Home

I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

This is a discussion on I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #297
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

Scripting is rife in EA's FIFA franchise, offline and online, offline to keep things challenging and online to keep the casual gamer interested, and although I don't think I'm all that good myself I still don't like it, wins hardly ever feel fair and you mostly feel cheated when you lose.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #298
Just started!

Example....

/watch?v=WLvdoNCrmjs (can't post full links yet)

And the script was probably activated long before that cross... the engine can 'carry' you.

Game states are rarely ever totally authentic.

Human skill/intelligence very rarely ever decides the outcome. A lot of match events feel rigged for you to either win or lose.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #299
Zab
Rookie

OVR: 1

I feel like the issues got better with patch #3. Of course, my player rating had gone up by that time, as did my personal skill at playing the game, so I'm not sure how much of it is in my head.

Going through my new career file, the f***ery is still there, but knowing that some of it is completely scripted and that I can win a championship in my first season in spite of the shenanigans makes it far less annoying. In games where things aren't working out in my favor, I don't sweat it and just focus on maximizing my player rating. Generally, game outcomes are natural enough, whether they're blowouts or tightly contested. Playing Simulation style now, which may affect things. I'm looking forward to see what patch 4 brings. Hopefully, it successfully converts my existing offline save to online (I wanna rock those free Jordans, brehs).

Last edited by Zab; 01-20-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #300
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
People that scream about scripting in video games make little to zero sense.

1. Why would a game company "script" a game? They can(and do) make enough AI/coding designs to beat even the best players a good deal of the time.

2.If a game is TRULY scripted....it's easy enough to prove or disprove.
.....A. Start a game. Immediately save it.
.....B. Play the game numerous times and if you really believe in scripted outcome......send that save to numerous people for play.
....The outcome(REGARDLESS of how it gets there) MUST be the same each time for a scripted outcome in the beliefs of those who are saying games are absolutely scripted.
You will either always win or always lose that game. There is no other scenario to call a game scripted.

I guarantee that will not happen.

Good day and good luck.

M.K.
Knight165
1A. This game sells VC for real money. Also several games "feel" bad on high difficulties because of quick fixes to the AI that just seem to cheat.

2A. The games themselves are NOT scripted, but certain events are. For example your teammates will play horrible when you get the dynamic goal "Take Over and Score the next 10 points". You can force your way out of the goal and fail it, but the gameplay is coded different.

There are going to be "runs" during the game as well. These are coded different for sure. Some people say a timeout L1+R1 will get you out of a run, score a basket or force a foul. Maybe so, but the game plays differently. When 3 CPU defenders vacuum to the ball and move faster than passes, try whatever you can to get out of it.

Finally ever wonder why when you play against these teams Spurs (Popavich) and Cavs (Brown), you always seem to play well and your teammates are amazing? Post game interview cut scenes with the coaches maybe? Yup it is in the game... These are games you can save and reload to prove my point.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #301
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just "call a timeout"

LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »