Home

The five things that have saved NBA next gen for me

This is a discussion on The five things that have saved NBA next gen for me within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: The five things that have saved NBA next gen for me

Help D down lower but if you don't find a balance with a couple of other sliders it'll leave the paint open sometimes. Up the defensive awareness also.

Galaxy Note 2
Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #18
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
There's crazy depth once you get it right. So much depends on what team you are using also.

This is NOT my video, but may help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0MG5HHBtgo

Golden State is awesome to use as is Dallas. The Dirk - Monta pick and roll in this game is a thing of beauty.

I like that video also just wanted to say, especially the variety thats being shown on the picks...
Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #19
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

The importance of the pick and roll reminds me of how important defensive settings are
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #20
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

OVR: 2

IMO, the pick and roll is great as the OP stated.

there is a lot of variety and requires the user to make reads to beat the defense. if your roll man goes into the paint and it seems congested it is up to you understand where the help is coming from.

the defense rotation dictates where the next pass goes if you can't score with the ball handler...when you combine the layers of reads that the games requires you to make it is pretty realistic.

the most important part of the PNR is the set-up, you have to be sure that you set up your defender and use the screen effectively, patience is key and you shouldn't use turbo as your coming off the screen unless you feel you have a decided advantage (transition or no weakside help). if the set-up fails, the whole thing falls apart and you're left dribbling around..the solution to this is to re-screen, set your man up, come off the screen again.

first you read the defense on the screen itself...is your man going under or fighting over the top and trailing you or jumping the screen (maybe a chance for you to reject the screen and eat up the open space with the dribble)

then you have you have to recognize where the screener's defender is...is he playing soft of hedging hard to get the ball out of your hands (if he's playing hard, then the roll man may be open...if he's playing soft and you're hell-bent on passing you can pump-fake, drive at him or jump stop to engage him and then dump it off or make the appropriate read)

then you read the help on the roll man....if he's open underneath or popping just make the pass (the bounce pass is effective as wrap around if you can clear the screener's defender) or if there is help there, pass to the man who's defender left him

the passing reads typically go in this order:
1. roll man
2. other big tucked inside (most likely rotation)
3. weakside shooter (second most likely rotation)

the help or lack there of dictates where you pass the ball. i omitted the strong side shooter because that should be an obvious read and good teams will seldom help from that location (unless of course they are your 2k CPU teammates).

also, the pick and roll attack doesn't always need to generate a score directly...it just gets the defense moving if all else fails (provided you set up the screen appropriately and created a help situation on the roll man). even if you end up kicking to a guy spotting up, you don't have to shoot it, you can drive and get to the basket or create another rotation and dump it off underneath or to another open player.

the roll man even after catching the ball doesn't have to be a scorer all the time, he can then make the next pass to the open man if he catches it in a crowd or another defender rotates over.

i feel its pretty realistic and can actually serve as a training tool for young players learning to be effective in the pick and roll.

- Ricky Rubio quoting Magic Johnson

Last edited by jattnanga; 01-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #21
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree with all this, but this pick and roll game was in previous 2Ks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
There's crazy depth once you get it right. So much depends on what team you are using also.

This is NOT my video, but may help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0MG5HHBtgo

Golden State is awesome to use as is Dallas. The Dirk - Monta pick and roll in this game is a thing of beauty.
i agree with a lot of what the op said but my biggest issue with nba 2k is the p&r game. the screener often doesnt do what you want/expect him to.

the first big thing is that you have to decide whether youre going to slip roll or fade before the screen is even set rather than waiting to see how the defense reacts. you should be able to be flexible depending on the situation. the third clip in this video as soon as bargnani hedges as hard as he did garnett should have been able to slip even though the defender hadnt run into the pick yet. he had a wide open lane to the basket.

the second one is that you have to be a little too patient. in the nba the p&r is executed quickly often with the ball handler moving before the screen is set. in the game you have to wait until the screen is set before you can really use it because the screener doesnt set the pick on the defender but rather on a spot on the floor. so you have to steer your defender into it rather than having the screener set it in a good position.

if you call for a roll you expect them to roll straight to the basket right after the screen. if you call for a fade you expect them to fade to the open side right after the screen. even in this video you see him call for a roll but the screener never cuts properly. on the very first clip haslam ends up toward the corner just inside the three point line after the screen. if chalmers wasnt open there was no other option. not because the defense was good but because the screener didnt do what he was supposed to. same with the bosh screen for lebron. calls for the roll but bosh fades.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
I still don't understand how people are having success with the pick and roll game. Way, way more often than not, for me, designed pick plays are just junk. The roll guy just sets up and the defense just go around him. Keep in mind that's with plays that work according to the playbook thread. If I call for a pick the guy either doesn't come or if he does he rolls or fades with no regard to what I called. The defenders hedge me hard or avoid the pick. If it does work out, I end up throwing a pass nowhere near my guy and he bobbles it and it gets stripped.

I'd love help because I watch the CPU pick me apart with picks but outside of high picks with passes to guys sitting for open 3's I just find it useless.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
Use B or LT then your desired teammate and hold until ROLL. Bring out your center for a PnR and if the defenders are following you and not him, then that means it worked and he should be open in the paint.

I also like to use my G and PF for pick games to get people open on the perimeter. But even bringing out your center can do that. If he gets open in the paint, it is likely that the corner defender will collapse to try and defend him under the rim. That leaves your guy wide open for a three.

Try checking out some YT videos on people that play well. Here is mine, hope it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPmd...eCBHEtouHJH9fQ

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »