Home

Improving Audio and Atmosphere

This is a discussion on Improving Audio and Atmosphere within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #57
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Improving Audio and Atmosphere

I'm also hoping for some better sounds in the game and appropriate crowd reaction, like said earlier would take this game so much further toward realism.

I'm going off memory here but back with College Hoops 2k 8, they had a system where the crowd would give you a boost when you started playing better. The crowd wouldn't be as loud when you were behind but on your runs they would get louder and be more active. Obviously it would need to be upgraded as far as sound quality but during a game the crowd would be up and down according to the home teams runs which is how it should be.

It would take time but would it be a lot of trouble for them to go to a few arenas to record crowd sounds and go from there? Also agree dunk sounds need to be better and some yelling from more players would go along way.

Last edited by Sinner; 09-07-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #58
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
I'm also hoping for some better sounds in the game and appropriate crowd reaction, like said earlier would take this game so much further toward realism.

I'm going off memory here but back with College Hoops 2k 8, they had a system where the crowd would give you a boost when you started playing better. The crowd wouldn't be as loud when you were behind but on your runs they would get louder and be more active. Obviously it would need to be upgraded as far as sound quality but during a game the crowd would be up and down according to the home teams runs which is how it should be.

It would take time but would it be a lot of trouble for them to go to a few arenas to record crowd sounds and go from there? Also agree dunk sounds need to be better and some yelling from more players would go along way.

Fantastic point man!! Dude they had so many good things in that game. Jersey was a good fit, lighting in the stadiums were right, and they had a mind for great atmosphere... TOTALLY got AWAY from that

It was called The Sixth Man

Quote:
"This year, the development team has added more remarkable new features in College Hoops 2K8 than ever before," said Greg Thomas, President of Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio. "Having a compelling and entertaining atmosphere is essential for a college basketball title and the 6th Man Advantage adds a new gameplay element that allows gamers to tap into the crowd's energy to benefit their team.
Quote:
The sixth-man feature in 2K8 is represented as a meter that's shown at the bottom of the screen during a game. By default, the meter is green and will be filled depending on which team you're using (a big program like Duke, for example, will start with about half of its meter filled when playing at Cameron Indoor Arena). Performing successful plays such as scoring baskets or stopping the opposing team will fill the meter up, whereas playing as if your players' shoes are filled with lead and their fingers are coated with motor oil will decrease the meter. If you fire up the crowd enough, the sixth-man meter will fill up completely and turn red, at which point your team will be feeding off the intensity of the crowd and earn temporary confidence as well as energy boosts in the process.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/col.../1100-6180862/

Probably not the cleanest run but look how Bshadows amps up his 6th man meter and how the crowd just builds and builds

8 years later man
Old 09-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #59
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Man 8 years later it's almost the same *** rim sounds.

And swish sounds sound actually better in this. You can hear it at 4.09. It's pretty good.

Last edited by Vni; 09-07-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #60
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Man 8 years later it's almost the same *** rim sounds.

And swish sounds sound actually better in this. You can hear it at 4.09. It's pretty good.
Kinda but its pretty much the same..

The overall atmosphere is embarrassing to 2k15. Especially with every team having their own chants specifically and you could even create a school and choose one yourself.

Thing about the crowd though is, its just one blanket cheer they just turned up the volume on and its been like that from the beginning.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #61
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Forgot how good CHoops sounded. The crowd reacted appropriately to what's going on on the court.

If I recall didn't one of the Choops games have create a chant?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #62
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Forgot how good CHoops sounded. The crowd reacted appropriately to what's going on on the court.

If I recall didn't one of the Choops games have create a chant?
This is the one

This idea could've evolved into something great over time.

I Hope they really look into how the NBA atmosphere really is though sound wise
Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #63
MVP

lakers24's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Fantastic point man!! Dude they had so many good things in that game. Jersey was a good fit, lighting in the stadiums were right, and they had a mind for great atmosphere... TOTALLY got AWAY from that

Probably not the cleanest run but look how Bshadows amps up his 6th man meter and how the crowd just builds and builds

8 years later man
Wow, man I took the early to mid 2000's sports gaming for granted. I miss having a college bball game where you could import rookies into the NBA game. It just felt like the players you'd draft could have a bit of a story behind them. I remember I made a once in a lifetime recruit in my legacy and I was at UCLA and I thought I had him but he ended up going to Texas. His name was LaMicheal James (distant relative of LeBron), a 6'10 athletic monster who could do everything. He ended up winning the national championship the next year and was drafted number 1 by the Chicago Bulls in my association. He actually was an all-star his first year in the NBA too.

We can't get experiences like that anymore because this genre is so barren now. One hockey game, one football game, one baseball game, no college games, and for a couple of years there was only one basketball game. It's crazy. We don't even have those arcade games anymore like the Street series, NBA Ballers, etc.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #64
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

8 years later man
Man this made me miss college basketball! Could you image where that game would be by now?! Sigh!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »