Home

I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

This is a discussion on I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

EDIT: never mind

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 01-05-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
Rookie

ekferio's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

They jump the passing lane the nano second you hit the pass button sometimes. It's annoying.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA
I always thought the idea of scripting in video games was just an excuse for someone who is losing. It turns out that I have fallen victim to scripting this whole time, and I just finished a game in my Nets GM mode against the Heat that I will never forget.

I finished the third-quarter and the score was 85-56 with me on top. As soon as the fourth-quarter had started, every pass I threw would be tipped, then came a breakaway jam from LBJ, almost every single time. Then, I managed to call a timeout after this happening four times in a row, without a single possession. Immediately after the timeout is over, LBJ gets another breakaway. The score is now 85-66 with about 8 minutes remaining (10-minute quarters). I finally get to dribble the ball up the court, resulting in a back-court violation from Joe Johnson. At this point, I wasn't really mad because I was winning by quite a large margin, but I was still a bit angry. After that possession, Norris Cole chucked up a three, it missed. Offensive rebound from the Heat. This happened five times. Bosh had FOUR offensive rebounds, right there. He struggles to get SIX rebounds a game. He had layed it up to make it 85-71 I believe.

Long story short, this kept happening to me all along the fourth-quarter, until I lost 92-90. I didn't want to make this thread really long and keep you reading for five minutes, I just thought I should share this with you guys. This was the worst game of 2K I have played in my life, lol.

I made a post about this a few days ago. Its 100% true. I will be winning in the 4th and be up by 10-12 then I will start missing everything while the computer hits everything.

At the end of the 4th the CPU wins and when you look at the stats the CPU shot 70% while I shot 35%. And the CPU will out rebound you when it was pretty even for the first 3 quarters.

The worst part is when you are getting open shots and getting a perfect rating for release and shot selection A + yet you keep missing.

If the CPU doesn't want your shot going in, its not going in.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
People that scream about scripting in video games make little to zero sense.

1. Why would a game company "script" a game? They can(and do) make enough AI/coding designs to beat even the best players a good deal of the time.

2.If a game is TRULY scripted....it's easy enough to prove or disprove.
.....A. Start a game. Immediately save it.
.....B. Play the game numerous times and if you really believe in scripted outcome......send that save to numerous people for play.
....The outcome(REGARDLESS of how it gets there) MUST be the same each time for a scripted outcome in the beliefs of those who are saying games are absolutely scripted.
You will either always win or always lose that game. There is no other scenario to call a game scripted.

I guarantee that will not happen.

Good day and good luck.

M.K.
Knight165
So tell me this, if there is no come back AI code.

If you take 4 shots in a row and they are all perfect release and A or A+ shot selection but you miss all 4, while the CPU hits three pointers while double teamed (by Jordan and Pippen, since I use the bulls in my league) so they CPU can get back in the game, how is that not a come back AI / scripted code?

The reason Devs do it is because they don't want you to blow out the computer every game and they want to give a challenge.

Scripted may be a poor choice of words but at points in the game the CPU does get a cheat boost while the user gets nerfed where they can't hit anything just so the CPU can get back in the game.

Last edited by birthday_massacre; 01-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
People that scream about scripting in video games make little to zero sense.

1. Why would a game company "script" a game? They can(and do) make enough AI/coding designs to beat even the best players a good deal of the time.

2.If a game is TRULY scripted....it's easy enough to prove or disprove.
.....A. Start a game. Immediately save it.
.....B. Play the game numerous times and if you really believe in scripted outcome......send that save to numerous people for play.
....The outcome(REGARDLESS of how it gets there) MUST be the same each time for a scripted outcome in the beliefs of those who are saying games are absolutely scripted.
You will either always win or always lose that game. There is no other scenario to call a game scripted.

I guarantee that will not happen.

Good day and good luck.

M.K.
Knight165
I've been asking people to do this over in The Show Forums for years. Literally years.

Guess how many took my challenge? I'll give you a hint. Any number you guess would be too many.

Than I ask for boxscores. Like a Scout's Honor sort of thing. And still...

Nada. Zip. Nothing.

I'd love for even one person to do this in ANY scripted games thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illuminati
And here come the fanboys...

Seriously, 2K could sell you a 2K15 case with **** inside of it and you guys would find a way to defend it.
Word of advice, your 100% correct but you have to word it better. I understand the frustration but the higher up don't take kindly to harsh words and statements. Continue to fight your good fight but word it better.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I've been asking people to do this over in The Show Forums for years. Literally years.

Guess how many took my challenge? I'll give you a hint. Any number you guess would be too many.

Than I ask for boxscores. Like a Scout's Honor sort of thing. And still...

Nada. Zip. Nothing.

I'd love for even one person to do this in ANY scripted games thread.
The EA NHL series is the worst culprit for come back AI, and you don't need videos or pictures to prove its there since so many people complain about it.

Back in the NES and Geneis days there was never come back code but back then you could kill the computer in sports game. So dev's started adding it into games to make it more challenging instead of trying to make better AI.

Its just easier to make the CPU baskets go in at a 70% clip and then have the user start shooting 35% in the 4th Q than to have the AI be better for the whole game and make it more competitive.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
The EA NHL series is the worst culprit for come back AI, and you don't need videos or pictures to prove its there since so many people complain about it.

Back in the NES and Geneis days there was never come back code but back then you could kill the computer in sports game. So dev's started adding it into games to make it more challenging instead of trying to make better AI.

Its just easier to make the CPU baskets go in at a 70% clip and then have the user start shooting 35% in the 4th Q than to have the AI be better for the whole game and make it more competitive.
There's a reason evidence and truth are connected. One always leads to the other.

I'm not commenting on this game specifically. I'm simply saying that these assertions are bold and if it's so blatantly obvious, a test like Knight suggested should be EASY to execute and share.

Easy. Yet nobody ever does it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »