Home

Excellent Shot Release... Uh Oh..

This is a discussion on Excellent Shot Release... Uh Oh.. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #41
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Excellent Shot Release... Uh Oh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Yeah, that's how real basketball is though. Shots are always up to chance, but you can increase your chance with good form. Yeah i can make just as many shots with early or late release as i can with excellent release too. But that's not the point, it' just that you have a better chance to make shots with excellent release. Put it this way, if you took 50 shots with excellent release and 50 shots with early or late release, you would most likely make a higher percentage of the shots you took with excellent release. Simple, that's how it works.

I think some of you guys aren't understanding, excellent release doesn't mean guaranteed make, it means you have a higher CHANCE of making the shot.
but thats not how it works irl.

let me put it this way. i shoot around at lunch every day. there are times where my shot feels absolutely perfect but it doesnt go in. i dont just say well that was bad luck that i missed even though it felt good. when i see how it misses i am able to see that it was not actually perfect and adjust my next shot so i dont make that same mistake. even though the original shot felt perfect it wasnt and i was able to adjust accordingly. thats what im getting at. obviously there is no possible way to truly emulate real shooting mechanics in a video game. but the way it is now its 100% a dice roll.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, honestly. No disrespect to you at all. NBA 2k is supposed to be a basketball simulation. People would shoot probably 80% on here if every A+ Quality Excellent release shot went in. I'm almost positive no one, yourself included would want to play against someone that had their teams releases down. You have to take into consideration the games defensive issues, like unnecessary help D leaving corner 3's open, the game not allowing you to closeout sometimes, etc. The game itself gives you bookoo amounts of open looks, add that to perfect releases...insane %'s ensue.

If you seriously want the game to play like that, you could always turn your sliders up lol. To each his own, right?

I dont agree with this statement either. Take 5 perfect release threes with D12, then take 5 perfect release threes with Kyle Korver. Ratings still play a huge part in this game.

I really believe this is one of those things that people would beg for, and then come to OS and complain about how every shot goes in. We ALREADY complain about how ridiculous the shooting percentages are, and we miss a lot of open shots already. I just don't see a logical argument here.
How is that ridiculous ? That is like saying its ridiculous if you take a test and get every question right, that just because the teach felt like it, he or she gave you a 95.

If its a sim like you claim then the CPU wouldn't be sinking three 3 pointers in a row with Jordan and Pippen doubling teaming them, while I am missing A+ and A shots down the other end while I am wide open.

How is that sim? Its cheese by the CPU.

And turning up the sliders wouldn't fix the issue because it would also let more D- shots go in which I hate when I shoot poorly and it still goes in. That pisses me off just as much.

They could easily let every A+ shot go in, if they make the window to get that shot much harder.

Its also a joke when there is less than 10 secs left the CPU fouls you because they are down by 2 and even if you get two A + FT you alway seem to miss one, just so the CPU can go down the other end, and sink a 3 while being doubled teamed to send the game into OT.

I would be fine with only missing some A+ or A shots, but when you are missing a lot of them in the 4th Q something needs to be fixed because the CPU is cheating and no matter how perfect your timing is, its going to make you miss because it wants to get back in the game
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #43
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
but thats not how it works irl.

let me put it this way. i shoot around at lunch every day. there are times where my shot feels absolutely perfect but it doesnt go in. i dont just say well that was bad luck that i missed even though it felt good. when i see how it misses i am able to see that it was not actually perfect and adjust my next shot so i dont make that same mistake. even though the original shot felt perfect it wasnt and i was able to adjust accordingly. thats what im getting at. obviously there is no possible way to truly emulate real shooting mechanics in a video game. but the way it is now its 100% a dice roll.
Exactly. If you were to get a machine that could put up the perfect shot, it would make a basket every single time. it would never miss since the shot mechanics were always spot on.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #44
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
How is that ridiculous ? That is like saying its ridiculous if you take a test and get every question right, that just because the teach felt like it, he or she gave you a 95.

If its a sim like you claim then the CPU wouldn't be sinking three 3 pointers in a row with Jordan and Pippen doubling teaming them, while I am missing A+ and A shots down the other end while I am wide open.

How is that sim? Its cheese by the CPU.

And turning up the sliders wouldn't fix the issue because it would also let more D- shots go in which I hate when I shoot poorly and it still goes in. That pisses me off just as much.

They could easily let every A+ shot go in, if they make the window to get that shot much harder.

Its also a joke when there is less than 10 secs left the CPU fouls you because they are down by 2 and even if you get two A + FT you alway seem to miss one, just so the CPU can go down the other end, and sink a 3 while being doubled teamed to send the game into OT.

I would be fine with only missing some A+ or A shots, but when you are missing a lot of them in the 4th Q something needs to be fixed because the CPU is cheating and no matter how perfect your timing is, its going to make you miss because it wants to get back in the game
You have some of the worse analogies when it comes to this situation. You're comparing a test, where there are only 2 outcomes...to a shot where there are almost an infinite # of outcomes. A test question, you can either get it right or wrong, thats it. A jumpshot, you can be perfect, you can be heavily contested, you can be lightly contested, you can pull a muscle while lifting, you can be off by an inch, you can be off by a mile, you can be clutch, you can choke under pressure. A lot of things can factor into your release, or shot quality.

I stated 2k is SUPPOSED to be sim. We ALL know that 2k has its issues that prevent it from being perfect. Namely, the artificial attribute boost the CPU gets on higher levels that result in cheese. I don't think thats a User shooting problem, however. Thats definitely a CPU AI problem.

Quote:
Exactly. If you were to get a machine that could put up the perfect shot, it would make a basket every single time. it would never miss since the shot mechanics were always spot on.
Keyword here is MACHINE. No human is ever going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. Which is exactly why people miss shots about 55% of the time.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
You have some of the worse analogies when it comes to this situation. You're comparing a test, where there are only 2 outcomes...to a shot where there are almost an infinite # of outcomes. A test question, you can either get it right or wrong, thats it. A jumpshot, you can be perfect, you can be heavily contested, you can be lightly contested, you can pull a muscle while lifting, you can be off by an inch, you can be off by a mile, you can be clutch, you can choke under pressure. A lot of things can factor into your release, or shot quality.

I stated 2k is SUPPOSED to be sim. We ALL know that 2k has its issues that prevent it from being perfect. Namely, the artificial attribute boost the CPU gets on higher levels that result in cheese. I don't think thats a User shooting problem, however. Thats definitely a CPU AI problem.

Keyword here is MACHINE. No human is ever going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. Which is exactly why people miss shots about 55% of the time.
I am making perfectly analogies you just don't like them because it shows you how I am right.

The test analogy was sarcasm, sorry you missed that one

As for the machine, you have people on here saying in a person took the perfect shot that it would not always go in. I am saying that is not true, if the person took a perfect shot it would always go in, just like it would for a machine.

If a person misses a shot its because they did something wrong, not because even if they take a perfect shot, it sometimes will randomly not go in. I disproved that easily.

If you get a perfect release and an A+ shot selection, then it should never miss. If its not perfect and off then it should be an A- rating or a slightly early or sightly late shot, thus it would make sense if it misses. But if the game is telling you that you take the perfect release and perfect release, and it was not tipped then it shouldn't miss.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

The reason why baseball players shoot 50% from the field is because they don't always take the perfect shot. But when they do, that shot always goes in , it never misses EVER unless its tipped or blocked.

If the shot has a chance to miss then it shouldn't be a perfect A+ rating. Make it A- and slightly early or late release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
If an NBA player squares up and takes the perfect shot with the perfect mechanics, and is wide open they are going to hit that shot every time.
Not true at all. Anyone that plays basketball can tell you that's not true. This is where you're having a misunderstanding, that's NOT how basketball works. You can have perfect form, and release, lift etc on your shot and be wide open, but that doesn't guarantee you'll make the shot, that just means you're more LIKELY to make it. There is no 100% shot. Sometimes they just don't go in.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #47
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Not true at all. Anyone that plays basketball can tell you that's not true. This is where you're having a misunderstanding, that's NOT how basketball works. You can have perfect form, and release, lift etc on your shot and be wide open, but that doesn't guarantee you'll make the shot, that just means you're more LIKELY to make it. There is no 100% shot. Sometimes they just don't go in.
I have said a million times Ray Allen has said this. He has said when ever he misses a shot he knows why he missed and that his mechanics were off.

He is the probably the best pure shooter in NBA history. Ill take his word over yours or anyone else's on this board.

I even said if you were able to take a machine and take the exact same shot every single time with the perfect mechanics, that shot would go in every single time, It would never miss because everything is perfect.

I just think its funny you don't think that is true.

If you miss a shot its something YOU did wrong, or it was tipped or blocked. There is no wind in an NBA arena so that can't effect it. If it was outside then yes that could be the case but inside its just not the case.

Last edited by birthday_massacre; 01-06-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #48
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
I am making perfectly analogies you just don't like them because it shows you how I am right.

The test analogy was sarcasm, sorry you missed that one

As for the machine, you have people on here saying in a person took the perfect shot that it would not always go in. I am saying that is not true, if the person took a perfect shot it would always go in, just like it would for a machine.

If a person misses a shot its because they did something wrong, not because even if they take a perfect shot, it sometimes will randomly not go in. I disproved that easily.

If you get a perfect release and an A+ shot selection, then it should never miss. If its not perfect and off then it should be an A- rating or a slightly early or sightly late shot, thus it would make sense if it misses. But if the game is telling you that you take the perfect release and perfect release, and it was not tipped then it shouldn't miss.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

The reason why baseball players shoot 50% from the field is because they don't always take the perfect shot. But when they do, that shot always goes in , it never misses EVER unless its tipped or blocked.

If the shot has a chance to miss then it shouldn't be a perfect A+ rating. Make it A- and slightly early or late release.
Let me ask you this question:

While watching NBA game on TV, you see Ray Allen miss a wide open corner 3. I mean WIDE OPEN. Every thing looks perfect, but the ball rolls in and out. How can you judge if his mechanics were off, since there isn't anything popping up on screen showing the release and shot quality?

I'm just not sold on the idea that players are always gonna hit perfect shots. There are just too many things to factor in. You could even go as far as to say that the air just wasn't right, or his mechanics were perfect, but he blinked a millisecond before he shot. Seriously, some times the ball just doesn't go in.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »