Home

Defensive animations are too powerful

This is a discussion on Defensive animations are too powerful within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Defensive animations are too powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I just think its time for these basketball devs to start developing a real time physics engine. Thats the direction that sports games are starting to take.

An engine that takes into account ratings, size and speed. Lebron James shouldn't be stopped by hardly anyone 1 on 1, which would open up realistic and strategic double teaming opportunities.

I've always thought that 2k's heavy reliance on animations would be their biggest flaw on court. They at least need to allow every animation to be interrupted by a dribble move, shot or pass. Super annoying being a ball handler sucked into an animation AFTER you press the pass button, only to have him turn it over with a bad pass 3 seconds later after the animation is complete.
Yeah i agree but there are some guys that give lebron trouble and hes not the best 1 on 1 defender himself
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
Rookie

2KGAWDD's Arena

OVR: 0

Most people jus wanna spam turbo with lebron then complain when he doesnt make it to the rim. if you really watch nba games you notice when players are tightly defended they PASSS unless its a slower defender or a much needed basket players dont force as much as many 2k'ers do
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmasta86
I respectfully disagree with this post. The bump animation is a user playing effective defense. 9/10 times in MyTeam, if you get this animation, you are having a user effectively on ball defend you. Considering the internet lag makes it very hard to guard on ball... I would not over-react to this animation.

I would, however, complain about Center's who are guarding other big men in the paint. Often I will (what I can only describe as) slip off my defender, almost as if I am pushed off but there is no foul! As the Center, this makes me have to gather and come back and gives a chance for the other guy to get 2 pts.

VERY FRUSTRATION
This is a big problem in offline modes against the CPU as well. Part of the job of being a big man is to body up to prevent guys from getting and maintaining position under the rim. It seems like the CPU (and player opponents) are just made of teflon if they get underneath the basket.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Rookie

Unhappy Re: Defensive animations are too powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadlowe
This is a big problem in offline modes against the CPU as well. Part of the job of being a big man is to body up to prevent guys from getting and maintaining position under the rim. It seems like the CPU (and player opponents) are just made of teflon if they get underneath the basket.
YESSS EXACTLY! I am trying to box out Saph Blake or Kemp! I am focused on one of the most nitty gritty parts of B Ball - because I truly believe that controlling the paint and getting boards is the most essential thing for a W at the end of the game!

I am just at a loss that there must be some algorithm that penalizes users for focusing on what is going on under the basket.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Zab
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find if I get a step on a guy and he bodies me a bit late, I can still force my way to the hoop for the layup. Usually, it's either a foul or a make. When it matters, though, I seem to miss a lot - even when the game acknowledges it's a good shot attempt! I just shrug it off as MyCareer f***ery and continue on my way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Pro

I agree completely.

Maybe they did it so mismatches aren't so easy to overcome?

Either way, defense as a whole needs improving. They could make it easier for a SF to bully through a PG, but make it faster for the PG to recover and catch up to him.

Just trying to think of an alternative since I'm guessing this system is in place for it being a video game.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #23
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGAWDD
Most people jus wanna spam turbo with lebron then complain when he doesnt make it to the rim. if you really watch nba games you notice when players are tightly defended they PASSS unless its a slower defender or a much needed basket players dont force as much as many 2k'ers do
They even pass against a slower defender. I was watching the Spurs Trail Blazer game and Aldridge was switched on Tony Parker. Aldridge is decent in switches but I was surprised Parker didnt explore the matchup. He just ran the offense.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Some people think offensive players are too strong, some people defensive. Seems balanced to me in that case.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »