the basket.

* I am ready for this "Next Gen" experience. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I want to see AI that detects patterns and problem solves on its own.

*Players should play similar in the virtual world as they do on the hardwood. Javale McGee should have mental lapses and rarely recognize patterns in play calling and habits of the opponent (user or cpu).

*The user/cpu should pay running the same play over and over. I am not saying it should be stopped automatically but anyone will pick up on the same play over and over. The AI should know when and how to help on the play if it is called over and over, this should reduce the risk of success.

*The computer needs to find the leader, mismatch, guy in rhythm, etc . The AI also needs to understand the importance of stars/superstars to their respective teams. I am tired of seeing above average players/nobodies have the ball in their hands more than the teams leader (2K's poor tendencies are to blame here). Dwight Howard shouldn't be hanging out 22 from the basket either (sometimes big man are even dribbling this far out). Regardless of tendencies, Durant should always have more attempts than Ibaka (unless Durant is having one of those crazy FT nights).

I am tired and this list has taken far too long. I know I have forgotten some points that needed to be made. If I can remember I will add them later. Feel free to chime in. I leave with...

MORE OPTIONS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: More NBA 2K Ideas...

As the one who chewed you out on the previous post, I think this is very well thought out and lists a lot of valid criticism of the game. It was cool that you took my advice on the matter, so I will try to contribute to the discussion a little.

I have unfortunately not played 2K on the next gen that much this year (I just got my Xbox One a few days ago). I can however, voice my concern with the quality of the next gen compared to the previous generation from what I have seen so far. While I appreciate the fact they focused on the actual basketball game (the game itself is fun to play), I can't help but to notice the lack of polish everywhere. From when you first launch the game, the main menu looks underwhelming. Maybe I am missing something, but the previous generation had a load of cool tutorials, modes, and other types of things you could do in game. I see four options on the main menu right now... That is sort of unbelievable and makes the game seem almost like a tech demo. I do expect 2K to add back in the things they are missing, but I can't help but to feel that this game was rushed out the door to meet a deadline, and was never actually done. Maybe another year of development time and 2K15 will improve a lot, but the game is at a grade of a B for me. They can do a lot better, and I hope they do next time.

MyPlayer:

I am a bit of the opposite of you in the way that I have only really played MyPlayer and not anything else, but the features you are asking for might be a bit of a stretch. I love how they are bringing things like The Park into the game, I just think it could be expanded in that way. Just like how FIFA has Pro Clubs, maybe there could be a team aspect in MyPlayer. I think the sky is the limit as far as MyPlayer goes, but it is really up to 2K to shape the direction of the game. Customization doesn't really bother me, but I think it can be expanded immensely to offer a ton of options. Ultimately, I am okay with where it is at right now and hope to continually see improvement.

MyGM:

As previously stated, I have not played this mode at all yet. However, from what I have heard I think I am not going to like what I see. I play 2K mainly for associations when I am playing later on in the year. I want to be able to not have to grind for VC to do things in an association. I understand that there is money to be made in this, but I really feel like associations are not given any sort of benefit from being online. If you want to somehow make MyGM more connected fine. Keep VC in the mode. But if it is just the online version for no real reason at least give me the option to not have to deal with VC. I am very concerned that this game is going to be collecting dust after 2K15 is out and you shut down the servers.

It's late so that is all I have right now. I think ultimately the issue with this game is that it is becoming an MMO and not a simulation. MyPlayer seems acceptable to turn into a mode like this with things such as The Park to use, but I do not want my association to be pay to win. I come to basketball simulations to simulate the NBA, not to involve real world money to make my fake basketball team better. I enjoy the challenge, and when you make the challenge revolve around getting currency I don't really want to think about, it makes the experience a lot less genuine.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt131
As the one who chewed you out on the previous post, I think this is very well thought out and lists a lot of valid criticism of the game. It was cool that you took my advice on the matter, so I will try to contribute to the discussion a little.

I have unfortunately not played 2K on the next gen that much this year (I just got my Xbox One a few days ago). I can however, voice my concern with the quality of the next gen compared to the previous generation from what I have seen so far. While I appreciate the fact they focused on the actual basketball game (the game itself is fun to play), I can't help but to notice the lack of polish everywhere. From when you first launch the game, the main menu looks underwhelming. Maybe I am missing something, but the previous generation had a load of cool tutorials, modes, and other types of things you could do in game. I see four options on the main menu right now... That is sort of unbelievable and makes the game seem almost like a tech demo. I do expect 2K to add back in the things they are missing, but I can't help but to feel that this game was rushed out the door to meet a deadline, and was never actually done. Maybe another year of development time and 2K15 will improve a lot, but the game is at a grade of a B for me. They can do a lot better, and I hope they do next time.

MyPlayer:

I am a bit of the opposite of you in the way that I have only really played MyPlayer and not anything else, but the features you are asking for might be a bit of a stretch. I love how they are bringing things like The Park into the game, I just think it could be expanded in that way. Just like how FIFA has Pro Clubs, maybe there could be a team aspect in MyPlayer. I think the sky is the limit as far as MyPlayer goes, but it is really up to 2K to shape the direction of the game. Customization doesn't really bother me, but I think it can be expanded immensely to offer a ton of options. Ultimately, I am okay with where it is at right now and hope to continually see improvement.

MyGM:

As previously stated, I have not played this mode at all yet. However, from what I have heard I think I am not going to like what I see. I play 2K mainly for associations when I am playing later on in the year. I want to be able to not have to grind for VC to do things in an association. I understand that there is money to be made in this, but I really feel like associations are not given any sort of benefit from being online. If you want to somehow make MyGM more connected fine. Keep VC in the mode. But if it is just the online version for no real reason at least give me the option to not have to deal with VC. I am very concerned that this game is going to be collecting dust after 2K15 is out and you shut down the servers.

It's late so that is all I have right now. I think ultimately the issue with this game is that it is becoming an MMO and not a simulation. MyPlayer seems acceptable to turn into a mode like this with things such as The Park to use, but I do not want my association to be pay to win. I come to basketball simulations to simulate the NBA, not to involve real world money to make my fake basketball team better. I enjoy the challenge, and when you make the challenge revolve around getting currency I don't really want to think about, it makes the experience a lot less genuine.
U fanboys kill me on here. Its "unholy" to vent about a game u paid 60 bucks for which right now isnt even worth 10 bucks. Last gen 2k is better in every aspect.

Does it really matter how we critique the game??? Hell its not like 2k gone listen.

They gone take they time and maybe by 2k17 we will have a complete game.

If the game is trash its TRASH!!

Stop getting yall feelings hurt when somebody dont share your views or present them in a manner u dont agree with!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Rookie

I'm glad someone is offering input in making this game better. Association was on the right path before, and taking out features is so many steps backward. Creating players is very important to the association mode. Also, it is fun to play with your friends in the association mode, and I don't see why these features are missing from the game. My player has seen some improvements on the single player level, but I would like to see offline and online co-op associations with my player features. And don't get that confused with the online leagues now. Those end after one season and lack so any features. 2k needs to take a note from EA (Madden) and expand.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourpurpose

I think most of us here at OS are aware we represent a minute fraction of the revenue generated in the sports gaming industry.
I'll just address one thing about your post. I think this is a huge misconception about sim/hardcore gamer and the casual gamer.

I believe this forum is a fine representation of the gaming community and a direct representation of the typical cycle buyer that is at the very core of the revenue generated for annual games.

Repeat business and cycle buyers make up a huge portion of the market, that's us right here. Sure there are always going to be some who take it to the craziest levels with 100's upon 100's of hours spent dissecting the minute nuances or creating custom rosters and sliders but the very large majority of us who play the game and frequent this site are active casual users.

Forums are becoming the standard medium for discussing products and hobbies not just a place for the ultra emphatic.

They would be wise to listen, we're a great representation of their buyers.

....and good post.

Last edited by RumbleCard; 12-29-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »