Home

My rant on signature skills

This is a discussion on My rant on signature skills within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: My rant on signature skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by caml17
Rondo isn't a lockdown defender?

If you're saying that the difference between the two is that LeBron is a better defender than Rondo, then just give him a better on-ball defense rating
Where is the substance in that? There is no originality or personalization in just making a rating do what certain players specialize in. Rondo might be a great on ball defender, but he's not going to be able to lock someone up in the post to force a miss the way Labron is.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
No, I did not miss your point. The issue here is you in fact do (did) not know what some of them do and given the fact you can't differentiate between a good on ball defender and a lock down defender, especially since the two exist in real life as well, shows me you know little about the sport.

I am not trying to offend you here, but if you are not going to be objective and just claim people miss your point when they don't agree, then what is the point of creating a thread?
What makes you think I didn't know what some of the attributes do? the only reason I claimed you missed my point is because neither of the responses addressed it at all in your posts. In my mind, a lockdown defender is just a term for a top-level (A+) on ball defender. Would you disagree?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
There is no originality or personalization in just making a rating do what certain players specialize in.
could you explain? not sure i understand this part. to me, if a player specializes in 3 point shooting, you would give him a high rating in 3 point shooting. i'm not sure what you mean by originality or personalization?

if you are talking about differentiation of how players play in the game, i would judge that by playing and seeing how they behave the game (based on ratings, sig skills, or otherwise) - not by looking to see what skills icons are assigned to them

Last edited by caml17; 01-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
What makes you think I didn't know what some of the attributes do? the only reason I claimed you missed my point is because neither of the responses addressed it at all in your posts. In my mind, a lockdown defender is just a term for a top-level (A+) on ball defender. Would you disagree?
U wrong right there bud. The lockdown icon enables a player to neutralize all of the offensive players icons. Its like a chess match...think of it like that. If i have one man fastbreak but u have chasedown artist they cancel each other out. U understand? Or they should cancel each other out. Just like any other game tho certain sigs are better than others but i mean thats life...if life isnt fair u cant expect a game to be right?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggyme1
U wrong right there bud. The lockdown icon enables a player to neutralize all of the offensive players icons. Its like a chess match...think of it like that. If i have one man fastbreak but u have chasedown artist they cancel each other out. U understand? Or they should cancel each other out. Just like any other game tho certain sigs are better than others but i mean thats life...if life isnt fair u cant expect a game to be right?
We were talking about the definition of a lockdown defender in real life
i was responding to:
Quote:
given the fact you can't differentiate between a good on ball defender and a lock down defender, especially since the two exist in real life as well, shows me you know little about the sport.

Last edited by caml17; 01-28-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Rookie

Donny514's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
could you explain? not sure i understand this part. to me, if a player specializes in 3 point shooting, you would give him a high rating in 3 point shooting. i'm not sure what you mean by originality or personalization?

if you are talking about differentiation of how players play in the game, i would judge that by playing and seeing how they behave the game (based on ratings, sig skills, or otherwise) - not by looking to see what skills icons are assigned to them
Right but if that same shooter excels at shooting from the corner much more than he does anywhere else, then there should a be a sig skill to address that. Giving players ratings and no skills lacks almost a fun value. Knowing that your player has these skills gives them another reason to be used in different situations.
NBA: Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Well then why don't you have a problem with the alley ooper sig skill then? There's a tendency for that. Not to mention there's a tendency for interceptor as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
rondo is a good on ball defender. lebron james is a lockdown defender. the heat will have lebron guard the hot player in crunch time to neutralize them.
Well Batum does the same thing you described LeBron doing, but I wouldn't say he's "lock down."

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »