Home

We don't want DRM in this game

This is a discussion on We don't want DRM in this game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: We don't want DRM in this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I've theorized that pretty much the entire time. I don't think they saw that and said "**** it" and just didn't change it. I don't think they could change it. It's different from Microsoft being able to just do a firmware update and turn the stuff off from them being able to change what was basically implemented throughout the entire foundation of the game. If it was as easy as just turning it off, I think they would have once they started getting their heads kicked in by people for the decision.

It shouldve been seen from the jump that this was one of the worst ideas to ever come out of the company.

Building the eiffel tower but gimping the foundation is never a good idea.

Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #58
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
It shouldve been seen from the jump that this was one of the worst ideas to ever come out of the company.

Building the eiffel tower but gimping the foundation is never a good idea.

Galaxy Note 2
Not disagreeing with that at all. I've said that much a few times around here since this thing dropped. It's completely idiotic that nobody in the building had the sense enough to say "uhh guys, this is ****ing stupid and could cripple our product for the forseeable future."
Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #59
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Not disagreeing with that at all. I've said that much a few times around here since this thing dropped. It's completely idiotic that nobody in the building had the sense enough to say "uhh guys, this is ****ing stupid and could cripple our product for the forseeable future."

I think it was left out of the marketing on purpose. Just not sure anyone could've imagined the storm it's caused as a result but again you don't have to always see it to believe it or to know it's not a good idea

Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
MLB The Show took a shot at them and microtransactions with their announcement the other day.
I did not see this, may you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral
2K15 is already a guaranteed No-Go for me, so they have a good year and a half to convince me to buy their game again. I simply have no faith in their ability to fix everything that's wrong with this game, especially in time for next game.

The online requirement (though it's not exactly "required", it basically is) shows their lack of awareness in regards to our (paying customers) best interests. Everything done with NG 2K14 is basically for their benefit, which is fine, except that it pretty much ruins our playing experience. When you're sacrificing our experience with the game, to further your own initiative, then you have a big problem. Maybe they've heard/read our (numerous) complaints, and learned from the past few months, but, again, I just have no faith in their ability to properly fix it in time for the next game. Hell, every time they tried patching something, it just created more problems. It's like getting poor Gizmo wet. If only the original, un-patched 2K14 was as cute and lovable as Gizmo is.

It almost seems as if they put all of the online requirements in place thinking that the XBox One was going that route (as it was in the beginning). Then, when the public came out en masse and forced Microsoft to change their whole plan, 2K just said uckf it, and left it in place. Like, how can you see the kind of backlash that MS got, and still think it was a good idea to essentially force us to be online at every moment to play your game? Again, you see the lack of awareness. It's inexcusable.
I'm hoping for the absolute best, but I have a worry that 2K has dug themselves too deep of a hole to climb out of in a single year. I also fear 2K15 may just be about getting back to normalcy, at the expense of true innovation (as I'm assuming it'll take a lot of manpower to simply right the wrongs of 2K14). Granted, normalcy would be wonderful, but I'm definitely in wait-and-see mode. But that's still to say, I'm not cancelling out 2K15 just yet.

Also, props for the Gizmo reference.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 1

Why isn't this a sticky yet?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
The main problem I have with DRM is that when someone makes a roster or a draft class, they can't use it 3 or 4 years down the road when 2k kills the server.

How cruel is that? Hours upon hours of work to be wasted because we can't save files to our hard drive. A game that we paid for will become unplayable. Say it's 2017 and you want to revisit 2k14 for some weird reason. Guess what! You can't use your custom rosters anymore. Have fun with the default 2013-2014 season opener roster.

good luck with 3-4 years, I think dudes will be playing that default roster only much sooner than that.
I sold back in December at $40 and cut my losses- $20 rental in essence from first day purchase to mid dec. - live and learn

I recommend selling now while you can still can get a few $, and put towards whatever is next on your list.2k14 disc will be coaster status soon enough.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalam
I recommend selling now while you can still can get a few $, and put towards whatever is next on your list.2k14 disc will be coaster status soon enough.
You sir are stretching. Like stretching the hell outta it with that statement. 2k will keep the servers up and running until 2k16 is released, unless they come out and say otherwise. Besides, it's not a terrible game for the causal fans (but not so great for sim people), and when it drops to $30- for the game people will pick it up.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #64
Rookie

Cleveland Rocks's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJokester117
You sir are stretching. Like stretching the hell outta it with that statement. 2k will keep the servers up and running until 2k16 is released, unless they come out and say otherwise. Besides, it's not a terrible game for the causal fans (but not so great for sim people), and when it drops to $30- for the game people will pick it up.
I highly doubt that, they can barely keep them running now. No way they will have 3 years worth of files and games on their server. They want you to have to buy a new game; user replay value is their enemy. Clearly their concern is new purchases and likely by this time next year your 2k14 rosters will be toast.

Last edited by Cleveland Rocks; 03-05-2014 at 12:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »