Home

I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

This is a discussion on I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #49
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: I never really believed in scripting in video games, until now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously though, thanks for that.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Complaining and using phrases like "almost every time I" and "it seems like" are way more productive than you know...

Providing data and analysis.

I mean, evidence only leads to possible solutions and workarounds if a problem actually does exist. But I like your way of thinking better.

Hey, it's an Internet forum. Complaining and raging feels good!

Even if it gets you literally nowhere.

Have fun with your make believe. Because without solid proof, if the problem does indeed exist, it will never go away without facts.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #50
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

i just got SCREWED by comeback/scripted BS in mycareer.

up 11 on bulls start of 4th, derrick rose dropped 17+ points... didnt miss a single shot despite taking TWO turn arounds OVER the back of the backboard...and did i mention i contested EVERY shot...oh and he reach stripped me 3/3 times, noah got me once, and eric gordon...EVERY TIME i passed it to him for an open shot he would up fake, wait for the defender, then take a contested fade....oh and he was playing with 8 fouls....needless to say we lost

and of course the next game dejaun blair goes beast mode and makes 8/8 shots despite fading away, falling down, and being contested

Last edited by turty11; 01-06-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeMaReWaLKeR
As a CG PS3 player, I believe the AI dynamically decides the fate of your play as well as the CPU based upon factors such as a winning or losing streak, team chemistry, and team play. When the AI determines the gameplay based upon these factors, the percentages of a good pass, shot, defense, or rebound are affected. When the AI has has the percentages in favor of the CPU, it's gut-wrenching because not only do react quicker than players, but it can shoot whatever the hell it wants and make it. I've had rebounds where both my hands are on the ball and the CPU has it palmed to the side and rip it from me. I've seen the CPU put his hand through me and grab the rebound through my body. I've slid several feet from where I jumped because I was in the CPU's way. I've been bonked countless times in the head because the AI would force me to put my hands down as the ball approached. I would hit turbo from time to time and get nothing. I have jumped towards the CPU for a block and was dropped vertically as if I hit some sort of invisible force field. My teammates would double team for no reason, stop rebounding, or simply let the ball fly by them as the CPU gets the possession. I've had random emotion animations occur during a live ball just so the CPU could get the ball. With the CPU players backs turned, it's able to know exactly where the ball will go, while your teammates gear up with shin guards, ready to play a game in FIFA. The AI will commit you to make turnovers for no reason. Just some examples that come to mind if the AI favors the CPU.
Lol I experience the same exact crap. Especially the rebounding thing. They clip through my body, head, and anywhere to grab the rebound I already grabbed, from my hands and through my body. The commentators even mention I grabbed the rebound, only to not get the stat and for the other team to easily get it.

I've ran into the invisible force field when jumping too. It's like he jumps 2 inches off the ground, and this is while the other team is shooting.

The worse is when you strip the ball, try to pick it up and a kick ball gets called instead. Wtf

And this talk about evidence.. Wtf

If your girlfriend said she banged every friend of yours, and all of your friends are admitting to it, but you haven't seen it with your own eyes so you don't believe it because, there's no evidence. Just hear say. Right?

I mean, just because everyone, including your girlfriend, said they did I it, doesn't make it true since there's no evidence, right?

This isn't the court of law, or trial, there is no evidence needed. We are all experiencing the same thing, word for word. Why would we lie? Oh, that's right. You're insinuating that we must just suck.

2k isn't going to fix something they know is in the game when they've implemented such a system, themselves. This is their "comeback" system. This is their way of making the CPU challenging. Again, I'm talking about MyCareer mode, not anything else.. Sure there's some AI cheese there, but nothing like the blatant scripting in order for those vague dynamic goals to pop up like "we are down big. Bring us back within 5 so we can have a chance!" And it's always the same scenario. They score big when they get to that run, but once the dynamic goal pops up, they start missing, giving you a chance to comeback within 5 for another dynamic goal to pop up. "Score 10 in a row" Ok? So now I'm kobe? "Stop that man, he's on fire" or how about being double teamed the first touch I get the ball. I must be a god.

It's the same thing that happens with shooters.. The AI NPC is ignored and you are the priority.

In GTA, cops chase NPC, but steal a car or let the cops crash into you. Their chase instantly diverts to you, forgetting the npc.
In COD, your NPC team in the campaign mode doesn't kill anyone unless it's scripted. The developer wants you to get all the kills.

same applies here. The developers don't want us to win every game so instead of just putting a realistic scenario, like defense, good plays.. They sabotage your entire teams attributes, remove their AI, in order for the dynamic goals to trigger and in their eyes to add a challenge.

I don't mind losing, when it's fair.

Last edited by Rell7thirty; 01-06-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell7thirty
goo goo gah gah "don't need no evidence!" goo goo gah
Hmmm...

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #53
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Some things I noticed ....

- mediocre defenders become Defensive Gurus
-A.I steals more, passes feel floaty not as much zip
-loose balls, 50-50 , favor the other team
-rebounds favor other team. Bigs don't jump , guards snag over 7's
-your teammate A.I will reach in foul at the oddest times(shot clock going down)
- Your A.I teammates will jump more on fakes
-Your A.I teammates will over help and then recover slow
-CPU A.I recovers fast/ slides into place
-your A.I teammates will miss catches through their fingers
-your A.I teammates will get more moving screen fouls
- best shooters will go cold

Now all this happens in the nbA daily but in 2k in all kind of happens at once. Which makes the game feel a little "scripted". And it all can happen without any adjustments from opponent. Which makes me wonder how does the game just say ok this player is cold this match even though he's open all game. That's really game changing...
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #54
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
i have 2k14 on pc and have never once even tried to play on hof difficulty but i still see the same things that people are describing almost every game. its not always necessarily a comeback but if the cpu decides a shot is going in then its going in. so its not limited to hof difficulty.
I honestly don't have an issue winning on the PC version at all. Some games I win and some I don't. I mix it up, call plays, run, walk the ball up, play inside, outside, some mid ranges and im pretty successul with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Yeah, you're probably right.

Complaining and using phrases like "almost every time I" and "it seems like" are way more productive than you know...

Providing data and analysis.

I mean, evidence only leads to possible solutions and workarounds if a problem actually does exist. But I like your way of thinking better.

Hey, it's an Internet forum. Complaining and raging feels good!

Even if it gets you literally nowhere.

Have fun with your make believe. Because without solid proof, if the problem does indeed exist, it will never go away without facts.

I'd say you guys should listen to this man. All of your energy is unproductive if you aren't showing the devs what you're talking about. Its very simple, you have a PS4 or Xbox, just say or hit record and post it here for them to see.

From what I've seen its a very effective way to get a message across and a much better use than getting excited over posting a jumper or a dunk that everyone else can do too.

If you don't want to post video then I need to ask you why, and if you're serious about calling something out then why not do it the best way you can.

Im not talking about clipping or anything, post some full quarter clips so people can see how it triggers and where. Im aware some guys might not want the way they play scrutinized because some people might be making some serious noob moves in the game but ultimately you just wasted a ton of keystrokes if nobody shows anything at all in here. Its pages long now with nothing but ranting. I don't think those kinds of threads get across too often.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 0

Sometimes it did feel as if there was no way I can win in a game during my second season (I know some games are scripted in season 1) in my career, but my team's record is 45 - 8 on HOF sim. So I don't really think it's true.

I could be wrong though.

But before I changed difficulty to HOF, my team would win by over 20 almost every game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #56
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Sometimes it did feel as if there was no way I can win in a game during my second season (I know some games are scripted in season 1) in my career, but my team's record is 45 - 8 on HOF sim. So I don't really think it's true.

I could be wrong though.

But before I changed difficulty to HOF, my team would win by over 20 almost every game.
How is your record so good on HOF Sim, you must be scoring like 80 every game.

When ever i play on HOF. i still play good, but my teammates are terrible and they leave their man open 90% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »