Home

Defensive animations are too powerful

This is a discussion on Defensive animations are too powerful within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Defensive animations are too powerful

IMO these have been hurting this series for years. You all know that ones. A defender knocks a ball handle back 2 steps, and you cant do anything until the animation stops. Often Ill be charging towards the hoop on a Westbrook drive. A defender steps in, and locks me up in the animation. I should either bowl him over, or get a shoulder by him or I go a quick crossover.

These animations are like vortexes, and they kill ball movement.

I just watched Norris Cole then. He was met by a defender, but because he didnt meet him front on he was able to ride the contact and still get a pass off. Cant do that with current animations.

I understand the devs want us to be able to stop ball handlers. But they are nerfing ball movement. There is no way a player could replicate the Spurs ball movement.

There needs to be more variance. If Im a small guy and dribble at the middle of the chest of a big guy, absolutely, lets see that bumpback. But should Jose Calderon be able to contain Lebron if Lebron drives past his shoulder.

Id like to see a way of having defenders 'ride' (latch on may be a better word) the ball handler that slightly impedes his progress but still allows the ball handler to pass or shoot (it would count as a contested shot of course).

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Defensive animations are too powerful

Yeah, it's bad as is right now. They said a brand new build for next gen but all I see is 2k14 super HD.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2

Do you know how many times I've been dribbling with Lebron and been stopped cold by Patty Mills? It's pretty much every time.

FIFA has a nice system where the ball handler and defender engage in a way that feels as realistic as it can. I understand 2k and EA are different companies and want to be different from the other but 2k should really implement something like this for ball handlers in NBA.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

Yeah man I know exactly what you mean. It's very frustrating because this isn't sim nor real.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBoy93
Do you know how many times I've been dribbling with Lebron and been stopped cold by Patty Mills? It's pretty much every time.
Yep true.

What it seems to do is register if a defender is in the vicinity, and then the lock on animation occurs. Regardless of who the contact occurs, the speed at which it occurs, and the parts of the bodies it occurs on.

What needs to happen, is the game needs to anaylse a few things.

1. Who the ball handler is (strong, weak, moving fast, slowly etc)

2. Who the defender is.

3. What parts of the players' bodies take the contact. Driving at the defender's chest should trigger a different animation to when a ball handler drives past a defender's right shoulder.

At the moment, this interaction between defender and ball handler is simple and it hurts the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Yep true.

What it seems to do is register if a defender is in the vicinity, and then the lock on animation occurs. Regardless of who the contact occurs, the speed at which it occurs, and the parts of the bodies it occurs on.

What needs to happen, is the game needs to anaylse a few things.

1. Who the ball handler is (strong, weak, moving fast, slowly etc)

2. Who the defender is.

3. What parts of the players' bodies take the contact. Driving at the defender's chest should trigger a different animation to when a ball handler drives past a defender's right shoulder.

At the moment, this interaction between defender and ball handler is simple and it hurts the game.
Very good points, they need to incorporate a better system of defining who players are. Lebron shouldn't struggle to score on the block against Nate Robinson or Brian Roberts lol.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I wouldn't say too powerful it just needs to be more variety if animations based on :

Strength
Speed
Def Awareness
Hands
Height

Of the defensive player.

So you can really feel the difference in Kyle Korver guarding you vs Lebron James
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
I wouldn't say too powerful it just needs to be more variety if animations based on :

Strength
Speed
Def Awareness
Hands
Height

Of the defensive player.

So you can really feel the difference in Kyle Korver guarding you vs Lebron James
I agree 2k needs a "WEIGHT" system. Or at least a "POWER" structure. But if they did that lebron might be even more unstoppable. Players like hibbert,blake griffin and dwight could become overpowered too. Idk its a good suggestion but prolly hard to balance out in gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »