Home

Examining Mygm and why it's vc implementation is good

This is a discussion on Examining Mygm and why it's vc implementation is good within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

Let's have a discussion that encompasses not only mygm as a whole, but the vc implementation in it, which I consider a good addition, of not a too over powering one

This is all my opinion of course, I am not right, my opinion is not the only that matters, but try and hear me out and then let's discuss what you think about it

firstly, let's get a few things out of the way here and please let's never discuss these factors again in this thread :

-stop whining about having to pay 500 vc just to change rotations, yes we all know it's stupid and shouldn't be there, but if you are truly still complaining about this, you need to stop, you are already given like 1k I'm Vc to start the game when u get it, you are given free vc codes constantly, when u get drafted in my career, u get 5000 vc for absolutely nothing, and there's an app that can easily net you 1k vc per day and more simply by opening it and pressing a button. Stop complaining about this 500 vc to change rotations, you pay it once and never pay it again.

-let's not talk about the bugs and people magically losing vc or their GM rating. This doesn't happen to everyone, I am sorry for your loss, but let's not discuss bugs or vc in this respect from this point forward, there are other threads that do so.

-30 team control is unrealistic, I don't care that you find CPU trades or signings unrealistic, I don't care that you want to control more than one team. This is MYGM, not association, there is no sport in which one GM controls everybody or multiple teams. Let's stop talking about this, it's nonsensical.

-also, trade override is unrealistic, using it makes you a cheater , and once again, it doesn't make sense and gives you too much control. No GM in real life can flip some switch and control every team or make any trade happen whenever they want. This is not association mode, this is a mode in which you play a role and are a person, with goals.

Now, let's discuss mygm. This mode is a sizeable improvement

Starting from players getting mad about their roles and playing time, to certain assistant GMs trying to steal your job, to a much better generic player draft, and some great vc implementations that, are so great that some are even overpowering and should be scaled back in 2k15.

The majority of my team, due to the things you can buy with vc, now has 99 stamina or an extremely high awareness rating. You are allowed to upgrade way too much, in such a way that you can turn any team into a super team, just by purchasing these facility upgrades.

There is even a my GM upgrade that allows all facility bonuses to get +3, which obviously makes you even more over powered

I now am in possession of a 97 overall Dwayne wade because if this, and a lebron with 99 offensive, defensive awareness, 99 quickness and 99 stamina. Not to mention a demarcus cousins with 95 stamina the, a full 20 points higher than his original stamina number, just through these vc purchases alone, and I can still buy another facility upgrade that will boost his quickness to 62 and stamina to 99.

Facility upgrades also give the user too much power in trade negotiation, due to a flaw that makes every facility upgrade boost given to your player basically non existent during trades (meaning if you boosted a player through the upgrades, when you go to trade them, you see their original overall) except for upgrades to player potential.

Meaning, you can easily pay to boost your players potential, increase their value, and trade for another player, in a deal that is obviously unfair to the CPU because I believe once that player leaves your team, the potential boost they receive dissappears. And also, the moment you get the player you traded for, their potential also gets the boost.

This is all to say that the user is given to many unfair advantages in mygm because of vc, however, if they were to cut down on the +# you get for each upgrade, they can perfect it and make it alot more balanced.

Is my gm still missing things like the d league? Yes, but so did association. Could some things be refined? Sure, but this mode is in its first year. Is it an improved over association and more realistic? Without question.

The ability to pep talk your players and try to get their morale up, or even lower their morale for a few games in order to have them play better is a nice addition. Talking to the media after a big trade is pretty cool and I wish there were more press conferences.

The effect the luxury tax has on your profits is a nice addition because you have to choose whether to disobey your owner by adding more salary through better players, or be a cheap team with less debt and more flexibility when free agency comes around

Players get mad when you try and trade for players at their position and you have to console them and tell them either the truth, or you can lie. All these things make the game more realistic and a better experience than association ever was in my opinion, and I really think that anyone that complains about this mode and the way it is, are thinking about it in the wrong way. This is not association mode, it may look like it, but they are two different things, two different experiences, and one is giving you or attempting to give you a real experience, while the other is an arcade game with unrealistic options

Is mygm perfect? No, it could use some improvements, you can be a bit overpowered, but it's better than the association ever was.

Last edited by RED BULL; 01-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Examining Mygm and why it's vc implementation is good

Mygm needed vc, the same way my career does. Vc essentially are experience points. Both modes ask you to play a role. Rpgs give you experience points for playing good, 2k does the same but calls it vc. You use the points to make yourself better. That's how these things work. Vc was necessary for these modes because 2k is giving you that rpg element. They even allow you to buy yourself clothes. They want you to inhabit the role. The biggest difference between vc and xp is that you can't buy xp. Vc in mygm makes sense, although it does overpower you. All they need to do is lower the +# you get from the upgrades, give you more money for completing goals and then it will be implemented nearly perfectly.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm glad you like it, but there's no reason association mode couldn't also be added as a game mode.

There are just more options available to those that like to control 30 teams etc.

Last edited by daam81; 01-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Rookie

Donny514's Arena

OVR: 9

This is not an RPG. This is a basketball game. Enough said.
NBA: Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daam81
I'm glad you like it, but there's no reason association mode could also be added as a game mode.

There are just more options available to those that like to control 30 teams etc.
From my perspective, association mode shouldn't be added back, when they announced mygm they said it was going to replace association. Can't people play 30 teams in season mode?

Why have association, season, and mygm?

There's no sense having 3 modes that are similar. If anything the only thing that should have been done was adding the ability to make season mode multiple years or something. But in that case, it's just mygm without being a GM, so that still doesn't make sense in having.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny514
This is not an RPG. This is a basketball game. Enough said.
Then why are you allowed to dress you player in suits, give him equipment, speak at press conferences and upgrades and special abilities?

Rpgs have these exact same elements, instead it's armor, conversations and attributes. There is no denying that my career and my gm incorporate Rpg elements and are now rpgs. My career even has cutscenes now

There is no denying this fact
Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm not sure how many takers you'll have on this. My perspective has always been that I have no issue with a mode like this for MyPlayer but not as a replacement for Association. Although different I find the mode redundant, linear and limiting while setting a bad precedent for worse things to come.

We don't need two role playing modes.

As far as positives...yes, I can see how elements of an RPG game could have a positive impact on an Association type mode but unlike MyPlayer I've always been left with the impression that a prescripted path isn't what the masses want out of this mode. Hence the alternatives offered in MyPlayer.

A point or VC system isn't all bad. So I can agree with you there. For comparison I actually liked the RPG style branching path implemented in NCAA's Dynasty mode. They didn't tear down the core of the game to implement a VC point system. I think that's the big difference.

You will never get me to stand against trade override or any kind of 30 team control. Many of us want to duplicate and mirror how things unfold in real life. We need more administrative options not less. Right now those in mid MyGM have to jump through hoops just to make the Deng trade.

VC isn't going anywhere but if we start supporting the current state of how their using it we're not going to like the end result. The happy medium of VC implementation will never be achieved if we don't push back a bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Rookie

Donny514's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED BULL
Then why are you allowed to dress you player in suits, give him equipment, speak at press conferences and upgrades and special abilities?

Rpgs have these exact same elements, instead it's armor, conversations and attributes. There is no denying that my career and my gm incorporate Rpg elements and are now rpgs. My career even has cutscenes now

There is no denying this fact
The point of what I said completely flew over your head. People don't buy NBA 2k to play an RPG like Skyrim or Fallout. It's supposed to be a sports game. Having this game be a RPG is the first spot where they go wrong because you can't script these events. For example, the fact that my MyPlayer talks really annoys me. He sounds nothing like what he looks like. Why do you think most great RPGs don't have a speaking role for the main character? Because it takes away from the immersion of the game. In a game where I'm the GM of a basketball team, why does playing one 12 minute game give me the ability to buy some facility where my players are automatically made better. The people who want to control all 30 teams should be allowed to, and not forced to follow some weird sports RPG that doesn't work at all.
NBA: Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »