Home

Defensive animations are too powerful

This is a discussion on Defensive animations are too powerful within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #25
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Defensive animations are too powerful

It only becomes a problem to me when guys that are notoriously bad defenders suddenly turn into Avery Bradley. Especially in MyCareer. I do think it's cool when after I might drop 50 in a game, suddenly the next game, I'm being D'd up heavily, but JR Smith is not going to play that kind of defense. Never.

Hell, I've noticed that the CPU defense will key on me so much, they'll totally ignore the next person I pass to, just so long as I don't score the game treats it like some kind of victory.

Which might explain why if I don't get the arbitrary "Social Media" challenge, the game has people saying I got shut down. Yeah, Zach Randolph, I got shut down to the tune of 43 points, 13 dimes, and 11 rebounds. Totally shutdown...

But I digress. The game also likes to lock you into animations that you can't break out of even when the ball is right there, gotta finish the shot follow through no matter what.

But the CPU? Pfft. Let a ball get deflected, they're all over it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 10

I feel you, bad ball handlers and less skilled players should be the only ones picking up their dribble so often or struggling to blow past a defender.

There should be more quicker back off contact animations that trigger rather then those offense killing drawn out cinematic ones like these quicker ones for example at 2:13, 4:09, 5:23

2k just needs FASTER ANIMATIONS PERIOD.

Then better control = better defense to combat offense so 2k dont worry about offense being over powered just give us better control on d and you wont have to worry about putting in game breaking animations to stop it.

I will be very happy the day I could just probe the d like steve nash and at the same time be cautious b/c dwight howard is lurking around the paint like a shark LOL

but some of these animations take strategy out of the game bc they trash your ball movement/offense and thrash your defensive input/defense

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 01-21-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

"I've always thought that 2k's heavy reliance on animations would be their biggest flaw on court. They at least need to allow every animation to be interrupted by a dribble move, shot or pass. Super annoying being a ball handler sucked into an animation AFTER you press the pass button, only to have him turn it over with a bad pass 3 seconds later after the animation is complete."

This. Seriously this is so anooying. I don't know who thought that god awful animation needed to occur that much, but it's terribly implemented. Heh, i remember a while back 2k saying something like "every animation can be interrupted". Yeah sure. Canimations continue. What's worse is often times this animation doesn't even make sense for the situation.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 8

Can't stand that animation! I hit X then 3 seconds later he passes it.. .. right to a defender.

Pretty happy with defense out on the perimeter. I'm able to blow by people I should, and have a harder time with good defenders, but they really have to figure out the "LeBron running at *insert too-small, too weak PG/SG here* and getting completely stopped" scenario.

To combat this I try to run at a wide angle and avoid straight-on contact until after I initiate the shot animation. Most times (at least with my current slider set) LeBron *wins* the interaction with a contact dunk or layup, or gets the foul.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #29
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Some people think offensive players are too strong, some people defensive. Seems balanced to me in that case.
Not really. It just means some people don't know how to attack. And that HOF CPU forces animations that players can't even trigger no matter what.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KGAWDD
Most people jus wanna spam turbo with lebron then complain when he doesnt make it to the rim. if you really watch nba games you notice when players are tightly defended they PASSS unless its a slower defender or a much needed basket players dont force as much as many 2k'ers do

true, but you cant do that in 2k because after one dribble of slightly tight D your getting bumped, 2 second animation ****ed and then where you were passing to is no longer a valid option leaving you to force something for a turnover or dribbling into another animation
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #31
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Defensive animations are too powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I just think its time for these basketball devs to start developing a real time physics engine. Thats the direction that sports games are starting to take.

An engine that takes into account ratings, size and speed. Lebron James shouldn't be stopped by hardly anyone 1 on 1, which would open up realistic and strategic double teaming opportunities.

I've always thought that 2k's heavy reliance on animations would be their biggest flaw on court. They at least need to allow every animation to be interrupted by a dribble move, shot or pass. Super annoying being a ball handler sucked into an animation AFTER you press the pass button, only to have him turn it over with a bad pass 3 seconds later after the animation is complete.

It's a process...but I feel they are getting there. 2k14 has some of the best interactions at the rim that I bave seen on a basketball game..(that aren't two man animations like 2k11)...this is their second year going in that direction and I think they are doing pretty well, looking forward to 2k15's progress...

Completely agree about the way some of the animations interact...needs to continue to be tuned...

Regarding 1 on 1 situations...I think there has to be a balance...you don't just get by guys because they are mismatches, body's should
always be respected ...LeBrons actually a good example because his first step isn't quite what it used to be....so he's bullying past guys, not blowing by them..so what we have to figure out how this can properly be reflected in game...

If LeBron simply animates past all perceived mismatches were no better off IMO

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 01-21-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #32
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

to play off of 24th,

the first step is to replace "quickness" with acceleration and lateral agility ratings

then build off that animation wise factoring strength, acceleration, AND agility into what happens.

if the BH is stronger, but not as well off in the acceleration/agility things (say, lebron guarded by avery bradley) he wont dribble past him, but hes going to put the arm/should out and drive more vertical (direct to the basket) and go through the defender(no not with 2k's teleports!) rather than some long drawn out animation that circles half way around the arc

and if the BH is more agile/acceleratable(ya i made that up) he can blow by the defender before he even starts to get out of his "defensive stance" instead of triggering another bump animation that results in bad gameplay for that 2-5 seconds

Last edited by turty11; 01-21-2014 at 10:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »