Home

Will this game still work once the servers are shutdown for future versions?

This is a discussion on Will this game still work once the servers are shutdown for future versions? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Will this game still work once the servers are shutdown for future versions?

Sorry if this has been hashed out. Just curious if always on games will be useless once new versions are introduced and servers are switched off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Will this game still work once the servers are shutdown for future versions?

Good question.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Will this game still work once the servers are shutdown for future versions?

I really never thought of this.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Yze
Rookie

OVR: 0

Partially most likely, you'd have to recreate offline saves though which is lol worthy. Also the VC imbalance would remain in points but without the option to purchase them. Plannen obsolesence is the future.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremser_Rules
Sorry if this has been hashed out. Just curious if always on games will be useless once new versions are introduced and servers are switched off.
My guess is they will keep servers going for the game's most recent 1 or 2 versions, and then no more.

They will also dedicate less data center power for the legacy versions so connectivity and reliability will be spotty. You know, as opposed to the stellar reliability of the servers for the most current release.

This is a feature, not a bug, of the always online business decision, by the the way. They will make it irritating for anyone who wants to get more than one year of value out of their initial purchase. Want to play console basketball? Pay for the new one.

The interesting wild card question is whether they will do what MLB the Show is rumored to be doing: let you import legacy game saves into the new game. You'd still have to buy the new game, but that at least could let guys keep MyPlayer toons they love or leagues they want to keep active, for example.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Pro

shegotgame's Arena

OVR: 5

I considered this last night. But it doesn't work now, so I wouldn't count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came to save the game like a memory card. - MF DOOM

Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

i think they will finally decide to spend some money to improve their servers because from now on the game would be vc based and this year fiasco will hurt their sales in the future, they dont care about online gameplay but they need better servers for the microtransactions
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 5

if I play just a season mode...does it have to be online connected like the other modes? or am I good to go? and it works right??

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »