Home

Tips/Settings to play good Defense?

This is a discussion on Tips/Settings to play good Defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Tips/Settings to play good Defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzy1206
How do you stop the CPU/Player from knocking down every open jumper no matter the player? On ps3 you could back off players with average jumps hooting abilities and take your percentages. Backing off of any guard/forward on this game to prevent the drive will cause them to go 9/10 every time. It's driving me insane!

1) Always play man (this isn't college)

2) Turn defensive assist to 0

3) Anticipate, don't react

4) Use hands up Defense on the right thumbstick

5) Rarely go for steals

6) Never press the block button unless you absolutely have to, leaving your feet is a no no

7) Always stay between your man and the basket

8) A good mixture of on ball and off ball is healthy depending on how your opponent plays

9) Don't take quick shots, take good shots so your team has time to get back, plus quick shots = your team tiring faster as they have to run to court more.

10) Take care of the ball Offensively

11) Make sure to avoid quickly passing the ball up court after successfully getting a steal
Implement those and I guarantee your defense will improve 10 fold

12) Utilize slip screens offensively to gain numbers in the paint, better to make them fight for offensive rebounds then have them get it quickly and get the easy fast outlet pass.

Just some basic stuff that helps my defense a lot.
[/quote]

It's going to depend on the player and your defensive scheme. There's often a sweet spot defensively that you can find that prevents the drive and prevents the shot.

As a starting guide around the 3 point line, choose one of three spots. A step outside, on the line or a step inside.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Tips/Settings to play good Defense?

I only play online, so I use the Points of Emphasis a lot.

Mainly play physical, shooters setting, lock down paint & create chaos.

However, I've noticed create chaos sometimes comes with random double teams.

Everybody plays the way they play, so you just have to adjust game by game. But just like real basketball...try to create turnovers.

Personally I try to create a lot of turnovers and play on ball 98% of the time. It's not hard to stay in front. Just make slight movements with the controller. Don't hold it all the way in one direction. Keep it near center but slight left/right/etc until the offense makes a drive. You have control over how much "force" your defender uses by how hard you press the stick and which direction you press it.

Also use both sticks to play defense. I use it to block shots and steals passes sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »